Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would anyone get upset over anything Taylor Swift says?
That line was only a reminder - she is FAR from the only one throwing this line around.
This way of thinking is part of contemporary mainstream culture...and I am just questioning it. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I'll fight to the death for things like reproductive freedoms, but if someone calls an airhead a name, well....she's on her own. Put on your big girl pants and deal with it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm an ardent feminist, and I think the very idea is the height of absurdity. Feminism is about choice and the fight for rights which were denied women for so many years.
It's not about sticking up for another woman "no matter what". Just because we have a uterus in common is no reason to agree with everything every woman ever does. It's ridiculous.
There.
Feminism was supposed to stop at righting the wrongs, the injustices and abuses that had been done as a result of some men taking advantage of their economic and legal advantages.
For this, however, it takes human decency, not "feminism".

In the US, feminism has gone way, way past that stage.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'll fight to the death for things like reproductive freedoms, but if someone calls an airhead a name, well....she's on her own. Put on your big girl pants and deal with it.
I choose to see reproductive freedoms as a question of human rights - not feminism.
Women are humans - just like men. Each with their own set of specific problems, vulnerabilities, nature-assigned burdens, strengths and weaknesses.

Perhaps we should look at what is fair, ethical, right and humane - case by case, for ALL humans, men and women...instead of acting in in the name of "female gangs" vs. "male gangs".

The whole idea of "feminism" reminds me of the "old boys' club" concept and both of them smell like rotten fish to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am a woman -I have always been one; but one who had the privilege of NOT having grown up in a society brainwashed by feminist absurdities.
So I sometimes find myself wondering how can people, men or women, take for granted this crazy idea that women should always support other women regardless of what issue is at stake.

I saw this idea circulated all over the place in western societies. I was reminded of it because I was just reading something about some singer, Taylor Swift, who supposedly got mad at two comediennes for having dared to make some light joke about her love life when...according to her, "women should always support other women"!!.
From such trifle exchanges to serious debates over the economic role of working parents vs. stay-ay-home parents in contemporary society, which are taboo among American women because any rational arguments might spark "animosity" among the two categories...the "women should always support other women" has become an unwritten and unquestioned rule.

Why would I support any kind of human being, man or woman, whose actions/ways etc. I know to be wrong? How in the world can this absurdity fly around unchecked?

I thought a person of character, whether man or woman, was to stand up or argue for what is right, what is moral, true or ethical. Not for "femaleness" or "maleness" - just because they happen to have the same gender. I never signed up to be part of some "universal female gang".

I do understand that historically speaking, and on average, women have had fewer economic and legal privileges than men. Also, my closest relationships, except for my husband, are indeed with women (sister, mother).
But that doesn't mean I will join some universal sorority and see ALL women as immune from any sort of criticism, regardless of what they do.
I generally don't take what 23 year old singers have to say too seriously. Especially when the topic is one's love life.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its pretty cut throat in the office, when u say support each other what that translates into is posse up and go get archie bunker.
after that happens they go after each other.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Taylor Swift, Sarah Palin, Madeline Albright! oh my!

I certainly don't support someone just because she is a woman and I don't know where in the world you are hearing this message so often. Perhaps you could provide some more examples.

What I do believe is that men and women are inherently different, and that, as women, we could have a certain level of understanding of how other women think, feel, and act.

I understand the "mama grizzly" in Sarah Palin, and how she feels protective of her kids. That doesn't mean I'd vote for her in an election. I understand the (apparently frequent) heartbreak that Taylor Swift experiences. That doesn't mean I'm going to buy her music. I understand moms being pulled in many different directions all at once, and how difficult it can be to pick the right direction, and to try to have a balance in her life. I understand this, even if she chooses a different path than I would.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am a woman -I have always been one; but one who had the privilege of NOT having grown up in a society brainwashed by feminist absurdities.
So I sometimes find myself wondering how can people, men or women, take for granted this crazy idea that women should always support other women regardless of what issue is at stake.

I saw this idea circulated all over the place in western societies. I was reminded of it because I was just reading something about some singer, Taylor Swift, who supposedly got mad at two comediennes for having dared to make some light joke about her love life when...according to her, "women should always support other women"!!.

Why would I support any kind of human being, man or woman, whose actions/ways etc. I know to be wrong? How in the world can this absurdity fly around unchecked?
That is a gross oversimplification and misinterpretation of the sentiment, never is it assumed to be unconditional but related to specific issues of gender bias. Perhaps more research is in order as your understanding of the principles of feminism seem a little lacking.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-06-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I generally don't take what 23 year old singers have to say too seriously. Especially when the topic is one's love life.
What is the minimum age that people should be taken seriously and considered to have wisdom? If not 23, maybe 27, 32, 39....?

The point that some people are missing is to avoid "group think". I should not feel I have to agree with another guy just because I am a guy and the same goes for women being able to disagree with other women. We should decide issues on their merit and peer pressure probably plays too big a role. The fact that Taylor Swift's comment was the example is beside the point. Another example of the same thinking by someone older could have been mentioned to demonstrate the same idea. People are getting too hung up on that.

What Syracusa is saying is we should not submit to mindless conformity in our views whether it be due to being of the same sex or other factor. I thought it was fairly easy to understand and agree with it.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
What is the minimum age that people should be taken seriously and considered to have wisdom? If not 23, maybe 27, 32, 39....?

The point that some people are missing is to avoid "group think". I should not feel I have to agree with another guy just because I am a guy and the same goes for women being able to disagree with other women. We should decide issues on their merit and peer pressure probably plays too big a role. The fact that Taylor Swift's comment was the example is beside the point. Another example of the same thinking by someone older could have been mentioned to demonstrate the same idea. People are getting too hung up on that.

What Syracusa is saying is we should not submit to mindless conformity in our views whether it be due to being of the same sex or other factor. I thought it was fairly easy to understand and agree with it.
and should have been if the OP want's to have a serious conversation. I don't think this message is "out there" as much as the OP seems to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates