Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times

Advertisements

Species populations usually go extinct (barring an astroid hit) when their habitats are destroyed and they cannot adapt or migrate quickly enough to survive.

Hmmm..do you think our habitat is being destroyed? Will the world's population be able to migrate to areas not covered by increasing deserts? Or impacted by storms and floods? Or burnt by fire from droughts?

Will they find enough water to drink and to water crops? Will there be enough food to go around?

How will lives be affected if fossil fuels are depleted?

Will there be violence one-to-one or perpetuated by controlling forces to prevent the taking of precious resources? Drones--will they be employed for mob/crowd control?

Lots of questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
There are some pure biological threats to the human race.

Between 1989 and 2005, average sperm counts fell by a third in the study of 26,000 men, increasing their risk of infertility. The amount of healthy sperm was also reduced, by a similar proportion.

Scientists warn of sperm count crisis - Science - News - The Independent
OMG! Really..

the sky is falling.. the sperm count is falling.. also rocks are moving on their own.. I blame nasa

Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 AM

358 posts, read 512,215 times
There are some very unhappy people here.

I say "no" human life on Earth is not going extinct. We are just getting to the good stuff. We'll be colonizing the universe within a couple centuries.

Unless this is all one of my dreams again and you are all figments of my imagination.

Nah!

Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
There are some very unhappy people here.
Yes there are.. "the sky is falling" or pessimism abounds..

Ohh, well like I said to a lot of the unhappy/pessimistic people.. their dying! (they didn't like to hear that )

It's sad too.. because people don't seem very conscious that "pessimism"/negative energy.. hurts them.. it's like when you say to life.. "it sucks out there".. your body hears that and creates cancer to help you die faster.. lol

Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
OMG! Really..

the sky is falling.. the sperm count is falling.. also rocks are moving on their own.. I blame nasa
It's comical, reading so many different viewpoints on here. Some posters say we'll eventually die from starvation, due to overpopulation and the lack off food to feed the masses. Then....we have posts about infertility and low sperm count, so eventually, we'll just dwindle away to nothing. Hmmmm weird huh?

I mean, ironic isn't it, that the Earth is bulging from too many people. We're using GMO crops, in order to increase yields and allow folks to grow more foods in areas where they'd normally be unable to survive...even NOW. Maybe lower sperm counts aren't such a bad thing?

Perhaps "mother nature" does her very best to intervene...in that overpopulation situation. Perhaps if modern medicine....modern, EVERYthing, didn't constantly intervene in the "natural order of things", we wouldn't be such a mess.

You know...kind of like in the old days when someone came up and hit you, while you were at school, and you could turn around and inflict instant karma?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,403 times
yes, humans will become extinct just like all the other creatures that were here much longer than man

the dinosaurs lived on earth for a very long time, humans are just a small part of the history and will also become extinct , but not in 100 years, unless there is some type of natural disaster that causes man to become extinct.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's comical, reading so many different viewpoints on here. Some posters say we'll eventually die from starvation, due to overpopulation and the lack off food to feed the masses. Then....we have posts about infertility and low sperm count, so eventually, we'll just dwindle away to nothing. Hmmmm weird huh?

I mean, ironic isn't it, that the Earth is bulging from too many people. We're using GMO crops, in order to increase yields and allow folks to grow more foods in areas where they'd normally be unable to survive...even NOW. Maybe lower sperm counts aren't such a bad thing?

Perhaps "mother nature" does her very best to intervene...in that overpopulation situation. Perhaps if modern medicine....modern, EVERYthing, didn't constantly intervene in the "natural order of things", we wouldn't be such a mess.

You know...kind of like in the old days when someone came up and hit you, while you were at school, and you could turn around and inflict instant karma?
When you are ingrained in the "belief systems" of the world.. I can't really blame these guys for voicing their beliefs..

But I got a cheat sheet.. I already know were gonna me it.. (and yah aren't we thriving? )

And one day the human race or bodies on this planet in some projected time in the future.. yah, it probably won't be here.. "maybe" but we'll all return to source and we'll remember our illusionary fear of death-annihilation like some dream.. lol

And when you think about it, it's really stupid.. the sperm count is down.. but there's 7 billion of us..? maybe we should call it what it is.. it's bad science.. or just a oxymoron.. anyway, maybe the reason the sperm count is down is because we all have sex way more often than we need too.. aka only like 1 in 200 trillion-billion sperms ever gets near a egg.. maybe it's just nature being efficient lol

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Bad news sells. Stories of a plateauing population, a population learning to maximize derivation of food and energy from existing resources, or tapping into new resources, doesn't constitute exciting news.

Some decades ago, it was fashionable to worry about nuclear war between the USA and USSR. More recently, we've been preoccupied with other threats. It never ends.

Then there are the fans of Cosmos, the dreamers who insist that Star Trek was too conservative in its predictions of world peace and galactic exploration. This isn't quite as exciting as news of impending catastrophe, but also sells, albeit to a different audience.

So here's my prediction: the future will be very much like the present, only less exciting. The 20th century will have become a historical anomaly, a time of rapid growth never seen before, nor since. Technological improvements will plateau, as will the population. We'll return to the moon - in 2069 - only to become bored again with travel beyond low earth orbit. Wars will crop up sporadically, in some cases with serious casualties. But just as there was no World War before the 20th century, there won't be one thereafter. Humans will look back with fondness to a time when "change was the only constant".

Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
What the doomsday crowd don't seem to understand is that in many places the world environment has gotten better. As one example, the amount of forested acreage in the United States has increased, and there are now a greater population of species such as deer than there were when Europeans first set foot on the continent.

Also, even more importantly, we are actually looking at a population decline beginning sometime in the decades ahead. Huge portions of the world such as China, Japan, Europe, Brazil, Russia, and elsewhere are not seeing birth rates anywhere close to replacement levels. Even in places such as India, the fertility rate is only 2.55 births per couple, a major decrease from several decades ago. The explanation for this is family planning. Only portions of Latin American, Africa, and the Muslim world have fertility rates that remain high, but even those are much lower than what they were. Give the world another twenty years of acculturation in family planning and those numbers will drop there, too.

In short, I'm awfully optimistic. Malthusian theory posits that our species will just eat itself out of house and home and then die off, when the human race has the ability to adapt its society is a fairly rational (If somewhat zigzag) kind of way. I mean, we are the species that has learned to live in every single environment on the planet after all.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
So here's my prediction: the future will be very much like the present, only less exciting. The 20th century will have become a historical anomaly, a time of rapid growth never seen before, nor since. Technological improvements will plateau, as will the population. We'll return to the moon - in 2069 - only to become bored again with travel beyond low earth orbit. Wars will crop up sporadically, in some cases with serious casualties. But just as there was no World War before the 20th century, there won't be one thereafter. Humans will look back with fondness to a time when "change was the only constant".
Nice prediction.. I think a lot of what you said is true.. but I also disagree.. remember I can see the future with my crystal ball

I'm gonna throw out one random prediction.. it's my understanding in under 5 short years.. I think? everyone on this planet will know that life exists on other planets.. though haven't they figured that out with space rocks.. and through mars exploration.. dunno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I mean, we are the species that has learned to live in every single environment on the planet after all.
I want to live under the sea!

Let's challenge our congress to end "the space race" and increase the odds of "the undersea race"

I want a undersea condo.. next to a undersea harrah's 24/7 buffet.. and also I want to fight crazed 30's robots in the dark

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates