Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times

Advertisements

To me, the American Dream has nothing to do with success or money.
Millions of people have migrated here through the decades with neither aspiration.
The great part of the dream is just to be an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 50,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Millions of people have migrated here through the decades with neither aspiration.
That got to be the most stupid thing I ever heard.

Quote:
During the Swedish emigration to the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries, about 1.3 million Swedes left Sweden for the United States of America
Swedish emigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You say that over 1 million of my countrymen left for America during a civil war and everything, just so they could call themselves Americans? Honestly?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I was born in America, and I am living the American Dream. To me, the "dream" is being free to make my own choices, to worship as I please, to own my own home (small and humble as it is), to go where I want, to be friends with whom I choose, to realize that I will reap what I sow in this life. I'm far from what many people probably picture as a huge success, but as an American, I am free and happy and blessed far beyond anything I could ask for.
That my friends is the American dream. FREEDOM.
That is the reality. Anything else is just what it is called "DREAM"

Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccaros View Post
The NY question was just me wondering.

This thread is about the American dream as a concept. Since it was used for foreigners going to America when it was a Dutch colony and later British, and at last an American nation. It was never for people born in America.

And the point was to prosper. Not being middle classed.
So someone comes to America to chase the "American Dream", but their children are not allowed to chase that dream because they are born here?

Silly assumption.

I think you misunderstand the American Dream.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That my friends is the American dream. FREEDOM.
That is the reality. Anything else is just what it is called "DREAM"
In Amsterdam you can smoke pot...

And in Europe you can speak your mind. It doesn't matter if it's politically incorrect such as minorities and crime.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So someone comes to America to chase the "American Dream", but their children are not allowed to chase that dream because they are born here?

Silly assumption.

I think you misunderstand the American Dream.
Then why is it called the American dream? And not the dream of success? Cause you have to go to America.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Quote:
That got to be the most stupid thing I ever heard.
Quote:
In Amsterdam you can smoke pot...
I'll rest my case.
Good luck to you.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I think there is too much TV being watched around the world about America and what Americans are.

Unless I’m mistaken, most Americans just want to be healthy, free, have a comfortable life for their family, give their children a good education, earn enough money to do all these things without fear of hardship and disappointment. Earning a larger then needed amount of wealth to do these things isn’t import. However earning just enough to enjoy living is needed.

Too many families are working two or three jobs at low pay just to make ends meet and they are worried that it isn’t enough to cover the bills. Too many mothers send their kids off to public schools with poor standards in bad areas of communities because there isn't anyplace else for them to go that they can afford.

Too many single moms out there raising their children by themselves without the support needed by the fathers. Too many families without health insurance. Too many kids who can’t get into college because of finances.

The typical American family isn’t all of what is seen on TV these days now or in the past. They struggle daily with all kinds of details in their lives. I think the American dream is gone for a large percentage of families. There are different types of foreigners who come here and become citizens. Many who are professionals can make a better life for themselves because of their education that they have brought with them. However others have to struggle to make a middle class income and live their dream. They find the freedoms that they wanted here compared to where they came from, but they lost many other important factors in their lives.

The country is full of problems and I would not want to be a young family starting out these days. Life is difficult for many.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Someone is smoking a 'pipe dream'...

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Someone is smoking a 'pipe dream'...
I also have a six-pack of beer wishes in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates