Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:11 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,704 times

Advertisements

Why american people are so concerned with issues about racism, homosexuality, politically correctness, prejudices, discrimination, collor of the people, people's nationality, etc... etc...??
Would not be better just to live and forget these things? Our life is so short.
Is this an anglo saxon characteristic?
I am latin and in my view all of this is nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:19 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Why american people are so concerned with issues about racism, homosexuality, politically correctness, prejudices, discrimination, collor of the people, people's nationality, etc... etc...??

Well since Rio has issues also with most of these same things, I would have to say that no it isnt anglo saxon or American only.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Well since Rio has issues also with most of these same things, I would have to say that no it isnt anglo saxon or American only.
Links please. Show where Rio's "issues" stem from those named concerns, as opposed to crime and poverty.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Links please. Show where Rio's "issues" stem from those named concerns, as opposed to crime and poverty.
I didnt say that Rios issues stemmed from those named concerns, I said that Rio also has racism, discrimination, etc... To say that it doesnt exist there is denial, as the OP was doing. He claimed that these are problems in America. I was just stating that it isnt just an American problem, when the country that the OP comes from, has these problems also.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM

335 posts, read 328,969 times
Quote:
Mexico, along with the other Hispanic/Latino majority countries, have these very same concerns with issues about racism, homosexuality, politically correctness, prejudices, discrimination, color of the people, people's nationality, etc. So no, it's not just an Anglo-Saxon characteristic. It's a characteristic of every race, every culture, and every country in the world.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
I didnt say that Rios issues stemmed from those named concerns, I said that Rio also has racism, discrimination, etc... To say that it doesnt exist there is denial, as the OP was doing. He claimed that these are problems in America. I was just stating that it isnt just an American problem, when the country that the OP comes from, has these problems also.
Poverty and crime are the problems in Rio, not racism. Every city has racism, and Rio is probably less racist than Stockholm. But Brazilians are less concerned about racism because they have bigger fish to fry. Living in a place
where there is high crime and steep poverty, the color of people is of a lot less importance.

When Brazil becomes a wealthy country with only a small poverty class, it will no doubt be the dark-colored Brazilians who are at the bottom of the economic curve and are most motivated to crime. But until then, racism is not an issue that is front and center in the minds of Brazilians. Americans can afford the luxury of racism, because economic problems do not take priority here.

And, Yes, you did say "Well since Rio has issues also with most of these same things".

Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,704 times
Quote:
I think you don't understood what I wrote.
Yes we have many problems in Rio, but we (brazilian people) are not concerned with this issues all the time. We just talk(slightly) about it.
We prefer to enjoy others best life's things: Beach, Sun, Nature, Friends, Women, Soccer and many, many others.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If you look at La Raz;NAACP and other moinrity groups 'its not a anglo problem at all.Anglo rarely about specail laws to advantage themsleves. Seems OP has in backwqards really.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Quote:
To say that it doesnt exist there is denial, as the OP was doing. He claimed that these are problems in America.
The OP is a bit open to interpretation. But I don't see where he is claiming the conditions don't exist at all.

My interpretation is that he is stating we would all be better off if we were not so preoccupied with those conditions. More like a 'live and let live' idea. Not worry about who is what. Just live our lives as best we can and forget about labeling everyone else. I agree with this.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:47 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
Simple--we can't get a good ball game with any one now days, that doesn't wear loafers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates