Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times

Advertisements

No I am not concerned about it. As kids we used to run behind the mosquito fogging truck because it was fun. They were fogging with DDT. Heaven knows what else we ingested, breathed, ate. Back then there was no awareness of this sort of thing. Now that I am aware I don't really care personally but there are many purchasing options for those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
Which Foods Have The Most Chemical Pesticides?
https://thenaturaleye.wordpress.com/...nd-pesticides/

Worrying doesn't help; I just use a water filter and avoid prepackaged chemicals. I use peroxide + baking soda for toothpaste & deodorant. I eat non-packaged organic produce when possible, avoid the most contaminated non-organic produce like apples, strawberries & potatoes & animal products. Triclosan is a an endocrine disruptor and it's used in most antibacterial soap. Regular soap like Ivory or Dr. Bronners is just fine for removing bacteria.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 PM

260 posts, read 337,789 times
Very concerned and aware of this issue.

We are bombarded with chemicals from everywhere - things that are not natural to our bodies and so when we encounter them - our liver and other organs try to break them down and don't know what to do with them. This is why there are so many side effects with drugs - it's our body's way of trying to break down what it doesn't recognize. Why wouldn't it be the same with other foreign chemicals?

So there are various combinations of some of the following - artificial chemicals, GMO's, pesticides, pollutants and preservatives - in our food, water, air, household goods such as carpeting and plastic items and cleaners, automobiles, cosmetics and hair care products not to mention Rx and OTC drugs - basically everywhere. On their own, each item may not make an impact (although some people have a sensitivity to a single chemical item like MSG). But now we "consume" multiples of these items each day over years - and our bodies can't handle and adapt all these foreign substances at such a quick rate.

I was a junk food consumer, meat eater and regular soda drinker. I bought most of my groceries from a typical supermarket. I took Rx meds for years. I didn't give a thought to household chemicals or fragrances. I used them all. I wore perfume and makeup every day.

I am allergic or have problems with things today at age 50 that 20 years ago weren't a thought. I have recently started having migraines. I get headaches and nauseous from various perfumes and scents and cleaners. Certain foods with hot peppers and hot spices make my throat itch and my sinuses close. I break out in a burning itchy rash when my skin warms up after being in cooler temperatues. I think my body has become so overloaded with chemicals over the years that it has reached it's limit and I'm seeing the "side effects" of that.

I am not the only one. Many people I know have weird rashes, headaches, migraines, autoimmune disorders, allergies that have started over the last 10 years. You just have to look at our obesity and disease statistics to see the impact of the Western diet on us as a society. When I was a kid in the 70's - there were one or 2 fat kids in the whole grade. Now - more kids than not are overweight and even obese. Children are getting the diseases of what was once reserved for older age like diabetes and arthritis. Look at the incidence of allergies and autism that have skyrocketed over the last 20 years. Why is every other kid allergic to something???

So in the last few years - my husband and I both try to eat a pure diet and live as pure of a pure life as best we can. I am a vegetarian (started this several years ago for humane reasons). We shop at Whole Foods, local farmer's markets (when in season) and when we shop at conventional supermarkets we read labels and if something has artificial ingredients we put it back. And basically avoid all but the perimeter of the supermarket. Inside the perimeter is where all the processed junk is. We try to buy organic as much as possbile as we don't want to support Monsanto and their genetically modified "frankenfoods". We avoid chain restaurants as much as we can and make as much food as we can at home, when we eat out it's often from a local place where we know the owners and know how our food is made.

We've switched over most of our cleaning products to ones with all-natural ingredients. I rarely wear makeup and I get my hair colored at a salon that specializes in organic plant-based products which don't smell or burn my scalp. I use all-natural nail polish and remover (on the rare times when I polish my nails). We take as few pharmaceutical drugs as possible. And on top of this - we've switched over our cats to organic grain-free cat food.

It's hard work trying to avoid all of the processed crap out there that has become the American way of life. We resent that big agriculture just cares about making the most profit possible out of each one of us - while feeding us junk with barely any nutrition in it. But I'll be damned if my money is going to these big corporations. Because that's all they understand. Sales. It's the only way they'll change. If enough people stop buying something then they'll respond. But otherwise we can't count on them to do what's in the public's best interest because as long as they're making money - they will keep doing what they're doing.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Pease use some.........FACTS........when blasting dairy cattle used for beef.
I have worked 19 years in a beef packing plant and was a dairy farmer for 22 year after that (retired and sold dairy farm to son)

will inform you that the tests for drugs in any animal slaughtered ( beef or dairy) will detect even tiny amounts of penicillin.

Same goes for the milk samples taken at every farm when milk is picked up.

Claiming to be a farmer yet spreading false rumors is disgusting to read for someone who actually did work in a packing plant and was a dairy farmer !
Commercial milk is NOT a safe product to be consuming.
Conventional milk contains toxics, says the USDA | Grist

Ninety-six percent of samples contained DDE, “a breakdown product of DDT, which was banned from agricultural use in the early 1970s.
Nearly 99 percent contained diphenylamine (DPA), a “‘high volume’ industrial chemical used for many purposes in manufacturing rubber and plastic parts, and in making certain drugs.”
Forty-one percent of samples contained dieldrin, a “long-banned” organochlorine pesticide.
Endosulfan sulfate, an endocrine disrupter, turned up in 18 percent of samples.
About a quarter of samples delivered synthetic pyrethroid insecticides.
Nearly 9 percent of samples contained a lovely-sounding chemical called 3-hydroxycarbofuran, a “highly-toxic breakdown product of the carbamate insecticide.”

Shall we talk about the barbaric, sadistic, heinous conditions these animals are raised in and slaughtered? Truly sickening.

Paul McCartney's "Glass Walls" - Official Video - YouTube

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Of course a place with the name of ............" The Organic Center".......would publish their fiction.

No surprise there !

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Commercial milk is NOT a safe product to be consuming.
Conventional milk contains toxics, says the USDA | Grist

Ninety-six percent of samples contained DDE, “a breakdown product of DDT, which was banned from agricultural use in the early 1970s.
Nearly 99 percent contained diphenylamine (DPA), a “‘high volume’ industrial chemical used for many purposes in manufacturing rubber and plastic parts, and in making certain drugs.â€
Forty-one percent of samples contained dieldrin, a “long-banned†organochlorine pesticide.
Endosulfan sulfate, an endocrine disrupter, turned up in 18 percent of samples.
About a quarter of samples delivered synthetic pyrethroid insecticides.
Nearly 9 percent of samples contained a lovely-sounding chemical called 3-hydroxycarbofuran, a “highly-toxic breakdown product of the carbamate insecticide.â€

Shall we talk about the barbaric, sadistic, heinous conditions these animals are raised in and slaughtered? Truly sickening.

Paul McCartney's "Glass Walls" - Official Video - YouTube
WTF. This video just made me depressed It really made me feel guilty for eating meat... I wish it was easier to become vegetarian. Why can't they kill these animals more humanely?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Another thing I've been thinking about is how it seems like not as many people got cancer 100 or even 200 years ago. I wasn't there, so I don't no for sure, but it makes sense. There definitely wasn't all the chemicals in foods back then.. everyone basically just lived off the land. It seems as though people mostly died of viral diseases back then because things weren't as sanitary. I just find it scary that 1 in 3 people these days seem to get cancer. Something has to be in our food.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 PM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
Yes you do; known for years by those who know! Biggest culprit is dairy products. Named and renamed hormones to avoid FDA regs (which are useless in this regard) continue to be used. Those hormones are THE cause of breast and prostate cancer incidence. That tall glass of milk is deadly to a substantial part of the population and should not be drunk by anyone over 18. Its important to note, you cannot be a profitable dairy farmer without putting tons of hormones in those cows. They must produce prodigious amounts of milk, way way beyond what they could physiologically - or they are more valuable as meat.

All you have to do is look at the height and weight of people today vs 50 years ago. Its substantial - very substantial. That is an effect of hormones. There are other manifestations as well, but I won't get into it here since this is a family site.

Eggs and poultry are also hormonalized but whether or not that has a biologic effect on the cosumer is still not (to my knowledge) established.

[no citations....look it up yourself...just be knowledgeable about your source. Only trust studies that you can read and review the results and know how statistics were used. Lots of BS out there these days.]

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
You can buy hormone free milk but you have to look hard to find it. Anyone who has had a female cancer that was estrogen sensitive like breast cancer or ovarian cancer should probably be even more careful than anyone else. You don't mess around with hormones without getting the consequences in most cases. I say this from experience and the experience of friends.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You can buy hormone free milk but you have to look hard to find it. Anyone who has had a female cancer that was estrogen sensitive like breast cancer or ovarian cancer should probably be even more careful than anyone else. You don't mess around with hormones without getting the consequences in most cases. I say this from experience and the experience of friends.
The hormone used to increase milk production in dairy cows is not estrogen. It is bovine growth hormone.

The issue of bovine growth hormone has been extensively studied and there is no evidence that its use in dairy cows is harmful to humans. For one thing, it cannot be absorbed when it is consumed orally. It is even inactive when injected into humans.

There is no reason for anyone with an estrogen dependent cancer to avoid milk products from cows treated with growth hormone.

Report on the Food and Drug Administration's Review of the Safety of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin

"EXTERNAL REVIEWS HAVE CONFIRMED VALIDITY OF FDA REVIEW
The FDA's review of rbGH [recombinant bovine growth hormone] has been scrutinized by both the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Inspector General (OIG) and by GAO [General Accounting Office], as well as by JECFA*. On February21, 1992, the OIG announced that an audit of issues related to FDA's review of rbGH found no evidence to question FDA's process for determining the human food safety of rbGH. The OIG found that sufficient research had been conducted to substantiate the safety of the milk and meat of rbGH-treated cows for human consumption. In addition, the OIG found no evidence that indicated that FDA or Monsanto engaged in manipulation or suppression of animal health test data. As noted above, the August 6, 1992 GAO report found that FDA's review of rbGH had met all established guidelines and concluded that bovine growth hormone did not pose a risk for human consumption. In its reviews, JECFA also came to the conclusion that rbGH can be used without any appreciable risk to the health of consumers."

*The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) is an international expert scientific committee that is administered jointly by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

I think if we were being poisoned by our food supply, we would be dying earlier. Since life expectancy is increasing, that obviously is not happening.

I think I'll have a nice glass of cold milk now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates