Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM

351 posts, read 501,300 times

Advertisements

Why are Americans so afraid to confront the issue of race? Many other countries have had populations experience racism, yet do not try to sweep it under the rug. But contradicting this culture of trying to avoid discussions on race, people always cry "RACISM!" after getting insulted. I have seen this many times in the US with blacks claiming whites are racist just because they insult them, though the insulst had nothing to do with race.

e.g.If you don't vote for Obama, blacks will consider you racist.
Not saying everyone is like this, but enough to be noticed.

And affirmative action, isn't that inherently racist? Favoring blacks and Hispanics (that lack merit) and making whites have to work harder to get into better schools or jobs. Isn't that reverse discrimination? If blacks had to work harder than whites, wouldn't the blacks be rioting and protesting on the streets about racism?

The Trayvon Martin case was another one blown out of proportion by the black population as a hate crime against blacks, when that makes no sense.

Thoughts?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM

36,704 posts, read 67,788,638 times
What are you talking about? Race is a major issue all over the world, not just here.

Fascist, Racist, Neo-Nazism nourished by Crisis in Europe - YouTube

Migrants rally in Greece against racism - Press TV News - YouTube

Racism In England Against British Pakistanis (British Nationals) - YouTube

Racism on the rise in France - YouTube

Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post

And affirmative action, isn't that inherently racist?

Favoring blacks and Hispanics (that lack merit) and making whites have to work harder to get into better schools or jobs. Isn't that reverse discrimination?

Thoughts?
1. No

2. In the United States, affirmative action refers to equal opportunity employment measures that Federal contractors and subcontractors are legally required to adopt. These measures are intended to prevent discrimination against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of "color, religion, sex, or national origin". It has also worked quite well in the U.S. Army...

3. Those are my thoughts and observations. 18Montclair has shown some good examples in his post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What are you talking about? Race is a major issue all over the world, not just here.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,585,848 times
Quote:
The Trayvon Martin case was another one blown out of proportion by the black population as a hate crime against blacks, when that makes no sense.

Thoughts?
Not that it should matter, but I'm white.

I'm going to follow you around in my car then pursue you on foot with a firearm simply because you "look" suspicious, even though you're just walking home. I initiate this series of events and you end up dead. I face trial only because of local demand for justice and national outrage. The state has a nonsensical law on the book that lets me skate, effectively encouraging this behavior as state policy.

My thoughts? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,305,645 times
Quote:
Why are Americans so afraid to confront the issue of race? Many other countries have had populations experience racism, yet do not try to sweep it under the rug.
It is not true in most countries that one race of people owned people of another race. That a makes it a delicate but not impossible topic to address.
Quote:
And affirmative action, isn't that inherently racist? Favoring blacks and Hispanics (that lack merit) and making whites have to work harder to get into better schools or jobs. Isn't that reverse discrimination? If blacks had to work harder than whites, wouldn't the blacks be rioting and protesting on the streets about racism?
Like many people, you do not understand Affirmative Action. It simply requires that employers who do business with the federal government make equal outreach (i.e., take affirmative actions) to encourage women and minorities to apply for work. These employers then pick the best qualified candidates from that diverse slate, regardless of race or gender. In fact, it would be illegal to hire a woman or a minority because of their gender or race.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM

861 posts, read 1,116,173 times
Quote:
Why are Americans so afraid to confront the issue of race? Many other countries have had populations experience racism, yet do not try to sweep it under the rug. But contradicting this culture of trying to avoid discussions on race, people always cry "RACISM!" after getting insulted. I have seen this many times in the US with blacks claiming whites are racist just because they insult them, though the insulst had nothing to do with race.

e.g.If you don't vote for Obama, blacks will consider you racist.
Not saying everyone is like this, but enough to be noticed.

Thoughts?
It was not blown out of proportion. Sadly, racism is alive and well. It's very naive to think otherwise.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,248,790 times
It's alive alright and it exists in all races including blacks. When you talk about race in America, it usually means blacks and whites. Most whites won't talk about it because traditionally blacks can't talk about it without threats and violence as well as lawsuits.

Whites typically feel that it's better to just shut up and endure it. That's not to say racism is not alive and well in the white ranks because it is. However, I don't know too many blacks that look at whites with smiles and hugs either. It's a Mexican (no pun intended) standoff and both sides try to ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room.

It's definitely brewing and there is no telling what's next. The current President was voted in primarily on white votes and I'm confident at least 1/3 of them would take it back if they could. If anything, he more than added fuel to the fire.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,110,796 times
It seems like the talk about race has been that the whites are racist and no one else is. I'm not white, BTW. Seems the biggest victims are blacks and then Hispanics.

Problem is that there are plenty of poverty pimps and race hustlers such as Michael Pflegler, Jesse, Al, etc. who make their living by keeping people oppressed, uneducated and ignorant. They make their living by mixing up trouble.

We've become an incredibly politically correct society.

Reverse the Trayvon scenario: white kid in black neighborhood.

I guarantee he'd be looked at with as much suspicion and would've been physically engaged even earlier by a neighborhood resident.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM

16,518 posts, read 26,456,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
It was not blown out of proportion. Sadly, racism is alive and well. It's very naive to think otherwise.
It was too. As a black male, it was blown way out of proportion. He should have went to prison, yes. Although, why do these people care about Trayvon in Florida? A 18 year old just got shot by his classmate Saturday at our state fair just a couple miles from me. We should worry about the local crimes..

Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,863,580 times
Why is it an issue? My opinion is that we are too busy trying to be politically correct or not offend someone to actually address the real problems in this country. We'd rather make token efforts than take true corrective measures, probably because it will take too much work or someone will wind up being offended. Sometimes the solution will not be the most popular choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates