Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Another thing they have in common: Exploding into rants on national television.

Amount of education doesn't defer someone from being a thug, I've heard Putin's behavior labeled as thuggish many times. Wealth (especially in the USA) doesn't illustrate the quality of an individual.

IMO, the Sherman episode illustrated how black americans continue to shoot themselves in the foot

Yes! How dare those people for exposing their emotions to a point that good law abiding white folks are afraid of them

This man is excited as hell for reaching the pinnacle of his chosen profession which is a place that many will never see in their lifetime and a few tightazz people want to label him a "thug" because he does not act like some uptight Ivy leaguer going to his first chess tournament.

Btw how does one black Stanford graduate who happens to play professional football represent all of Black America? Does Charlie sheen represent all of White America with antics? Does Bieber represent all of White Canada with his?
I sure as hell don't think that Miley Cyrus represents all of the White women in America either, so tell me again why Sherman represents me?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Come to think of it I guess Ali would have been considered a "thug" after he beat up Sonny Liston. If I can recall some white folks did not like him either

Great speeches - Muhammad ali - I am the Greatest - YouTube

Muhammad Ali engaging in some of his famous trash talk ...

Old 02-17-2014, 06:01 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
I just can't believe people are arguing over whether or not it's racist to call a football player a thug. What else is the NFL about but giving each other brain damage and celebrating like you just won the superbowl every time you advance the ball 5 yards.

In Australia they cut to the chase by calling the entire NRL "Thugby" because they recognize that it's the whole point.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I just can't believe people are arguing over whether or not it's racist to call a football player a thug. What else is the NFL about but giving each other brain damage and celebrating like you just won the superbowl every time you advance the ball 5 yards.

In Australia they cut to the chase by calling the entire NRL "Thugby" because they recognize that it's the whole point.

I would not have a probelm with that either except for the fact that only black players are being labeled as thugs instead of football players in general.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Come to think of it I guess Ali would have been considered a "thug" after he beat up Sonny Liston. If I can recall some white folks did not like him either
A lack of appreciation for gloating, being a sore winner, trash talking, poor sportsmanship - whatever you want to call it - isn't exclusive to white americans. A lot of people around the world find it offensive.

Even other football players find it offensive - (0:47s)

Ima Punch You In Your Face: Sherman Mic'd up vs Redskins Punch To The Face! - YouTube

Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I would not have a probelm with that either except for the fact that only black players are being labeled as thugs instead of football players in general.
I'm not much into football for reasons I already mentioned so I mostly just catch the highlights but are there non-black players you think are as deserving (or more deserving) of the title "thug" than Sherman?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
A lack of appreciation for gloating, being a sore winner, trash talking, poor sportsmanship - whatever you want to call it - isn't exclusive to white americans. A lot of people around the world find it offensive.

Even other football players find it offensive - (0:47s)

Ima Punch You In Your Face: Sherman Mic'd up vs Redskins Punch To The Face! - YouTube

True, but they do not control American media.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not much into football for reasons I already mentioned so I mostly just catch the highlights but are there non-black players you think are as deserving (or more deserving) of the title "thug" than Sherman?

My point is he should never have been called a thug in the first place. There are many other testatrone driven sports were men regardless of ethnicity might get a little out of hand but nothing is said.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Why are you making this into a white issue? Asians were laughing at Sherman as well

They do not control the media thus are not the ones you labelled him a "thug" thank fox for that

He acted like an individual that has never had a microphone in front of his mouth and ensured by his actions that it will never occur again. NFL players were split on the issue because they know one day they will be Shermans opponent and he illustrated how much he respects his fellow players.

They also realize all of the trash talk that goes on the field especially between the receivers and secondary and the offensive/defensive linemen. Only he and Crabtree knee what was said between them, Sherman just made it public

You are yourself making it into a blacK/white issue but then denying that Sherman represents blacks. I wonder what choose slurs you had for Incognito. White boy?

No like I said before when Fox labelled him a "thug" and supposely feared for the reporter's life is when I became offended. Btw, I agree with Incognito I personally think that Martin was too soft to play in the NFL. I don't believe that it was a racial thing since the other linemen were in on it as well. Pouncey is also black and I pretty confident if he thought that it was a racial thing he would have taken offence to it as well.

Miley Cyrus does represent the typical white suburban American female teenager that listens to Rap. Another being Amanda Bynes.
I'm talking about her actions "twerking" on stage and her being accused of "acting black"

Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
None of my friends labeled it "thug". Just ghetto.
Is there a difference between "ghetto" in your mind and "thug" in the eyes of Fox viewers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates