Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 AM

417 posts, read 868,358 times

Advertisements

You would have a very large uptick in users and that will result in work not getting done and people ruining their lives who wouldn't go try heroin from a dealer but now that its all legit and legal will give it a whirl. Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,640,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How could these drugs ever even be approved through the FDA when it can take decades for helpful drugs to get approve? A dear friend is waiting for a new cancer drug to be approved to the point where he can get in a trial.

Would employers still be allowed to drug test once these became legal?

Do you think addicts would pay the higher cost of "approved" drugs or still buy on the street?

Saw a panel of Mexican officials on C-SPAN a few weeks ago, discussing how to curb the violence along the border, the beheadings, etc. One of their dilemmas was that the US was relaxing laws on marijuana which meant higher demand, therefore it was hard for them to do much on their end because the cartels follow the money. So just because we legalize it doesn't mean it won't still be made & sold underground.
The U>S hasn't relaxed laws on marijuana. It's still a schedule 1 substance, about as illegal as you can get.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
You would have a very large uptick in users and that will result in work not getting done and people ruining their lives who wouldn't go try heroin from a dealer but now that its all legit and legal will give it a whirl. Not good.
there's a whole lot of assumptions in that post. Most people wouldn't go shoot up heroin just because it's legal, just like I won't do salvia even though it is legal. I have no interest. The people who are interested enough in heroin to do it are already doing it.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

The trouble is, where do we find officials brave enough to say "enough is enough. We need totally different thinking in how to deal with this problem." Lots of people in officialdom making a good living out of the 'drugs war.' They like things just the way they are.
The politicians will change their stance when the clear majority of those who vote for them want legalization. Politicians are all about self-survival, they either bow to the will of the people or they lose their job. MJ legalization is quickly becoming a majority in this country(already is, but it will keep growing to the point where 70% are pro legalization), and you'll see politicians going along with it.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,760,204 times
It seems that most of the "let's legalize" crowd here are occasional pot smokers or have never used or been around other drug users.

I'm just a middle class grandma, but we have had two family members go through a period of drug addiction. One was very severe, filled with violence, stealing, destruction of property, total personality change - a terrifying long ordeal that thank the Lord, turned itself around and she is now living a happy normal life.

I have four foster grandchildren ages 1-5, from the same mother (she already lost custody of the 4 older ones). They are all special needs because of the parents' drug use. They have behavior problems and learning disabilities. Two have PTSD from the neglect and abuse. Our love and a stable home can only do so much - they will need many years of treatment.

I volunteer in our local food pantry. A huge percentage of our families are battling drug addictions. And the ones that have gotten off drugs are so thankful and absolutely know the dangers.

I don't know what the solution is, but making drugs more easily available can not be the best way to go.

And then there's the whole irony that our country now has mandated govt approved health insurance, makes kids wear helmets & sit in car seats, requires calories on menus, yet they would legalize new unhealthy drugs for the populace? Too bizarre.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,438,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
It seems that most of the "let's legalize" crowd here are occasional pot smokers or have never used or been around other drug users.

I'm just a middle class grandma, but we have had two family members go through a period of drug addiction. One was very severe, filled with violence, stealing, destruction of property, total personality change - a terrifying long ordeal that thank the Lord, turned itself around and she is now living a happy normal life.

I have four foster grandchildren ages 1-5, from the same mother (she already lost custody of the 4 older ones). They are all special needs because of the parents' drug use. They have behavior problems and learning disabilities. Two have PTSD from the neglect and abuse. Our love and a stable home can only do so much - they will need many years of treatment.

I volunteer in our local food pantry. A huge percentage of our families are battling drug addictions. And the ones that have gotten off drugs are so thankful and absolutely know the dangers.

I don't know what the solution is, but making drugs more easily available can not be the best way to go.

And then there's the whole irony that our country now has mandated govt approved health insurance, makes kids wear helmets & sit in car seats, requires calories on menus, yet they would legalize new unhealthy drugs for the populace? Too bizarre.
Kara, I understand your point of view, and respect your opinion. Damage caused to these children by drug abuse is horrendous. A lot of the stealing and violence committed by drug addicts is to get money for the drugs they need. There is thought by experts on this subject, that addicts are born, not made. Perhaps this is true, and some folks have an inner weakness built in them. Some for illegal drugs, others alcohol, or even gambling.

But, most people, partake on occasion in drinking, gambling, or even illegal drugs. They don't become addicts, hurt other people, or commit crimes. Young people seem to like the drug 'Ecstasy' when they go dancing in clubs. Many others seem to like the buzz from cocaine. Millions smoke weed, and some indulge in dangerous drugs like heroin, crack, and meth.

These are the facts that matter, not Governments telling people not to do drugs, and punishing those who do. If fighting illegal drug use was a success, and the problem was becoming smaller, I would say, carry on, you're doing a good job. The whole drugs war is a failed, shambolic, expensive, farce. That is why I feel we have to at least look seriously at changing the law. I'm not an illegal drug user, just a realist, and a taxpayer.

With the vast sums of money saved from police work, court time, and locking people up in jail, plus taxing drugs produced cleanly, and efficiently,money would be available to give help to addicts trying to get off drugs.

Last edited by English Dave; 02-24-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

1) No sales to people under 21.
Most of the world lets people drink first, then drive. The logic being that they'll learn their limits and then start the long, arduous driving process. (It's long and arduous elsewhere.)

And I don't know about the rest, but I was drinking prior to reaching my 21st birthday. I'd go with 16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits, and institute the sort of driving model they follow in Germany. (People don't drive drunk/buzzed/anything in Germany -- it's simply not worth the risk.)

Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,438,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Most of the world lets people drink first, then drive. The logic being that they'll learn their limits and then start the long, arduous driving process. (It's long and arduous elsewhere.)

And I don't know about the rest, but I was drinking prior to reaching my 21st birthday. I'd go with 16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits, and institute the sort of driving model they follow in Germany. (People don't drive drunk/buzzed/anything in Germany -- it's simply not worth the risk.)
The age for drinking legally here in England is 18 Scoop. Many are drinking long before this. The major problems for the police dealing with drug abuse is the legal one alcohol.

For some reason, we look at this legal drug differently. Do you remember the days of entertainers like Dean Martin? In his act, he would turn to the audience, drink in hand...... "have I sung my song yet?" Oh how we laughed!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
I can only speak for medical cannabis, but it's about the same price in a club here as on the streets
Lets call that $350 per ounce for clean and good quality bud...
(who remembers when $35 was considered to be high?)

Quote:
There is a hefty 18% tax for the legal stuff...
@$350... an 18% tax comes to $63 per ounce.

Quote:
making it (pseudo) legal completely ended my desire to buy it from street dealers.
What will happen to these prices and taxes if/when it is ever really legal?

Since here is no good market or cultivation reason for MJ to cost more than any other crop
or truck farm produce does... the market price will drop like a ROCK. And so will the taxes.

The people currently producing an illegal product and the government taxing it...
are both HIGHLY motivated to maintain **most of** the current black market model.
This is neither good government or good for business.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,205,919 times
I think it is better to phase in one or two at a time to legalize like marijuana and see the results and then proceed from there. That appears to be slowly happening in a few states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates