Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM

310 posts, read 1,356,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was almost with the op till she said the answer was 'love.'

Wtf?
Why not love? That is the one thing you shouldn't be afraid of lol. I think what OP means is that in order to overcome the hate in the world, we must not let ourselves be filled with hate. Hate destroys everything. You cannot fight hate with hate. You can't put out fire with fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Shouldn't this crap be in a different forum?
Isn't it rather dangerous to use one's entire vocabulary in a single sentence?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists
A useful guide by Donna Ferentes

1. Arrogance. They are always fact-seekers, questioners, people who are trying to discover the truth: sceptics are always "sheep", patsies for Messrs Bush and Blair etc.

2. Relentlessness. They will always go on and on about a conspiracy no matter how little evidence they have to go on or how much of what they have is simply discredited. (Moreover, as per 1. above, even if you listen to them ninety-eight times, the ninety-ninth time, when you say "no thanks", you'll be called a "sheep" again.) Additionally, they have no capacity for precis whatsoever. They go on and on at enormous length.

3. Inability to answer questions. For people who loudly advertise their determination to the principle of questioning everything, they're pretty poor at answering direct questions from sceptics about the claims that they make.

4. Fondness for certain stock phrases. These include Cicero's "cui bono?" (of which it can be said that Cicero understood the importance of having evidence to back it up) and Conan Doyle's "once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth". What these phrases have in common is that they are attempts to absolve themselves from any responsibility to produce positive, hard evidence themselves: you simply "eliminate the impossible" (i.e. say the official account can't stand scrutiny) which means that the wild allegation of your choice, based on "cui bono?" (which is always the government) is therefore the truth.

5. Inability to employ or understand Occam's Razor. Aided by the principle in 4. above, conspiracy theorists never notice that the small inconsistencies in the accounts which they reject are dwarfed by the enormous, gaping holes in logic, likelihood and evidence in any alternative account.

6. Inability to tell good evidence from bad. Conspiracy theorists have no place for peer-review, for scientific knowledge, for the respectability of sources. The fact that a claim has been made by anybody, anywhere, is enough for them to reproduce it and demand that the questions it raises be answered, as if intellectual enquiry were a matter of responding to every rumour. While they do this, of course, they will claim to have "open minds" and abuse the sceptics for apparently lacking same.

7. Inability to withdraw. It's a rare day indeed when a conspiracy theorist admits that a claim they have made has turned out to be without foundation, whether it be the overall claim itself or any of the evidence produced to support it. Moreover they have a liking (see 3. above) for the technique of avoiding discussion of their claims by "swamping" - piling on a whole lot more material rather than respond to the objections sceptics make to the previous lot.

8. Leaping to conclusions. Conspiracy theorists are very keen indeed to declare the "official" account totally discredited without having remotely enough cause so to do. Of course this enables them to wheel on the Conan Doyle quote as in 4. above. Small inconsistencies in the account of an event, small unanswered questions, small problems in timing of differences in procedure from previous events of the same kind are all more than adequate to declare the "official" account clearly and definitively discredited. It goes without saying that it is not necessary to prove that these inconsistencies are either relevant, or that they even definitely exist.

9. Using previous conspiracies as evidence to support their claims. This argument invokes scandals like the Birmingham Six, the Bologna station bombings, the Zinoviev letter and so on in order to try and demonstrate that their conspiracy theory should be accorded some weight (because it's “happened before”.) They do not pause to reflect that the conspiracies they are touting are almost always far more unlikely and complicated than the real-life conspiracies with which they make comparison, or that the fact that something might potentially happen does not, in and of itself, make it anything other than extremely unlikely.

10. It's always a conspiracy. And it is, isn't it? No sooner has the body been discovered, the bomb gone off, than the same people are producing the same old stuff, demanding that there are questions which need to be answered, at the same unbearable length. Because the most important thing about these people is that they are people entirely lacking in discrimination. They cannot tell a good theory from a bad one, they cannot tell good evidence from bad evidence and they cannot tell a good source from a bad one. And for that reason, they always come up with the same answer when they ask the same question.

Ten characteristics of conspiracy theorists - a look into the mind of conspiraloons, nutjobs and tin foil hatters
So you answer this post by copy and pasting "Ten Characteristics of Conspiracy Theorists" off the net. Wow. Way to use your own mind.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
So you answer this post by copy and pasting "Ten Characteristics of Conspiracy Theorists" off the net. Wow. Way to use your own mind.
Wait, now citing information is something you can be attacked for?

THE ONLY IDEAS ALLOWED TO BE EXPRESSED ARE ONES YOU CAME UP WITH JUST NOW BY YOURSELF AND NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER HAD, WAKE UP SHEEPLE THE ILLUMINATI LIZARD PEOPLE ARE PUTTING NEW WORLD ORDER ZIONISTS IN OUR CEREAL

Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
The entire premise of the OP is that if I don't accept Alex Jones-style conspiracy theories, then I'm unawakened and unenlightened. How incredibly arrogant!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 40,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The sources you used to "educate" yourself about fluoride, chemtrails, the Illuminati, the Mayan calendar, etc.: How do you know that they aren't lying?
I use my experience.

First: Chemtrails. Yes I did discover most of it online, but then I actually began to notice the chemtrails in the sky. I saw them with my own eyes and made my own opinion. These trails do not DISSIPATE. They linger. Regular old jet trails will DISSIPATE. I saw multiple planes the other day all spraying "chemtrails" directly above me while driving. Why were there multiple planes, all flying different directions, some going up, some flying in circles. What is the point in those patterns. These planes didn't have a destination. They were staying in the general area. They weren't crop planes. So I ask myself: What are they spraying in the air? Critically think.

Second: Fluoride. I have had experience with fluoride. When I was growing up, I developed mild dental fluorosis, which was just some white staining on my teeth. The dentist told me and my mom and said it was from too much fluoride consumption. I remember him having a negative opinion about fluoride, but I didn't think much of it at the time. He recommended non-fluoride toothpaste.

My kid's pediatrician recommended fluoride supplements for my kids since we had well water. My neighbor's pediatrician had recommended them to her daughter, too, and she was giving them to her. I declined the use of the fluoride supplements because of my previous experience with fluorosis as I had the feeling it wasn't necessary. We moved last year to a town and no longer have well water. The water here is very heavily fluoridated. I didn't know much about water fluoridation yet, and thought it was safe to drink the water. As soon as my kids started drinking the water, they got brown staining on their teeth. I panicked and took them to the dentist ASAP. Since it was brown staining and not the white, I didn't think of dental fluorosis being the culprit. The dentist told me it was dehydration, which I intuitively felt that was not right. They were drinking plenty of water. Eating right, etc. That just couldn't be right. I went home and did my research and found out about the brown staining and also about water fluoridation. I found a site that lets the public know which water supplies are fluoridated or not and the town we live in is definitely fluoridated. I started to get angry. I question why? Why are they putting this in our water. I signed multiple petitions, I tried to spread awareness, I thought about calling the old pediatrician office to voice my opinion on the issue to that doctor who recommended my babies take that poison, I called the actual water department, which is actually based out of florida, and my concerns fell on deaf ears. "Oh you're going to have to call the congressman of Illinois... I'm not really the person in charge... We are required by LAW to put fluoride in the water..." and so on and so forth.

I got on the Illuminati kick after witnessing today's music videos and seeing the occult symbolism everywhere. It's so messed up. It's not just in the music, it's in the media, movies, you name it! Look up logos and illuminati and you will see the PROOF. To me that is proof. There is too much a coincidence to not wake up and see it. Go to Vigilant Citizen to see for yourself.

I noticed they moved this post to "General U.S. category." Go figure. This was meant for the WORLD to see so that they all know what's going on. Not just America. Fluoridation is banned in other countries. GMOs are banned in other countries. Why not America? Why did they move this post here? I don't see why it's not a world issue. Bull ****.

Back to the fluoride thing again, just to emphasize the ignorance of some people in my country (not stupidity, ignorance. I'm not insulting anyone. People are just unaware.) I went to the local grocery store here in town to buy my water because I'm not drinking poison. BTW, I stopped letting my kids drink the water and the brown stains are gone now. Dehydration my ass. Oh and guess how he "treated" my kids' teeth that day? More fluoride! Anyway, I went to the local grocery store, buying my water, and the cashier who is this nice older woman asks me about my purchase. I tell her outright that fluoride is bad and that I'm not drinking the tap water. She actually supported the idea that fluoride is "good" all because of a single fluoride treatment her son got. She said proudly, "Well ever since my son got that fluoride treatment when he was little, he had no cavities." I didn't press the matter, after all people have their own beliefs, but I wondered what else she did to protect her son's teeth. Surely brushing them everyday and limiting sweets would help. Perhaps she had well water. Who knows. I'm not buying that fluoride is or ever was good for us at all.

Guy who worked for municipal water company based out of Florida, same thing. Tried the old "It's been done for years so therefore it must be safe" argument. Not buying it. I call BULL **** on that. Just because someone tells you fluoride is good and it doesn't cause any problems right away doesn't mean it's not bad in the long run. There are diseases now that were unheard of back in the day.

More about fluoride. Does anyone else here know how toxic it is? They had a fluoride leak here in Rock Island Illinois and it ATE THE CONCRETE. It MELTED IT. It was on the news, but no one cared! Why??? Because they're all on fluoride! What is the main ingredient in Prozac? "Fluoxetine." Hydrofluorosilicic acid. Poison!

You don't even need research to tell how bad GMOs are. All you need to do is listen to your body. Pay attention to how your body reacts to certain foods.

Anyway. These are some examples of my own experience with it. I put the research together with my experience and formed an opinion.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulmelody View Post
I use my experience.

Anyway. These are some examples of my own experience with it. I put the research together with my experience and formed an opinion.
My experience tells me that fur grows on the inside of my cat's stomach. I have strong evidence to back this up. Every so often, I watch her. She chokes for a while and then, voila, a hairball comes out. It's obvious that she's growing hair in her gullet. Since this is my own opinion based on my own experience it must be true. You unenlightened souls are just too benighted to realize the truth. The illuminati tell me she's just swallowing fur as she licks herself and coughing it up later. Their lackeys in the mainstream veterinary sciences are either duped into believing this or they're also in on the conspiracy. I know they're wrong, though, because my experience tells me differently.

Are you enlightened? Are you awake?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Wait, now citing information is something you can be attacked for?

THE ONLY IDEAS ALLOWED TO BE EXPRESSED ARE ONES YOU CAME UP WITH JUST NOW BY YOURSELF AND NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER HAD, WAKE UP SHEEPLE THE ILLUMINATI LIZARD PEOPLE ARE PUTTING NEW WORLD ORDER ZIONISTS IN OUR CEREAL
There is no point in attacking each other. What the heck do you accomplish by doing so? Just let it go. Accept that others will have their opinions, do no allow them to dissuade you from having your own opinion. Simple. You are the one in control. If you allow someone to alter your beliefs, then that is your doing. Honestly what can you possibly gain by losing your temper over someone else's opinion. It only makes YOU feel bad in the end. And why do we have to assume everything is an attack. Why not just assume that it is just an opinion and nothing more. Therefore, it's not really a threat.

As for citing information, in all fairness, your citing of information was to prove what point exacty? To try and prove the OP is wrong and a crazy conspiracy theorist? Is it that you share the opinions of the cited information? That's your opinion, then, but is it original? Opinions are all formed mostly from unoriginal sources anyway. We hear something about something, we read about it, etc. Unless you experience it for yourself, there is NO WAY to tell the truth. I was sharing my experiences and sharing my opinion based on my experiences. You have every right, it's everyone in the whole world's right, to have your own opinion about what I say.

Those of you who agree with my post, that's great to know that I'm not the only one. It was NOT my intention to try and convince everyone on here what I believe. I only wanted to share what I've discovered in hopes that maybe somehow my experiences can help others in some way. Who knows what way that may be, but I put it out there for all to see and criticize how they want. I can't control what people think of it, that is up to them to decide. Good for those of you who agree, and good for those of you who disagree. If you agree, then my intuition must be right. If you don't agree, that is good that you don't let someone tell you what to believe. I'm not going to judge any of you for not agreeing with me. That's fine if you don't. The fact is, the purpose of these online forums is to talk about subjects that interest us and are curious about, ask questions, etc, and that is just what I did.

Thanks for taking time to read my post.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
What nation on earth is the most free or claims to be? Which nation on earth claims it is the most free? If you say the US then why does it have the largest prison population on the entire planet? Think about it for a second ----freedom to do what exactly? It's freedom to hustle for a buck within a legal frame work. Break those rules, to jail you go. No, its not about real freedom at all and never was. No, we are not a free nation. But one does have the freedom in the states to be really free if one wants to.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
My experience tells me that fur grows on the inside of my cat's stomach. I have strong evidence to back this up. Every so often, I watch her. She chokes for a while and then, voila, a hairball comes out. It's obvious that she's growing hair in her gullet. Since this is my own opinion based on my own experience it must be true. You unenlightened souls are just too benighted to realize the truth. The illuminati tell me she's just swallowing fur as she licks herself and coughing it up later. Their lackeys in the mainstream veterinary sciences are either duped into believing this or they're also in on the conspiracy. I know they're wrong, though, because my experience tells me differently.

Are you enlightened? Are you awake?
Told ya. My own opinion. I just don't see why we need fluoride in our water or some junk sprayed into our air or why there is an all-seeing eye on the back of the dollar bill, and so on. I get where you are coming from. Smart*ass.

Exactly, though. Believe nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates