Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I don't think that is a fair assessment and I don't appreciate the putdown. I care very much about the welfare of other people... so much so that some years ago, working for a non-profit, I burned myself out pretty badly.

The reason I said "not my job" was not because I don't care but because I am not able to monitor or modify the actions of people in say, Africa or Korea, since they are the ones who get to decide how they w ant to live. Sure, I can write letters to congressional representatives or something but that's probably not that effective.

Now can we go back to being civil?
No, no, no, you don't get off that easy. You should accept responsibility for your words and actions. You posted a link to a hysterical, factually incorrect anti-GMO movie. People here read it, if you share among friends they read it. People formulate opinions based on the movie, they write to their reps, vote accordingly, before you know it legislation occurs due to collective outrage against GMOs. Who suffers? Not you, you trot off to your local organic farmer's market, and all is good in your world. Kids in Ethiopia who no longer have access to drought-resistant crops aren't so lucky.

If you oppose GMOs, then fine, but the stakes are HUGE, at least have the courtesy to own it, otherwise do a lot more homework before disseminating information to make sure that it is in fact legitimate.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No, no, no, you don't get off that easy. You should accept responsibility for your words and actions. You posted a link to a hysterical, factually incorrect anti-GMO movie. People here read it, if you share among friends they read it. People formulate opinions based on the movie, they write to their reps, vote accordingly, before you know it legislation occurs due to collective outrage against GMOs. Who suffers? Not you, you trot off to your local organic farmer's market, and all is good in your world. Kids in Ethiopia who no longer have access to drought-resistant crops aren't so lucky.

If you oppose GMOs, then fine, but the stakes are HUGE, at least have the courtesy to own it, otherwise do a lot more homework before disseminating information to make sure that it is in fact legitimate.
May I refer you to my original post?
"Since I have been wondering what the deal is with Genetically Mondified foods this youtube movie on the subject has answered for me a lot of questions about why people oppose it. Obviously one movie is not going to give all the answers, but this one is a start:

"Seeds of Death" this one posted by Gary Null. An eye-opener for me.

Have you seen this or will you now be watching it? What do you think? Will this change anyone's mind?"

I don't recall making statements that were designed to influence what anyone thinks. If you are looking for someone to eviscerate this week, I'm not playing.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
This is a debating forum, I'm not trying to eviscerate (sic) anyone. If you oppose GMOs and you care about your fellow humans who are starving, how do you reconcile that? That's all I'm asking?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is a debating forum, I'm not trying to eviscerate (sic) anyone. If you oppose GMOs and you care about your fellow humans who are starving, how do you reconcile that? That's all I'm asking?
The forum is, indeed, great debates. My thread, however, merely asked questions about a controversial subject. My apologies if I have erred in my thread placement.

I have not said I oppose GMOs. I said I was concerned about what the movie was proposing, in so many words. OK?

There have to be other options between what some call frankenfood and starving millions of people. I want to investigate whether or not GMOs and Monsanto are the bad guys.

And I just checked my spelling. I don't see how I spelled anything wrong.

I'm going to ask a mod to close this as we are not getting anywhere with this.

PS: Thanks to all who contributed in a positive manner!

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 02-27-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates