Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:27 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If only it were the idiots killing themselves. I wish I had a share of BRK-A for every time I've heard, "I drive better high on weed than I do straight." (I used to live in one of the world's Meccas for stoners.)

But no, kids will drink themselves half blind and then pile into a car and careen down rural roads until they smash into something. If it was ALWAYS a concrete barrier, that would be one thing. But often it's an innocent bystander, or a car full of innocents.

And the same will happen with marijuana, cocaine, opiates, meth, and every other substance we come up with to "cure" our worldwide depressive disorder. Addicts would be better off in rehab. But it's better to have them in prison than on the street, driving while high because everything is legal.

At least the way things stand, people are less likely to get behind the wheel because getting pulled over could lead to a drug arrest. This makes them more likely to do their drugs at home, and stay home.
Hate to tell you making drugs legal or not drug users will still get behind the wheel. Like anything in life criminals or drug users will do what they do regardless of laws. So make it legal and make some money off of it. The way it goes now the drug users go to jail and get fines they never pay anyway. All that does is waste tax payer money. So if you cant stop it the government might as well profit from it and put that money back into our communities. You'll never stop drug use laws do nothing to prevent it.

If anything I bet legaling it will stop a lot of experimental drug users because the thrill of the chase of getting it illegally is gone. Lots of young people do things just because it's illegal to see if they can get away with it. If you make it legal then they don't think it's cool anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
A society with no guardrails will fail. Visit a rehab center and you will see many broken lives due to drug abuse.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
A society with no guardrails will fail. Visit a rehab center and you will see many broken lives due to drug abuse.
Visit a prison, and you will see even more addicts - some of whom weren't even doing drugs when they went in to prison. So please explain, how does jailing addicts help them? And how are these laws fair to the responsible/infrequent users, who still lead productive lives and don't hurt anyone in the process?

We're not denying some people become addicted and ruin their lives, we're only saying that criminal prosecution isn't going to solve anything (sometimes makes it even worse). And why punish the non-addicts just because others have lost control? That is no different from our experiment with alcohol prohibition, and we all know what a failure that was!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
First thing to think of when legalizing all drugs is who's going to lose their jobs. And those people are going to fight like crazy to keep their jobs! And we all know who those people are: attorney's, judges, prison guards, for-profit prisons, the alcohol industry (competition), parole/probation officers, not so much the drug cartels as they will always be in a position to undercut their competition.

Governments are always looking for ways to increase their revenue, and since the Government doesn't care if you live or die, it will be the Government, secretly, who will be pushing for this. In 2011, $17 billion came into our state government treasuries with tobacco tax revenue, and CO & WA will be adding even more revenue due to marijuana taxation. And once they get addicted to more revenue, they're not going to stop there!

In some parts of Europe, at one time, in the 1600's, you could face the death penalty for smoking, or have your lips slit open in Russia, but they finally woke up: Hey! France is hauling in 100 million francs a year with tobacco tax revenue, and financing their wars with it, so why shouldn't we!!!

Historically, nothing is new in this world! Watch the envious eyes of other state governments on CO & WA!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If only it were the idiots killing themselves. I wish I had a share of BRK-A for every time I've heard, "I drive better high on weed than I do straight." (I used to live in one of the world's Meccas for stoners.)

But no, kids will drink themselves half blind and then pile into a car and careen down rural roads until they smash into something. If it was ALWAYS a concrete barrier, that would be one thing. But often it's an innocent bystander, or a car full of innocents.

And the same will happen with marijuana, cocaine, opiates, meth, and every other substance we come up with to "cure" our worldwide depressive disorder. Addicts would be better off in rehab. But it's better to have them in prison than on the street, driving while high because everything is legal.

At least the way things stand, people are less likely to get behind the wheel because getting pulled over could lead to a drug arrest. This makes them more likely to do their drugs at home, and stay home.
That's a good point.

Often the only way an addict can begin to get out of the destruction drugs or alcohol is because of the legal system.

Addicts including alcoholics won't just decide on their own that they're going to rehab. Something usually has to force them and that's the only way they can live.

There is something pretty evil about those people who profit from destroying the health and minds of others.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Well, it's safest to start legalizing the least addictive or euphoric drugs. I even think it'd be a bad idea just to let them all open at once. The reason for legalizing amphetamines over meth is that the ease of access to amphetamines would undercut a large portion of the meth demand crowd, although there would still be some who would manufacture meth, but the number would be smaller.

People don't ingest poison purposefully. None of the illegal drugs are poison if used in moderation. Just ask how many people use datura. If the benefits are outweighed by risks, people won't do that drug.

Also, there is only one addiction, dopamine addiction. It doesn't matter what drug causes certain people to release the dopamine, it's just the continual desire for more happiness that drives mental addiction. Putting physical addiction aside, it's not the drug, its the addict, and addicts are just people who are poor and unintelligent choice makers. But then sometimes you have to wonder if being a responsible addict is a bad thing?
I've told my kids that there are addictive personalities and if they think they have one, choose their addictions wisely.

Anything that messes up your mind is not a wise addiction. Chemical induced feelings are not to be trusted and trying to escape your problems with chemicals will just lead to more problems.

I also taught by example. I don't keep aspirin, tylenol or any "pain killers" in the house ever. I don't use drugs of any kind, when they would get a cold, we used natural remedies like honey or just getting a good night sleep. No drugs.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've told my kids that there are addictive personalities and if they think they have one, choose their addictions wisely.

Anything that messes up your mind is not a wise addiction. Chemical induced feelings are not to be trusted and trying to escape your problems with chemicals will just lead to more problems.

I also taught by example. I don't keep aspirin, tylenol or any "pain killers" in the house ever. I don't use drugs of any kind, when they would get a cold, we used natural remedies like honey or just getting a good night sleep. No drugs.
I am the same as you malamute..... I don't take drugs of any kind except alcohol in moderation. I was on painkilling tablets while awaiting a back operation 15 years ago. My doctor dished them out like candy. Tramadol and Zapain...... Zapain is Codeine Phosphate. There was a warning on the box that said long use could lead to addiction. They were put on repeat prescription for me to collect every month. No need to see the doctor. That was just me, how many others handed addictive drugs as pain killers? I stopped taking them, and learned to cope with the pain. I was fine after the operation. There are probably many, many thousands of people in England addicted to pills handed out by doctors.

The illegal drugs business, and it is a massive business, is controlled by criminals around the world. With the enormous sums of money to be made, there must be corruption within Government Officials. It is of benefit to many to keep things the way they are. But, if as I suspect, some of the very people making laws, are involved in punishing people, and jailing them for using drugs they themselves are profiting from, then this is quite scary.

The more you think about jailing people for drug use, the more ridiculous it is. But even this has become big business. As Tijlover said, lawyers, judges, for-profits prisons in the US, the list goes on. It is quite sinister I believe, that some of the very people judging us, may be profiting from this dirty business. I believe you are right some people have addictive personalities, and need to avoid drugs,alcohol, and even gambling. But we need to remove criminalizing people for drug use. Fresh thinking is needed, but I am increasingly worried of corruption in Governments that will make change impossible, and tax payers money will keep being thrown at this unwinnable so called 'war on drugs.'

We have to end innocent people being hurt by addicts desperately trying to raise funds for things like heroin, and we have to stop weed smokers being harassed and punished for smoking a plant. I would love to know the true cost of jailed addicts locked up for crimes committed raising funds. Worldwide, it must be massive sums, plus the damage such people do before ending up in jail. Who knows the true cost to societies from these people? The only benefiting seem to be criminal businessmen living in their fancy homes a long way from the damage they create.

We must demand change, and not allow this futility to continue. Control of this business must be removed from criminals, and these drugs people demand must be made to a high standard to end deaths from polluted drugs. We must try to minimise use, tax them, while still keeping them cheaper than criminals can provide, and keep them away from children. Plus use some of the tax revenue to help addicted customers who want to stop. I believe most drug users will stay away from hard drugs. The ones with brains anyway. I can't worry myself about the idiots in our societies. All I want them to do is hurt themselves, and not innocent people.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Visit a prison, and you will see even more addicts - some of whom weren't even doing drugs when they went in to prison. So please explain, how does jailing addicts help them? And how are these laws fair to the responsible/infrequent users, who still lead productive lives and don't hurt anyone in the process?

We're not denying some people become addicted and ruin their lives, we're only saying that criminal prosecution isn't going to solve anything (sometimes makes it even worse). And why punish the non-addicts just because others have lost control? That is no different from our experiment with alcohol prohibition, and we all know what a failure that was!
People make bad choices in their life and if they choose to become a addict and then commit crime they will go to jail. That has been the rule for generations around the world.

Many drugs destroy lives and few if any frequent drug users have useful lives. Many end up dead, in jail, or asking for disability payments.

People are arrested for breaking laws. If the law says don't use illegal drugs you don't do it. The majority of laws discriminate against bad or illegal behavior as determined by society.

Certainly, I'm all in for addicts, causal drug users to get rehab....if they want it...which many don't. So, what to do with them? I would rather see them out picking oranges or corn than sitting in the local jail or prison. How long they pick oranges is up to them. Get clean and you can go back into society. Stay high, well, keep picking.

One positive result of the alcohol prohibition was a reduction in the abuse of alcohol. Prior to prohibition our country had a very serious problem with alcohol abuse and after prohibition it was reduced, not eliminated, but reduced.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
People make bad choices in their life and if they choose to become a addict and then commit crime they will go to jail. That has been the rule for generations around the world.
If they commit a crime, yes... the question, however, is whether personal USE alone should be a crime. Meaning, if one chooses to sit at home and smoke weed or shoot heroin (not leaving the house while under the influence), should they face criminal charges for doing so? In my opinion they should not, and it should only become a criminal offense when they actually harm someone else - i.e. stealing for drug money, driving high, or physical harm to another.

Quote:
Many drugs destroy lives and few if any frequent drug users have useful lives. Many end up dead, in jail, or asking for disability payments.
Are you just talking about hard drugs, or including marijuana in this assumption? If you are including the latter, I would say you are far from correct... I personally am a regular (legal medical) smoker, and lead a very "useful" and productive life. I have a Master's Degree, full-time professional job, nice apartment, paid-off car, etc. Nobody is hurt by my use of this substance, and luckily my state agrees that people like me don't need to be charged with a crime.

Now if you're referring to HARD drugs, I would say your statement is mostly accurate. But again, should we throw people in jail (or even force rehab on them) if they are only ruining THEIR lives? Being on government assistance throws a slight wrench in that, but still doesn't change my opinion on the overall matter.

Quote:
People are arrested for breaking laws. If the law says don't use illegal drugs you don't do it. The majority of laws discriminate against bad or illegal behavior as determined by society.
So why isn't alcohol illegal anymore? How about cigarettes, certain pharmaceuticals, junk food, ?? If laws were only about curtailing "bad behavior," none of those those things would be allowed... so basically we're just cherry-picking, and if you have the bad luck of being into one of the cherry-picked illegal substances, you can face serious charges for it. Meanwhile, any adult can go get WASTED off tequila or smoke cigarettes until their lungs are black, and face no legal consequences (unless they drive drunk) for it. How is that fair? I should be free to destroy my body or life however I see fit, and it shouldn't be the government's business until others are put at risk.

Btw, when you say "illegal drugs" that is a confusing statement. Why? Because, while this might sound ridiculously obvious, a drug is only illegal if the government determines it to be. And given the changing laws right now, one drug can be legal until you cross a state line. Maybe you meant to say "if the law says don't use DRUGS, you don't do them." But that wouldn't be a clear statement either, since plenty of drugs are not only legal but endorsed by government entities. So no, it's not about morality or personal safety - it's about money and politics, and anyone who thinks otherwise is very naive.

Quote:
Certainly, I'm all in for addicts, causal drug users to get rehab....if they want it...which many don't. So, what to do with them? I would rather see them out picking oranges or corn than sitting in the local jail or prison. How long they pick oranges is up to them. Get clean and you can go back into society. Stay high, well, keep picking.
Nothing. Let them be addicts, and eventually they will either kill themselves, learn to be a functioning addict, or quit on their own. Forcing people to seek help accomplishes little, and in most cases they'll just continue using once they're out. As for your orange-picking idea, what if this casual user has a productive REAL job? Would you suggest making them quit that job, just to go pick oranges for the city? That is a horrible idea, since chances are they'd be unable to go back to work after their "sentence." So if that were the situation, you would have just added another American to the government dole.

Speaking of not being able to force help on those who don't want it: One of my good friends recently faced criminal charges for pot possession (she lives in backwards Idaho), and has to be on probation + drug tests for two years now. We spoke shortly after her probation started, and she said something like "I can't wait until my probation is over, so I can go back to smoking - I miss it!" Not only that, but she plans to move out of that state as soon as possible.

Quote:
One positive result of the alcohol prohibition was a reduction in the abuse of alcohol. Prior to prohibition our country had a very serious problem with alcohol abuse and after prohibition it was reduced, not eliminated, but reduced.
Is that really true? I don't know, but curious to do the research now!

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-26-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM

On a side note, I'm actually reading the book Orange is the New Black right now. For those who don't know, it's a true story/memoir by a woman who was convicted of "drug trafficking" (actually just carrying drug money for her ex-girlfriend), and sentenced to 15 months in federal prison... the catch is that she wasn't convicted & sentenced until TEN YEARS after the offense, and by that point was a productive college-educated member of society. I think it puts an interesting spin on this issue, and makes me wonder WHY they jailed her. What good will come out of that? Well, if anything I guess it did make for a good story & Netflix series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates