Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't think any poster has suggested veterans are not worthy of respect. And wounded warriors have my full sympathy and support. But I don't feel that I need to thank anyone for participating in wars I don't agree with and certainly don't feel as though they are "protecting my freedom". If we are attacked on our own soil, it is a different story. This rah-rah military chant has gotten very old, all the more so since moving down south. I have never seen a culture more pro-military than in the south, and any disagreement of the US' involvement and interference with other countries is somehow seen as unpatriotic.
Are you serious? I have never seen a country so anti military as the Unite States of America. Don't like the war, blame the troops!

I know that our service men and women have taken a oath to protect us (US and her Citizens) from threats foreign and domestic. That also means to protect us from tyranny from our own government. Please don't forget that We the people are what makes the US powerful. So you are just as responsible as military men and women, you are part of the nation. Don't like the foreign policy, take to Street to Protest the war.

May I ask you the question what are you actively doing about the US government and Federal reserve that are ruining your country?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Are you serious? I have never seen a country so anti military as the Unite States of America. Don't like the war, blame the troops!

I know that our service men and women have taken a oath to protect us (US and her Citizens) from threats foreign and domestic. That also means to protect us from tyranny from our own government. Please don't forget that We the people are what makes the US powerful. So you are just as responsible as military men and women, you are part of the nation. Don't like the foreign policy, take to Street to Protest the war.

May I ask you the question what are you actively doing about the US government and Federal reserve that are ruining your country?
Who is blaming the troops? Certainly not me. I've been antiwar since my teens, when I saw the ever increasing body count displayed on the evening news every night during the VietNam war. I saw my friends return from the war far different from when they left, often with psychological and drug dependence issues, and lots of misplaced rage. Don't talk to me about blaming troops. In no way do I blame military personnel for the wars. They are just pawns involved in wars that have little to do with protecting our freedom.

I support and vote for politicians that support my non interventionist beliefs. When an attack on Syria was being considered, I signed petitions, contacted my congressman and senators to urge them not to vote for our participation. It may not be much in your estimation, but my days of "taking it to the streets" are over. As a single citizen, I do what I can.

The issue presented by the OP was why must we offer these phony "thanks for your service" that have become so much of a knee jerk response to anyone who said they served in the military.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
" VETERAN WORSHIP "

Maybe it is an attempt to balance out the terrible way Vietnam era vets were treated.

That is something America is finally feeling ashamed about, and rightly so.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
" VETERAN WORSHIP "

Maybe it is an attempt to balance out the terrible way Vietnam era vets were treated.

Yes. We are agreed on that.

When a bunch of people were all up the shizz about the Iraq war right at the beginning (2002ish), they would bash things out loud in front of the troops I would be around near Ft Bliss. And it made me angry. No matter what your thoughts are about the stupid reasons we're going to war (none of which are about "protecting our freedoms"), you don't effin' say crap like that in front of the men and women who need your support or are going to go do this job.

It made me very angry and I always thank these guys for going and doing what they do.

If you have a problem with the war, take it up with the bozos who decided we needed to have one.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
But the point is why single out veterans for work that they volunteered for? They're getting pay and benefits for something they chose to do.

They should be respected, but IMO it's debatable they should be honored. It isn't clear that their work is "more valuable" than any other kind of work.

Military pay and benefits are quite good, BTW. It's a pretty good deal, and there are far more dangerous occupations. It's much more dangerous to be a logger or garbage collector or roofer, but we don't "honor the roofers for their sacrifice".
Yes. I respect the military but I think a whole lot signed up because what other job would provide such great benefits? Just 4 or 5 years and you get free college. I know a guy who is getting out after just 8 years and has been able to get on military disability for a bad back, bad shoulder, ADD that was just diagnosed, and PTS with 3 kids so he's going to be set for life. Free college, free health care, he can easily work another job if he likes in addition which is what he plans to do --- he's not actually physically limited but will get lifelong checks from the government. Even in his words - he now owns the military. They will be providing very nicely for him and his family.

What other job would pay you big checks every month for just 8 years of employment?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

The issue presented by the OP was why must we offer these phony "thanks for your service" that have become so much of a knee jerk response to anyone who said they served in the military.
Who said you "must" offer "thanks for your service."

I have never been forced by anybody or any organization to say thank you for your service to ANYBODY.

Don't like to say it, don't say it. Problem solved. Why making such a big deal out of nothing?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
" VETERAN WORSHIP "

No one except the dangerously power-mad likes coercion and authority; we usually accept a need for some of it, but hopefully constrained mostly within a private sector where the commitment to join is as voluntary as the circumstances will allow.

Nevertheless, every society has rougues who will violate or corrupt any honest pursuit of life, liberty and property that gets in their way; and for this reason, we have other institutuions -- the military, the police and the correctional system to enforce the rules and restrain those who would violate them. And it's worth noting that on (hopeflly) rare occasions the line between constable and criminal is blurred, with results that are both ugly and shameful.

In common with those who guard and protect our lives and property in civillian life, veterans assent to the disruption of a portion of those personal liberties when they join military or para-military institutions. Respect for the geat majority who do so responsibly and honorably is simply one more facet of the implied "societal contract".

Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
Like I said earlier, I don't understand what makes veterans more important or more honorable than a nurse or doctor that saved someones life or a firefighter that saved a family from a house fire or the cop that stopped a rape in progress or those paramedics that rush to the scene of a deadly crash.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Like I said earlier, I don't understand what makes veterans more important or more honorable than a nurse or doctor that saved someones life or a firefighter that saved a family from a house fire or the cop that stopped a rape in progress or those paramedics that rush to the scene of a deadly crash.
I don't, either.
And if you don't think people doing those jobs aren't in danger a lot of the time, too, you don't realize what goes on.
You know, they just finally agreed to make it a felony to assault an ER nurse? And they are trying to help people who are punching, biting, kicking (and some even have weapons)...imagine trying to try to start an iv in a 200 pound guy who is fighting you tooth and nail so you can give him meds to calm him down. And we've had people jump the officers they are with and grab their guns. One nurse jumped and tackled the guy cuz he almost had the gun out of the officer's holster. People come in with knives. People throwing things. People with HIV/HepC spitting at your eyes on purpose. And this is in a nice, community ER. Not even county.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

What country are you living in!? You cant walk down the street without seeing "support our troops" on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
My Father enlisted in 1943 in the US Army, at the age of 18, and served until 1948.

My dad is far more deserving of worship than any athlete, rock star or 'celebrity'.

Is he the one asking for this or are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
Looks like Red is butt hurt and jealous that no one is worshipping him, sorry dude, the US is a country born of war and we need to honor those who serve in the US Armed Forces as war drives our economy and strenghthens us as a nation
whoa, brainwashed much? After Iraq II the worst recession since the 1930s happened....

Last edited by Red3311; 12-02-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates