Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM

46 posts, read 66,318 times

Advertisements

I have an ongoing argument with my husband who does not have a great sense of words or how to use them.
His argument is that he knows what he means when he says something and the meaning I take away is my problem.
My argument is that if he wants to be understood he needs to take more care with the words he chooses and how he uses them.
Ultimately who do you think is responsible for the words one speaks....the speaker or the person being spoken to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
It's everybody's responsibility to attain enough of a mastery of their language and communication skills that they should be willing to take responsibility for what they say. Of course, misunderstandings occur and are sometimes not the fault of the person being misunderstood. But it's not right to just throw up one's hands and say, "that's your problem for not understanding me properly." They should make some effort to clear up the misunderstanding by clarifying their position as much as possible.

Interesting question, though. Reps for that.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrlm View Post
I have an ongoing argument with my husband who does not have a great sense of words or how to use them.
His argument is that he knows what he means when he says something and the meaning I take away is my problem.
My argument is that if he wants to be understood he needs to take more care with the words he chooses and how he uses them.
Ultimately who do you think is responsible for the words one speaks....the speaker or the person being spoken to?
In my opinon it is both. I do not know how long you have been married to your husband. However, after a while couples do know each other better and often learn to learn what the other meant, not perfectly I must say.

Any language is not perfect and people are not perfect in expressing themselves so there is a double strike against communication.

Going back with my answer. In communication the sender does try to be as clear with what he is saying and the receiver should ask for clarification.

In many cases the words are not as important as the body language, the context, the situation, etc. Maybe YOU do not have enough savy to pick up on those and other factors. That is why I said both.

Everytime you point the finger at someone, remember that three of your fingers are pointing back at you. So it may be a good idea where you may be contributing to the break in communcation. Take care.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM

211 posts, read 301,984 times
Excellent question, and one I've pondered long and hard myself. It's hard for me to describe, but I'll try. I get frustrated and angry when someone misconstrues what I'm trying to tell them. But after the fact, I tell myself that they were entitled to their interpretation just as I'm entitled to feel aggrieved at being misunderstood. That is, I can feel justified at getting angry with someone who misunderstood me while still admitting that they did not misinterpret my words on purpose since there may have been a way to better express my stance.

Gosh, that really is a hard question to answer

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrlm View Post
I find it interesting that you both blame each other. Being a good wife you ought to know that if you got the wrong understanding it has to be your fault. No man has ever made a mistake in his life. LOL

Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Men are from Mars & Women are from Venus. We speak different languages. Good luck with that.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
I think if you want someone to understand what you're saying, it's up to you (the speaker) to say it right, and in a way that whoever you're talking to, knows exactly what you mean.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,861 times
My Dad was letter perfect when he talked about things, and even though he would know what I was talking about when I made a language misstep he still felt the need to correct me. He really liked it when I called the refrigerator an icebox. Since he had been born back when there was an iceman delivering blocks of ice, he was in his element. He would explain to me how the machines we use now are refrigerators because they "refrigerate" what we put in them, and the "ice box" was pretty well self explanatory. This would be the conversation every time I would forget, and slip with ice box instead of refrigerator. And each time he finished explaining he would tell me that it's ok, he knew what I meant. Now, my wife is channeling my Dad, and corrects me relentlessly. I can't win for losing. Know what I mean??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates