Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not sure if patriotism is the right word but is there anything wrong with a person who, regardless of country of origin, goes about his/her own life normally but deep down doesn't give a damn about his/her own country?

This person may have good intentions and will work to better mankind but completely rejects the notion of a nation and/or is completely oblivious or indifferent towards nationalism.
Sounds good in theory. But in practice, most people look toward some kind of government (even many who say they don't). So what happens in practice is that when allegiance to national government falters, the Global Elite move in with their world government/New World Order....which is a fascist state disguised as a democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
I believe our forefathers made it possible for any changes to be made to the government during the national convention held every four years. But this time is more of a parade and dog-and-pony-show than it is a government of the people for the people working to substantively improve the quality of life for all Americans. Maybe the usefulness of a two-party system has run its course? Surely another solution could be put in place. Even a Presiden't term could last six years without the opportunity for reelection.
The real problem isn't the 2 party system, but that our entire political system is gamed by a small elite. It's essentially 2 different ways of aggregating power. You control one segment of the population with the welfare state and the other segment with patriotism/religion/the warfare state.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What's "world government"
See David icke:

YouTube - ‪David Icke - Live At Oxford Union Debating Society 1/11‬‏

Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I am no longer a patriot.....nothing wrong with that............the USA has lost my respect for the most part..........it has gone more insane than Colonel Kurtz.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
....snipped...I used to support capitalism, the system that made the country great, until administration after administration, jobs were allowed to go overseas. The government satisfied the needs of major corporations to the point of lowering the American lifestyle....snipped...
I thought they went overseas because of America's higher tax rates, restrictions/rules and high wages....the government couldn't keep them from leaving.

I am a patriot and would fight for this country and the freedoms we have. I sure would not want the people who didn't really care in a foxhole with me.....or sitting back and letting me and mine do the fighting (if necessary) while they reap the benefits of that freedom.....

There are other countries I would not mind living in and those are "safe" countries. It doesn't mean I don't love America or would not fight to keep it free. I just like to experience other customs, scenery, food, etc, etc. But, I surely don't like government in America because I don't think they really give a damn about me, though I still think it is a great country.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Patriotism sucks! Because patriotism is the word used by the ignorant and intolerant to justify their xenonphobia, nationalism and hate for others. Freedom has nothing to do with patriotism.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Patriotism sucks! Because patriotism is the word used by the ignorant and intolerant to justify their xenonphobia, nationalism and hate for others. Freedom has nothing to do with patriotism.
That's just silly. It's entirely possible (and desireable) to be patriotic and see your country's faults at the same time.

I find it funny that you characterize all patriots as ignorant and intolerant, yet your very statement exhibited those very same qualities. Maybe it's time to take a look in the mirror

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Although the mega corporations control our government and would foster patriotism amongst we, the people, they do not show that loyalty themselves. When I heard that giant sucking sound of jobs going overseas and saw workers imported, both legally and not, to keep salaries down, and our government actually promoting this, I realized that I would be a fool to be loyal to the country.

We are forced into a position to look out for number one first, and not for the well being of the country as a whole. The only ideal that governs this country anymore is the almighty buck. Our politicians, to get money to get re-elected, must bow and scrape to the corporations. Our lifestyle is being sacrificed to the lowest common denominator - to the wages and lack of restrictions on business of third world nations.

We need some major reforms of government and nobody is even discussing this. We pretend that the media is free and voicing the concerns for a troubled democracy while we are all just being flushed down the drain. I pity our children.

The patriotism of the future will be the nightmare of Ayn Rand. We will all be 'patriotic' to the corporation we will be lucky enough to work for and not our country. Being only 'resources' and 'assets' to the company, we will be interchangeable and replaceable. The individual will count for very little.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The person would best be described as an ungrateful slob. You show loyalty to your family unless you're terribly mistreated and then you end all ties with them. But if they support you and make the effort to love you and include you in the family and you don't reciprocate and do nothing for them in return, if not from love then out of loyalty, you lack basic compassion and character.
You live in a society and country and take benefit from all it has so you should be willing to show gratitude and a willingness to repay them. That means fighting for them, obeying their laws, paying taxes, supporting businesses, etc. If you have a problem with that, then surrender your rights of citizenship and all the benefits thereof or leave.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not sure if patriotism is the right word but is there anything wrong with a person who, regardless of country of origin, goes about his/her own life normally but deep down doesn't give a damn about his/her own country?

This person may have good intentions and will work to better mankind but completely rejects the notion of a nation and/or is completely oblivious or indifferent towards nationalism.
Cos you mentioned..."regardless of country of origin", here's my opinion.

I mean no disrespect here either, it's just how I feel personally.

True patriots make the perfect puppets for governments and military. They put their pride in country before all else, and governments promote that patriotism ideal in the individual, in effect they 'institutionalize' the individual. Anyone who is not classed a patriot is looked upon with disdain and/or ostracized by those around them.

I love my country, but I hate the way governments are slowly stripping away numerous freedoms which MY forefathers fought and died for. I hate the way governments feed war efforts with the innocent and patriotic, whilst self serving officials and corporations make money from those innocents. I hate the way returning members of the forces are treated.

I remember very well how our soldiers were treated on returning from Vietnam, and I will NEVER forget the total lack of support from all and sundry at that time. THIS is what changed my attitude toward king/queen and country...I could not vote, I could not drink, I could not gamble etc etc because I was under legal age - and yet I could have a rifle shoved in my hands and sent miles away to fight - for WHAT? And on return get treated like DIRT?

If that represents patriotism, then I want no part of it. How can I be patriotic when every day jobs are sent overseas to maximise profits for the Corporation? How can I be patriotic when the only time I mean anything to the government of the day is when they want me to put my life on the line {any other time I'm a nobody}? How can I be patriotic when I see homeless, poverty, jobless, home and goods repossesions etc etc while banks and Corporations make ever increasing quarterly profits and governments spend squidillions on defense and other enterprises when some of that money could be put to better use in giving people a job, a house, and a better standard of living in the 21st century?

Nup, I'm afraid any patriotism I may have had as a teenager went out the back door with the Vietnam fiasco. And I'm feeling less patriotic as each day passes with the obscene profits being made by a few whilst most everyone else is getting closer to that soup kitchen line up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates