Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,663 times

Advertisements

First, I believe that jews should have their own country if for not other reason that jews have been expelled from 109 countries and territories since 250AD. Thats a lot of bouncing around for those people. And a lot of insecurity. But problems arise when we(U.S.) gives such over whelming support to Israel that it makes us enemies of other countries. Much of the reason that arab terrorists want to hurt us is because we give so much help to Israel. There is no balance in our approach to the middle eastern countries. We have given Israel billions of dollars in direct aid out of the public sector--that is tax dollars of the American workers. That much money could have been used for summer empoyment for youths to keep them off the streets, among many other uses that all that money could be used for. On top of that we give Israel unlimited military hardware. They get the best of what we have and much of it at no cost to them. So there is the problem. I think that we should treat Israel like any other country and when it is to our advantage to give them a few loans here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 03:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Personally lookig at the history of many middle east countries and what they supported just to the WWIII era says enough for me . Its goes far beyond our suport for Irael IMO;but commo values we share with Israel that mnay countires do not believe in that is the real difference. It wuld be like tryig not to anger the nazi's before WWII i so many. It comes down to basica beliefs o mna and their right to exist as free people ;IMO.I guess OP would have only fought the Nazi's if to our advantage instead of any real beleifs in any thing tho. That is Ops right but I strongly disagree;but think it strongly in the end to oppsoe such things as nazi's .

Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

166 posts, read 229,925 times
But the US only joined the second world war when it was attacked. It didn't join out of some high-minded belief in a particular way of life.
In any case, comparisons with WW2 and the Nazis are, usually, unhelpful and irrelevant to a discussion on the Middle East.

@ the OP: The current situation is too much. A more balanced approach is desirable IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Why do we need to rehash this topic over and over again? Why dont we go after Egypt and ask the same question? Or why dont you go after the Palestinians (West Bank & Gaza) who arent even a country are pumped with millions of dollars from the US and none from the Arab world (there is already a thread that covers this now)?

Why go after a country that currently has no Americans dying for and the money (75%+) that is sent them comes back to the US as purchases that create employment?

http://www.usaid.gov/policy/budget/cbj2011/2011_CBJ_SummaryTables.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I agree with you, Angorlee. We should withdraw all aid, but retain the right to destroy any nation that attacks Israel.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,483,283 times
This nation is crumbling from within. We used to #1 in almost everything before we became the global cop.

Let us tend to our own affairs. Israel can take care of itself. The Middle Eastern nations attacked it in the 40's when they were still moving in. Result: Complete Israeli victory/territory expansion(?)

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
The US supports Israel because it is in the best interests of the US. This has been the policy of both Republicans and Democrats, Conservatives and Liberals, the House, Senate and the White House.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The US supports Israel because it is in the best interests of the US.
You actually believe that?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
You actually believe that?
Yes. I most definitely and unequivocally believe that. I am a person who has been to the Middle East several times, to Israel and most of the nearby Arab countries as well.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,736,448 times
The theory goes: Your enemy's enemy is your friend. So, since we have many enemies in the area (or dubious friends), it is to the US's benefit to support Israel.

If we had the money to do so, I would support this. But since we are out of money, I think it would be best for us to save our money and use it to kick ass if and when we need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates