Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Seems like most of the facebook gripes come down to 1-the individual not knowing how to use it. Seriously, if someone is posting 30 ______ items a day clogging up your news feed you can do 1 of 2 things. a)remove them from your friends list or b)check the "do not show in newsfeed" option. Basically unsubscribing from them but retaining them as a friend. 2-A lot of anti-social, I don't care about your life comments. I can't recall the last time someone posted what they had to eat unless of course they were vacationing somewhere. Other than that, I don't get play by play events of my friends lives. Based on the tone of these comments, I wonder if these are associates and not friends and that the person saying them just doesn't have anyone close to them in their life.
I do have my gripes with facebook, and I do protect myself by providing facebook with false personal info as to protect myself. But it's nice to know what's going on with close friends and family without having to call (I hate talking on the phone) or emailing them (How many times has your email ended up in their spam folder, they never got it, their email got hacked so they have a new one and you dont' know what it is, etc). It's also easier to organize parties and events. If I have nothing to do on a Friday night, rather than spam 50 phones with "what are you into tonight?", I can make a wall post on facebook and find someone to hang out with, without bothering everyone I know.
I guess my defense of facebook is, it's just a tool. You make it what it is. It doesn't have to be your life. The hatred and "go to hell" retorts or not needed and would indicate that someone is just flat out unhappy in their lives.

So you have to jump through hoops to set it up so that you see what you want. Many people would rather just opt out. I resent the insinuation that people who do choose to simply opt out are antisocial!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
The other thing that happens there and I really don't like is the "keeping up with the Jonses" syndrome...like say someone's got a new car, and then they have a need to flaunt it to everyone else...I did have blocked ppl because those "people you may know" suggestions got old really soon...but like Ankhharu said....if someone has friends nearby...it make sense to post one post and see what everyone's up too....but when nobody is around it is truly useless.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Seems like most of the facebook gripes come down to 1-the individual not knowing how to use it. Seriously, if someone is posting 30 ______ items a day clogging up your news feed you can do 1 of 2 things. a)remove them from your friends list or b)check the "do not show in newsfeed" option. Basically unsubscribing from them but retaining them as a friend. 2-A lot of anti-social, I don't care about your life comments. I can't recall the last time someone posted what they had to eat unless of course they were vacationing somewhere. Other than that, I don't get play by play events of my friends lives. Based on the tone of these comments, I wonder if these are associates and not friends and that the person saying them just doesn't have anyone close to them in their life.
I do have my gripes with facebook, and I do protect myself by providing facebook with false personal info as to protect myself. But it's nice to know what's going on with close friends and family without having to call (I hate talking on the phone) or emailing them (How many times has your email ended up in their spam folder, they never got it, their email got hacked so they have a new one and you dont' know what it is, etc). It's also easier to organize parties and events. If I have nothing to do on a Friday night, rather than spam 50 phones with "what are you into tonight?", I can make a wall post on facebook and find someone to hang out with, without bothering everyone I know.
I guess my defense of facebook is, it's just a tool. You make it what it is. It doesn't have to be your life. The hatred and "go to hell" retorts or not needed and would indicate that someone is just flat out unhappy in their lives.

this is something i dont care about.

i was told by a family member that my SIL, (love her), had to let everyone know it was time to get naked.
and her GF posts under it, it is always time to be naked.

we do not need to know this, thank you very much. way way way too much un needed info.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I feel the same way, if you aren't in my life, then your not supposed to be. I have enough stuff to keep me busy without FB.

and if i knew you in HS and havent seen or talked to you since we graduated, why would i give a rats azz about you now, or even be interested....
Regarding old friends, I can understand that people are too busy to not have much time to reconnect with old friends. But damn, it makes me feel kinda sad to know that in the years that I've been on Facebook, only two of my high school friends searched for my name and found my profile. And they just happened to be my two closest friends from high school.

But what about all my other friends and acquaintances from high school and from before? Don't they ever wonder about me? Growing up, I was fairly popular. Wouldn't those people want to know what I'm doing now, what I look like now, etc? It kind of makes me feel underappreciated knowing they haven't searched for me. Same thing with former coworkers.

I myself searched for several names of old friends and acquaintances, some of whom I first met in elementary school. But, when I found their profiles I was too chicken to send them a friend request. I figured maybe they have no interest in catching up with me.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I
I'm just not a fan of creating work and additional stress where none should exist, and Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. all seem like a lot of work and stress with very little – if any – real reward . I prefer to spend my time actually living offline instead of bragging (lying) about it online.
That may well be the case for you - just don't assume that's the case for others.

For me, the reward for being on Facebook is that I get to see lots of terrific pictures of my grandchildren in Guam, and in England, and my son and his new wife in Korea, and my son and his steady girlfriend in Austin. I get to keep up with my cousins and we really enjoy messaging each other. They are in New Orleans, New York, Montana, North Carolina, you name it...all over the place.

Facebook has helped keep our very spread out family close. I'm grateful for that.

As for "lying" about our lives - I can only speak for myself and my family, but I can assure you what we post is not lies. It's events from our very real offline lives. Maybe you aren't inclined to post true events online, but don't assume that others aren't.

Others have mentioned that they feel no need to connect with people from the past. That's fine. But I am a former military brat and military wife. Our whole family is military. I have been able to reconnect through FB with people I thought were disappeared from my life forever, and it's been fun! For very mobile people whose families are spread far and wide, FB - if managed well - can be a terrific way to keep connections that might otherwise be very weakened - or lost.

Here's another thing to think about. I am fifty one years old. My kids are in their twenties. I may not have chosen FB as the main mode of conversation, but THEY have. If I want to keep up with their lives, I meet them where they are, so to speak. I want to make communication easy, not hard. I don't want to have to tell them, "I know you update FB a lot, but when you upload photos of the grandkids, be sure you also take more time and write me an email, attaching those pictures. Repeat yourself in other words."

My parents are elderly. They don't have FB accounts, but they do have email accounts. My kids know this, and do send them the occasional email with photos. But my parents don't receive NEARLY the wealth of communication and photos that I do - people aren't generally going to double up on communications, even if they fully intend to and mean to be thoughtful and consistent.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-10-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
So you have to jump through hoops to set it up so that you see what you want. Many people would rather just opt out. I resent the insinuation that people who do choose to simply opt out are antisocial!
It's really not "jumping through hoops". There is a little drop down arrow next to each person's posts and you click it, then click "hide". It's simple.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Regarding old friends, I can understand that people are too busy to not have much time to reconnect with old friends. But damn, it makes me feel kinda sad to know that in the years that I've been on Facebook, only two of my high school friends searched for my name and found my profile. And they just happened to be my two closest friends from high school.

But what about all my other friends and acquaintances from high school and from before? Don't they ever wonder about me? Growing up, I was fairly popular. Wouldn't those people want to know what I'm doing now, what I look like now, etc? It kind of makes me feel underappreciated knowing they haven't searched for me. Same thing with former coworkers.

I myself searched for several names of old friends and acquaintances, some of whom I first met in elementary school. But, when I found their profiles I was too chicken to send them a friend request. I figured maybe they have no interest in catching up with me.

1- What about them? - they probably have busy lives and don't even give you thought.

2- Probably not - they probably have other things to think about than wonder about you.

3- Not really - Why would you think they would want to know what you are doing now?

4-Probably not - They probably could care less what you look like now.

5-Same thing with former co-workers - Once you leave a job, you are basically forgotten about.

6- Your probably right, they probably don't

this isnt to come off cruel, but once you leave HS, your life goes on, acquantainces are just that, nothing more, nothing less. As for friends in HS, once you graduate your life usually changes and people usually change as well.

peoples lives go on, kids, family, jobs....I never think about anyone from my HS days, not interested, same with previous jobs, not interested.

I have no desire to 'catch up' with an old friend from HS, I really have no interest.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
Default Peons being used. ???

Since it became a publicly traded corporation it is nothing but a bunch of peons doing free advertising for commercial entities and for large for corporations. It always was just a stupid little website for the peons to toot thier own horn on.

Like this post or click on this picture and your life will become perfect !

Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I find that facebook is best for kids. Pure superficial nonsense IMO.

I deactivated my account last year and feel at peace.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Not interested.

I don't need my off-handed remarks to be a matter of public record for the rest of my life.
Exactly.. It's there forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates