Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

How could these drugs ever even be approved through the FDA when it can take decades for helpful drugs to get approve? A dear friend is waiting for a new cancer drug to be approved to the point where he can get in a trial.

Would employers still be allowed to drug test once these became legal?

Do you think addicts would pay the higher cost of "approved" drugs or still buy on the street?

Saw a panel of Mexican officials on C-SPAN a few weeks ago, discussing how to curb the violence along the border, the beheadings, etc. One of their dilemmas was that the US was relaxing laws on marijuana which meant higher demand, therefore it was hard for them to do much on their end because the cartels follow the money. So just because we legalize it doesn't mean it won't still be made & sold underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
because drug screw up the normal senses and even by doing them at home you are putting workers at risk at your employment the next day. remember pilot can't drink within 12 hour of duty. how you going keep a crane operator from smoking dope at breakfast
Not everybody works in a safety sensitive job. If marijuana were legal employers would still have the right to refrain from hiring users just as employers can refrain from hiring alcoholics. Employers prohibit drinking on the job they could prohibit being stoned on the job.

How are you going to keep a crane operator from smoking dope at breakfast now? Legal or illegal he is able to do it. Do you believe the only thing keeping someone from smoking a joint is our current drug prohibition?

What about people out there who are self employed? Why should they be made criminals if they decide to smoke a joint? Why should they risk a felony conviction and jail time if they decide they want to grow two or three marijuana plants for personal consumption? What right does government have to control what a citizen does in the privacy of their own home?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
The main reason I don't do drugs is because they are illegal. As it stands, buying them would involve association with criminal scumbags, and I don't want to be around those people. I also sure as hell don't want to be around cops. So the main deterrent for me is the people I'd encounter as a drug user. The secondary deterrent for me is that one can never be certain of what is in the drugs they are buying from criminal scumbags.

If drugs were legal and I knew exactly what ingredients went into what I was buying and I could purchase in a safe, pleasant, professional retail environment just like picking up a prescription at the pharmacy I would probably become a drug addict, ruin my life, and destroy the lives of everyone who cares about me. Even something as seemingly innocent as pot would ruin my life because I'd become enormously obese. I'm very thankful that drugs are illegal, it has probably saved my life.

A lot of people who support legalization of drugs are either druggies themselves or sheltered people who have never experienced the reality of what drugs do to a person.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But are these **criminal** issues?
They aren't and because they aren't... dealing with them through the CJ system is wrong.

Re- Legalize the natural state
Re- Medicalize the synthesized and pharmaceutical.

Doctors, Pharmacists, Nurses, Counselors
County Extension Agents and USDA.
No Cops. No Courts. No Prisons.
Yes, child neglect is criminal. And yes, use of hard, addictive drugs will increase that.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How could these drugs ever even be approved through the FDA when it can take decades for helpful drugs to get approve? A dear friend is waiting for a new cancer drug to be approved to the point where he can get in a trial.

Would employers still be allowed to drug test once these became legal?

Do you think addicts would pay the higher cost of "approved" drugs or still buy on the street?

Saw a panel of Mexican officials on C-SPAN a few weeks ago, discussing how to curb the violence along the border, the beheadings, etc. One of their dilemmas was that the US was relaxing laws on marijuana which meant higher demand, therefore it was hard for them to do much on their end because the cartels follow the money. So just because we legalize it doesn't mean it won't still be made & sold underground.
It's not a matter of making these legal through the FDA, unless they are being used for medical purposes.

What needs to happen is that (for pot at least) it should be produced and offered for sale only through specific, regulated channels, exactly like alcohol is done. That solves most of the issues. People are not producing alcohol in any quantity for resale. Alcohol is imported by the shipload without any problems and with plenty of taxes being collected. There is no illegal alcohol trade or people being murdered over it. It is an excellent example of what the pot business could be.

All the current policies regarding employment and drug use would still be in place.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post

A lot of people who support legalization of drugs are either druggies themselves or sheltered people who have never experienced the reality of what drugs do to a person.
And others are people who have control of their own lives and do not need the government to hold their hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, child neglect is criminal. And yes, use of hard, addictive drugs will increase that.
Many things that are legal contribute to child abuse, especially being a POS who would neglect or abuse a child.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I think this stands a chance of happening only once the older generations die off. They are the types of 'stick-in-the-muds' that oppose this sort of forward thinking solution.
I disagree. The old people are many of the 60's Pot smoking, LSD taking, Coke snorting, Speed freaks who have gone down the path of drug abuse.

I figured by now Pot would be legalized. But it seems like many of these Old Hippies are now against legalization.

You know who's behind not legalizing Drugs ? IMO the big Alcohol companies.
The more drugs you do the less beer or whiskey you'll consume to get your high.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How could these drugs ever even be approved through the FDA...
Like Heroin? Bayer (the aspirin people) developed that over 100 years ago.
It's grandfathered in. Some advertising HERE and HERE

Quote:
Do you think addicts would pay the higher cost of "approved" drugs
What higher cost? If legal it should be dirt cheap.
Or at least no more expensive than any other Rx costs that Medicaid or BCBS is paying for.

Quote:
...or still buy on the street?
Once legal... and without absurd counterproductive rules...
there should no longer be any "on the street" heroin or cocaine

Quote:
One of their dilemmas was that the US was relaxing laws on marijuana...
...but not actually going full on legal. Such half stepping is indeed problematic.

But if/when that farm product is actually full on legal the price will drop like a rock.
There is NO good market/farming reason for MJ to cost more than asparagus or hops.
Even the fancy import varieties shouldn't be much more.

Of course once the product value drops the tax revenue from it will drop as well.
As always... follow the money.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, child neglect (has been made) criminal (by law) .
Look deeper.

The acts themselves, however reprehensible, are social and welfare issues.
If actually interested in helping the kids... take the Court/Jail boot off the parents neck.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:05 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The main reason I don't do drugs is because they are illegal. As it stands, buying them would involve association with criminal scumbags, and I don't want to be around those people. I also sure as hell don't want to be around cops. So the main deterrent for me is the people I'd encounter as a drug user. The secondary deterrent for me is that one can never be certain of what is in the drugs they are buying from criminal scumbags.

If drugs were legal and I knew exactly what ingredients went into what I was buying and I could purchase in a safe, pleasant, professional retail environment just like picking up a prescription at the pharmacy I would probably become a drug addict, ruin my life, and destroy the lives of everyone who cares about me. Even something as seemingly innocent as pot would ruin my life because I'd become enormously obese. I'm very thankful that drugs are illegal, it has probably saved my life.

Your lack of self control shouldn't be reason for marijuana to be illegal. Are you an alcoholic chain smoker? Both alcohol and cigarettes are legal so surely you must have smoking and drinking problems............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates