Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post

Whites have the unearned honor of being "raceless" in our society.
Blacks, latinos, Asians etc, are described as "ethnic". We are otherized as being African-American or Asian-American despite the fact that most of us have never been to Africa or Asia. Whites are not "Caucasian-American" or "European-American". Whites usually simply describe themselves as "normal". See the problem here?

When white people come off as racist even in the slightest form, it is the worst in the eyes of minorities because this is a society designed by in large to cater to the needs of white people first and foremost.
Try living in some African or Caribbean countries.
Over there, the black people are the racless, normal, standard people and the Whites or other nonblacks are the "Other". And I don't see what's really wrong with it.*shrug*.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Ever been to a race at Talladega? Walk through the bleachers and try to find "senior management" grammar. You can't cherry pick a problem common to many racial cultures (if you do find "senior management grammar", then I think you've found University of Alabama Kappa Alphas or Beta Theta Pi's who ARE going to law/medical school later).
Thats selective bias. Youre going to the places where you would expect to find the datapoints to meet your hypothesis.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Thats selective bias. Youre going to the places where you would expect to find the datapoints to meet your hypothesis.
That's fair enough. Let's go to a truly egalitarian venue then... Like Walmart. In Mississippi.

Anyway, my point is that elite characteristics are rare across racial lines and it should come as no surprise when you meet an American who is incompetent, regardless of race. Unless he or she is from Alaska. Stupid and incompetent people don't usually live long enough to reproduce there.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The problem with race in America is people take it personally and most have no clue about the plight of the other. People talk about Black culture but fail to see what is h a opening in the Black community is American made. YES it is the direct result of slavery and Kim Crow. You just can't expect a wound so deep to heal over night. As for something as affirmative action when society won't act right then the GOV. has to step in. I'm just glad to in each generation th ed are more good people than bad. There were many White people who fought slavery and helped the cause of civil rights but they don't get the promotion they deserve.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The problem with race in America is people take it personally and most have no clue about the plight of the other. People talk about Black culture but fail to see what is h a opening in the Black community is American made. YES it is the direct result of slavery and Kim Crow. You just can't expect a wound so deep to heal over night. As for something as affirmative action when society won't act right then the GOV. has to step in. I'm just glad to in each generation th ed are more good people than bad. There were many White people who fought slavery and helped the cause of civil rights but they don't get the promotion they deserve.
And you don't go to the doctor to stitch up my leg because my great great grandfather may have cut his.

Affirmative action punishes people for the sins of another generation with which they may have had no ties.

It's like allowing a jury to place the relatives of a criminal in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates