Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM

34 posts, read 49,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
This is actually a pretty good question.

How about this; The year: 2093. A nuclear device is sneaked into New York City by a terrorist. The bomb is detonated, killing 9 million. A few months later a second nuclear explosion in Houston kills 5 million. The country is then divided into "security regions" that are independent nations that have alliances much like the U.S. has with Canada.

How about this; The year; 2071. Due to high numbers of illegal immigration, the extremely crowded, mostly Hispanic southwest votes for independence, making Southern California, Arizona, and New Mexico a separate nation.
Sounds like you're pitching movie premises! (I never go to this category of movies: are you actually adding synopses of movies already released here?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,670 times
If anything it would be loss of faith in the Federal government that caused States to fall away from the Union. If the Fed was caught running a massive fraud on the American people then I could see many States attempting to bail.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
If anything it would be loss of faith in the Federal government that caused States to fall away from the Union. If the Fed was caught running a massive fraud on the American people then I could see many States attempting to bail.

I think it is fair to say based on the history of the US that for a large chunk of the population there has never been any faith in the Fed Govt going back to the Civil War (War of Northern Agression to quite a few posters on here).

Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM

203 posts, read 321,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
Do you think sometimes that the political unit is too large or do you think the US will still stay in tact?

thanks
I think it will stay in tact unless something very drastic happens (war on our soil or a catastrophic natural disaster).

The folks calling for secession when Obama got in are dwindling in number, so there won't be any real threat from them.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
Do you think sometimes that the political unit is too large or do you think the US will still stay in tact?

thanks
No, but it would be better for the world if it did. A big bloated stupid country is no way to go through life son, to paraphrase Dean Wormer. The idea of what America was supposed to be is just a ghost of an idea now. The industriousness of the American people has been replaced by a bunch of obese walmart shoppers dependent on government entitlements and a small liberal elite all too happy to keep them that way. All we seem to aspire to now is to be a giant multicultural Sweden with bigger waistlines.
It would be better if it broke up into little pieces where people had more direct control over the government.

Last edited by kanhawk; 01-13-2014 at 12:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM

320 posts, read 539,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
States aren't going to just fall away from the Union or bail. Just because people are upset with how the Fed is running things does not mean that a state or states will be able to hold a vote or in any other way decide whether or not they will stick with the Union. Secession (at least in this country) is going to involve war and bloodshed. The U.S. Supreme Court has already made clear that there are no legal means with which a state can successfully secede from the Union. It doesn't matter if 100% of the citizens of [insert state here] decide that they are no longer going to put up with the Federal Gov't...that state isn't going anywhere unless the citizens decide to take up arms and go toe to toe with one of the most powerful military forces in the world. I personally don't see that happening anytime soon.

Other than a war (i.e. WWIII) or something as catastrophic happening on U.S. soil, I don't see any reason why the Union wouldn't stay intact. It is certainly possible that there's something out there that could shake the foundation of this country; countries have split apart before. I just think that it would take something that drastically changes our way of living for the worse before this country would be in danger of splitting apart.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,952,733 times
Total secession or break-up into smaller countries is highly unlikely.

What's possible is to devolve more power to the states away from the federal government.

However, right now the trend is in the other direction--more power to the federal branch.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Total secession or break-up into smaller countries is highly unlikely.

What's possible is to devolve more power to the states away from the federal government.

However, right now the trend is in the other direction--more power to the federal branch.

Imo it was LBJ that really bloated the Fed Govt. When you read diaries and personal writings from Americans living in the 50's, 40's and prior, they really seemed very patriotic about the US, even though the Fed Govt was much less involved in the everyday life of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates