Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I guess I'm an advocate for an older, simpler time when people were expected to pull their weight. In the old days, although there was poverty and hunger, ultimately more people did pull their weight, more people had the work ethic, and there was more opportunity to "make it" as they used to say.
Aye, but isn't there less opportunity to make it in our current society than there was in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Aye, but isn't there less opportunity to make it in our current society than there was in the past?
There is more opportunity now than ever. It is just that the opportunity is much differant than in the past. People are making lots of money doing things that never existed in the past. The thing is that so many people want to hold onto the past and fail to look at the future.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no--- earning money by having to work for it and deal with a lot of baloney including our own is the best way out of poverty. people that get something for nothing are not invested people and feel no obligation to be contributing members of society, which means we are still a poor community since there is no giving only taking.
The are more ways to be a contributing member of society then working. Volunteering for example. How do you not know that these people would not still work or volunteer seems like a lot of generalizations.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
. It is just that the opportunity is much differant than in the past. People are making lots of money doing things that never existed in the past. The thing is that so many people want to hold onto the past and fail to look at the future.
More opportunity? Have you even seen the economy right now?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
And by giving free money, you're giving them the fish, not teaching them to fish.

I rest my case.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
The negative income tax was tossed around under Nixon but he could not get much support for it. One one hand, giving a person one check and eliminating all the various local, state and federal welfare programs plus the government workers that administer them is tempting....it would be interesting to see a test in one or two states to see how it would work out...One major hurdle is the massive number of illegals that would flood the system and get money they are not entitled too...but we have that problem now with the various welfare programs....

Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
LOL, they call "financed by taxpayers" free? That's what government (uh...that'd be the taxpayers because government produces nothing) subsidies are now--provided for thanks to the largesse of taxpayers.

Nothing is free.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Yes I think free government money could very well end poverty and homelessness, it certainly has helped many CEO's stave off those undesirable conditions....

Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
More opportunity? Have you even seen the economy right now?
I have seen the economy and those that are in old line forms of making money are not making any money. Others are doing very well. If you are not making any money then it is time to make a change in what it is you do.

Plenty of people that are in knowledge based fields are making a lot of money. I wish I would have been smart enough to join them. Two areas that I know of that seem to print money for the working class is Tech, such as Silicon Valley based companies, and Bio Tech. Easy to make an income into the $180,000 and higher range. Many are making 7 figure incomes.

For those that want a low wage then consider healthcare. Here in my part of the world you can make a very high 5 figures just starting out as an RN. You may need to get your BSN to go places though. Many of our RN's make into the 6 figures. My wife and I both work for a hospital and are in the 6 figure club. Just a note, there is lots of room in the 6 figure club for potential members.

Start your own company. I can tell you of a lot of people that left jobs to start their own companies and are doing very well right now. We even started our own company. Because the economy was down we were able to identify several companies that had a need but didn't think that they had to have that need filled with a full time person. We started a company to fill that need and it turned out that other companies also had the same need. You have to be on the look out for a niche you can fill.

One friend hit the ball out of the ballpark when he started his head wear company a dozen or so years ago. All on his own he built a company from the ground up, has quite a few employees and now has a net worth of over $200,000,000. (That is 200 million)

Everyone can do this

Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
The majority of people I know that are in poverty, are there due to poor decisions. Giving money to people that make poor decisions seems like a poor decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates