Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times

Advertisements

Families are to blame.

I don't buy the schools aren't good enough. You can probably take 100 students from rural China who study in the crummiest schools, give them the same schools in the inner cities here in America which has far superior resources and infrastructure than anything that they have, and I promise you, these kids will probably end up in top 30 universities.

It starts with family values. If the family doesn't value education, the kids won't. If there is no guidance at home, the child won't know that they need to get a good education. It's that simple.

Stop blaming teachers and our schools. Even the schools in our inner city have far better infrastructure and resources than 95% of schools in other countries. Yet their students are far superior. So I do not buy it.

Moderator cut: Refrain from using hyperbolic and charged language.

Last edited by TheViking85; 08-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Removed charged language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Families are to blame.

I don't buy the schools aren't good enough. You can probably take 100 students from rural China who study in the crummiest schools, give them the same schools in the inner cities here in America which has far superior resources and infrastructure than anything that they have, and I promise you, these kids will probably end up in top 30 universities.

It starts with family values. If the family doesn't value education, the kids won't. If there is no guidance at home, the child won't know that they need to get a good education. It's that simple.

Stop blaming teachers and our schools. Even the schools in our inner city have far better infrastructure and resources than 95% of schools in other countries. Yet their students are far superior. So I do not buy it.
I agree... yet at the same time, it is also clear that there are teachers who are in the bottom 10%. About 10% of all teachers are in the bottom 10% . Everyone (including those bad teachers) would be better off if they switched careers to something else.

Last edited by TheViking85; 08-28-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree... yet at the same time, it is also clear that there are teachers who are in the bottom 10%. About 10% of all teachers are in the bottom 10% . Everyone (including those bad teachers) would be better off if they switched careers to something else.
Sure. But they are not the reason why minority kids in the inner city perform poorly compared to White and Asian kids.

It's a result of values. If it's a family that places education as a priority, their children will likely perform well regardless of the school.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I think the answer is self-evident. Who would step up and say: "You cannot tell, (punish, or exhert any other controls) [insert child's name here] without my permission!"

Society has been forced to take the results of poor parenting for generations, and the sad thing is that because the poorly reared children are perpetuating the poor practices their parents taught them -- and multiplying at an alarming rate, the problems just get worse.

Schools are trapped. The parents balk at paying education taxes, and then balk at school's rules, curriculum's, and disciplines -- and we all pay the price.

Personally, I think the world's oldest profession is actually parenting, and it should be regulated and licensed.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I don't buy the schools aren't good enough.

I agree.

My point would be... "are there ANY children in the class getting an "A" or "B"? If there are, how is it that they are getting the information, but others aren't? The teacher stands in front of the class - the same class that "A" AND "F" student are in. How can we blame the educational system when there are kids who pass with above average grades?

Now... if ALL the kids at a particular school have average to below average grades, then it's something to take a look at. Until then, if there's a variance of grades, it can't be the school.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I have heard that many schools teach to the test, meaning that the concern is that the students pass the standardized test and not so much for caring if the kids learn how to read and write. If that is the case in your childs school then the responsibility is toward the parent to make sure that your child can read and write. My daughter won't go to bed till I have read to her for a half hour or so. She is a beggining reader and is ahead of the game. She starts Kindergarten on Thursday. We didn't wait for her to start school before we taught her the alphabet, how to read, how to count, how to add and we are working on subtracting now. My sons are in a similar boat as my daughter. I use her as an example because she is just starting out. We expect the kids to read everyday. It is a priority. Sure we have a couple that would rather spend time on the computer. That is limited in our home so that they have more time for what is important. For us it is the focus that we are a big part of the educational process. If you were to ask me I would say that it is a team effort. Who wouldn't want to be there for their kids and help in the process.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have heard that many schools teach to the test, meaning that the concern is that the students pass the standardized test and not so much for caring if the kids learn how to read and write. ...
We had children in public-funded school in Connecticut. There the testing is done four times each year. Each time is for 2 weeks. For a total of eight weeks consumed by 'testing' each year.

The first time, each page of test material is given and openly discussed. Each problem is worked through as a group, for 2 weeks.

Then the next time, they are given a segment of the test in the first period, the remainder of the day is spent in review.

The third time, when they are given each segment they are timed. Followed by group review.

The fourth time there is no review.

So each student has three shots at the exact same test, in slow motion with practice before the 'real' test is given.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
If your school district is failing then get involved. Throw out the board, run for a board position yourself. And make sure your own children study smart. I believe it is the parents who are mostly to blame for a child's poor performance.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Mostly it is the fault of parents.

It's pretty simple.

If you don't read, then how do you expect your children to?

If you don't expect a child of six to do his or her homework, how are you going to get them to do it when they're fifteen?

If you allow the television or XBox to be turned on during the week, then you are essentially telling your child what's important.

If you don't attend parent night at the school or parent/teacher conferences, then you can't know what's going on with your child's education.

And if your child is regularly bringing home Cs, Ds, and Fs, then you are asleep at the switch.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,142 times
Default Are schools, parents, society or are all to blame for childrens poor performances?

I believe that all are to blame. We have all probably heard"It takes a village to raise a child". I am in total agreement with this ideology. I all the above mentioned participants work together towards the same goal, our children's performance would improve. The children would recieve a more holistic education. They would learn through academics, real world experience and wisdom from their elders/parents. This would help to make children become more well-rounded individuals. I believe that when thier is a weak link in the chain, it places a tremendous amount of responsibilty on the others links/persons that form the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates