Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
I'm ex-military. U.S. military (to my regret). Awarded the combat action ribbon as well (worthless garbage I threw away). And every convict in the U.S. prisons was held above me and honored above me by U.S. women (from my environment).

I don't agree with much you said. But I agree with some.
Thanks for the reply. I am curious what part you do not agree. I do not think I presented a view, more like and observation of what I see how people tend to recognize things. Actually the only point that is my belief is that a bum and a Soldier are just as American. Do you disagree with that? Take care.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:22 PM

134 posts, read 252,388 times
Stirring up trouble, I see. Well, it is their job and they did sign up for it. Just like miners, firemen, policemen and so on sign up for dangerous jobs. Although I personally do not worship veterans, I do realize that they dedicate their lives to their country and I appreciate that they do so. Many of them return home in body bags, some with missing limbs, and others with terrible emotional scars. Why would it bother you that people want to show their appreciation to those people who do so?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Yep, just a job they signed up to do. If anyone wants to say that, then the first people they should start with are the "professional" athletes and celebrities that people worship so much these days. What's their contribution to our country or to society in general? Some people act like they would do their job for free.

I suppose it would be better if people were forced to go overseas to fight. Or I suppose that if we just left our enemies alone, they'll just do the same and not want to fight us here.

Fire fighters are my heroes, I think what they do is insane. You couldn't pay me enough to run into a burning building.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default It's absolutely justified

My dad is a WWII veteran, and cherishes the memories. The experience helped make him the man that he is, which in turn benefited me. He's battling Alzheimer's now, but I honor him as a great father, a great man, and a veteran.

These people put their lives on the line in service to this country. I think they deserve the utmost consideration and respect.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
It seems like the military today are serving greedy politicians who want some oil money. They really are not contributing to our freedom. We really are not facing any credible threats to our freedom ...from the outside. The threats to our freedom are coming from the ignorant and selfish politicians who keep getting elected into office somehow. Thanks to our veterans. Although I'm not sure why.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM

317 posts, read 576,387 times
Looks like Red is butt hurt and jealous that no one is worshipping him, sorry dude, the US is a country born of war and we need to honor those who serve in the US Armed Forces as war drives our economy and strenghthens us as a nation

Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I don't think any poster has suggested veterans are not worthy of respect. And wounded warriors have my full sympathy and support. But I don't feel that I need to thank anyone for participating in wars I don't agree with and certainly don't feel as though they are "protecting my freedom". If we are attacked on our own soil, it is a different story. This rah-rah military chant has gotten very old, all the more so since moving down south. I have never seen a culture more pro-military than in the south, and any disagreement of the US' involvement and interference with other countries is somehow seen as unpatriotic.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
First, let me say that I truly appreciate all that the men and women that serve in the armed forces have done and continue to do. I think they deserve our appreciation and thanks.

That said, I think the OP was referencing the increasing public expression of this gratitude at all types of public events. Politicians, professional athletes, professional sports of all types, marketing companies, my local used car dealer, lawyers, local restaurants, etc. have figured out that expressions of thanks for our veterans are generally well received.

I think these expressions are often gratuitous and attempt to appeal to the sincere thanks people feel in order to sell something. They use the way many Americans feel about veterans for personal benefit. They are exploiting veterans. The problem with this is that the more we see and hear these gratuitous messages, the less meaning they have for us.

The psychological principle of sensory adaption will eventually come into play. The human brain will ignore something that is distracting or meaningless over time.

The threat to our veterans is that this "thanks" will become meaningless. I suspect that is not what they want to happen. Honestly, if I were a veteran I would be insulted by all of the gratuitous, exploitative expressions of thanks.

Personally, I would prefer a sincere thank you rather than the non-stop "thanks" that seems so prevalent.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
It seems like the military today are serving greedy politicians who want some oil money. They really are not contributing to our freedom. We really are not facing any credible threats to our freedom ...from the outside. The threats to our freedom are coming from the ignorant and selfish politicians who keep getting elected into office somehow. Thanks to our veterans. Although I'm not sure why.
It's been politics and private interest since WWII ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
Looks like Red is butt hurt and jealous that no one is worshipping him, sorry dude, the US is a country born of war and we need to honor those who serve in the US Armed Forces as war drives our economy and strenghthens us as a nation
Most countries are born of war. It's not something to be proud of when "war drives our economy". That's a weakness in the economy.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
I notice when a police officer dies in the line of duty they get much more attention and respect than if a soldier dies fighting in war / Afghanistan

they close the streets and the whole police dept from all over attend the funeral

but they rarely do the same for a war veteran / soldier, seems like the soldier is forgotton and they dont make a big news story about his wife & family the same as they would do for a police officer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates