Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The thing you, or I should say Donna Ferentes, doesn't acknowledge is that a conspiracy theory is only a theory if there is no evidence. She loses her whole argument within the first sentence of her second characteristic. Once the conspiracy theory has evidence, no matter how small or flimsy it is, it is no longer a conspiracy theory, it is now a conspiracy. Also, I am interested to hear how asking questions make someone arrogant? If anything creating a list like this makes someone arrogant.

To the OP. When I first saw the title of this thread I knew that 80% of it would be ignorant people cracking jokes as that is how topics such as this are addressed in today's society. However, I am glad to see that some people actually do spend time thinking about this. I started to realize and think about these issues back in 2008 when I was a freshman in college. Before then I was living in a bubble under my parents roof. Nothing mattered to me as long as I had money on the weekends. Once I moved away to college everything changed. I started to see the world as it really was; ignorant people walking around in a daze, working their 9-5, unable to even contemplate the simplest question their is, "why?" I think the turning point in history was the industrial revolution. It created a belief among many that the earth was no longer important for existence, seemingly becoming nothing more than a huge playground, rather than a life source. I agree that there will come a time (it may or may not have already begun) that a great awakening will take place, however, I think it will be a spiritual awakening caused by a terrible disaster (be it war, natural disaster, or some other kind of event). At this point people will reevaluate their morals and values, and begin to remember what is really important in life. Until then, just keep observing all the ignorant people who derive their happiness from escalade's, ipod's, and how many points the S&P 500 made today, and say to yourself "I'm glad I'm not them".

I doubt people working in a dirty, coal-driven factory 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (if they were lucky) saw the earth as a big "playground". The Industrial Revolution was just that because it allowed humanity to be much more productive than it had been previously.

Have you ever worked on a farm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I was almost with the op till she said the answer was 'love.'

Wtf?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Wtf?
"they say our love can't pay the rent..."

Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Wtf?
Is it really that difficult to grasp and comprehend? That's sad. It pretty much means the opposite of war, destruction, control, hate, discrimination, greed, or downright indifference. The world would be a better place for everyone with more love for one another.

"It is better to court naive optimisim than it is to settle into the inertia of despair." VB Price

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-11-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:

To the OP. When I first saw the title of this thread I knew that 80% of it would be ignorant people cracking jokes as that is how topics such as this are addressed in today's society. However, I am glad to see that some people actually do spend time thinking about this. I started to realize and think about these issues back in 2008 when I was a freshman in college. Before then I was living in a bubble under my parents roof. Nothing mattered to me as long as I had money on the weekends. Once I moved away to college everything changed. I started to see the world as it really was; ignorant people walking around in a daze, working their 9-5, unable to even contemplate the simplest question their is, "why?" I think the turning point in history was the industrial revolution. It created a belief among many that the earth was no longer important for existence, seemingly becoming nothing more than a huge playground, rather than a life source. I agree that there will come a time (it may or may not have already begun) that a great awakening will take place, however, I think it will be a spiritual awakening caused by a terrible disaster (be it war, natural disaster, or some other kind of event). At this point people will reevaluate their morals and values, and begin to remember what is really important in life. Until then, just keep observing all the ignorant people who derive their happiness from escalade's, ipod's, and how many points the S&P 500 made today, and say to yourself "I'm glad I'm not them".
Well said. I don't want to get into this too deep, but I do believe we are currently in the midst of an "enlightenment" period. However, I don't necessarily think it will be one event, but a gradual yet increasingly rapid process. People are increasingly awakened-and awakened/aware are suitable terms to describe it. We are the masters of our own universe and our destiny. I hope for a globally conscious and connected yet highly localized and community-oriented World.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I doubt people working in a dirty, coal-driven factory 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (if they were lucky) saw the earth as a big "playground". The Industrial Revolution was just that because it allowed humanity to be much more productive than it had been previously.

Have you ever worked on a farm?
I was talking humanity in general began to view earth as a playground. What I meant by playground was that people began to view the earth as a mere platform to exist on, rather than a life source. In terms of farming, the industrial revolution has actually done an extraordinary amount of damage. Before the 1800's farmers were forced to rotate their crops throughout the year since different crops used different nutrients, allowing other nutrients to be replenished. With the invention of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, farmers are now allowed to grow one or two specific crops all year around. This leads to the deterioration of soil. Genetically modified foods (as the OP addressed) are now required otherwise farms would fail.

I have always been fascinated by the following quote from the Matrix. It seems doom and gloom, however, I think it sheds light on a problem most people don't want to acknowledge.

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

-Agent Smith

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I was talking humanity in general began to view earth as a playground. What I meant by playground was that people began to view the earth as a mere platform to exist on, rather than a life source. In terms of farming, the industrial revolution has actually done an extraordinary amount of damage. Before the 1800's farmers were forced to rotate their crops throughout the year since different crops used different nutrients, allowing other nutrients to be replenished. With the invention of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, farmers are now allowed to grow one or two specific crops all year around. This leads to the deterioration of soil. Genetically modified foods (as the OP addressed) are now required otherwise farms would fail.

I have always been fascinated by the following quote from the Matrix. It seems doom and gloom, however, I think it sheds light on a problem most people don't want to acknowledge.

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

-Agent Smith
I'm posting this from my car , on my cell phone, while I'm driving, because I'm using text dictation. You are, at the very least, using a keyboard. I just don't think your view of what should be happening at all lines up with a reality you would be able to live in.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'm posting this from my car , on my cell phone, while I'm driving, because I'm using text dictation. You are, at the very least, using a keyboard. I just don't think your view of what should be happening at all lines up with a reality you would be able to live in.
You are going to have to expound on your last statement. I am not quite sure what you meant by it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Shouldn't this crap be in a different forum?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You are going to have to expound on your last statement. I am not quite sure what you meant by it.
It means that yes, degradation of farm land, etc. is a reasonable thing to be worried about... but I know I wouldn't want to live in a purely agrarian society, and I doubt you would, either.

As an aside, environmental quality, as a function of development, generally follows a "bell curve" shaped progression- when a society is at a very low (hunter-gatherer) stage in its development, it has little effect on the environment- when it's in the midst of becoming a developed society, it has significant negative effects on the environment, and then, as a society becomes rich enough that it can start worrying about the environment, "environmental awareness" happens.

Believe it or not, we're in the third stage of that progression; the Cuyahoga river isn't in danger of catching fire again any time soon. You may not believe it, but we're actually doing pretty well building a sustainable environment for ourselves, at least in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates