Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times

Advertisements

Just leave it at DST.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
I am a fan of DST year round. I believe people are more alert drivers in the morning, because they are intent on getting to work on time. On the way home from work their thoughts drift and they are more tired. I think statistics of accident rates would bear this out. Non working people are more likely to be on the road at that hour as well.

Changing the time twice a year really confuses the pets, who get fed at certain times of the day, especially in the fall. The appointed hour comes along and the animals are there staring at me with a WTF look in their eyes. Actually, I enjoy tormenting them for the couple weeks it takes them to get used to it!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Why not just eliminate the time zones worldwide? Go with a 24 hour clock everywhere. Use Greenwich time which is the current standard for the primary time zone. Then everybody starts their day at different times, determined by where they are and whatever suits the employer or the needs of their job. (I never could understand the complaint of the farmers regarding the time change. Their life revolves around the sun earth relationship. All they would have had to do is change their alarm setting when the time changed, so they could meet the cows at the barn when they get there to be milked.)

For example, what is now midnight would be 0500 on the East Coast of the US. The typical work day would start around 1300. Evening rush hour would be around 2200.

It would be confusing at first, but over time everyone would get used to it. As it is now, when dealing with people in other time zones, via phone or whatever, you have to think about when their day starts relative to yours. This way there would be no more time zones. If you own a business in Maine, you could start your day at 1200, as opposed to a business in Ohio, which might decide to open their doors at 1300. Both areas are in what is now the Eastern time zone.
We already have to be cognizant of when a business opens their doors to the public before we head out the door. That wouldn't change. Just the description of the time would change.

This would really be great when travelling across what is now two different time zones, and especially, it would be more convenient in scheduling air travel. In the news you hear that an earthquake happened off Japan at 1300? If in New York, you know exactly when it happened. It happened at 1300!

It is a difficult concept, and while there would be some negatives, after a while, there would be far more positives.

However, I still don't know how many kilometers there are between Washington and Baltimore. Makes me realize I just wasted a lot of time typing this.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Why not just eliminate the time zones worldwide? Go with a 24 hour clock everywhere. Use Greenwich time which is the current standard for the primary time zone. Then everybody starts their day at different times, determined by where they are and whatever suits the employer or the needs of their job. (I never could understand the complaint of the farmers regarding the time change. Their life revolves around the sun earth relationship. All they would have had to do is change their alarm setting when the time changed, so they could meet the cows at the barn when they get there to be milked.)

For example, what is now midnight would be 0500 on the East Coast of the US. The typical work day would start around 1300. Evening rush hour would be around 2200.

It would be confusing at first, but over time everyone would get used to it. As it is now, when dealing with people in other time zones, via phone or whatever, you have to think about when their day starts relative to yours. This way there would be no more time zones. If you own a business in Maine, you could start your day at 1200, as opposed to a business in Ohio, which might decide to open their doors at 1300. Both areas are in what is now the Eastern time zone.
We already have to be cognizant of when a business opens their doors to the public before we head out the door. That wouldn't change. Just the description of the time would change.

This would really be great when travelling across what is now two different time zones, and especially, it would be more convenient in scheduling air travel. In the news you hear that an earthquake happened off Japan at 1300? If in New York, you know exactly when it happened. It happened at 1300!

It is a difficult concept, and while there would be some negatives, after a while, there would be far more positives.

However, I still don't know how many kilometers there are between Washington and Baltimore. Makes me realize I just wasted a lot of time typing this.
Hoo, boy, is it!! I probably wouldn't live long enough to sort out the -s from the +s.

BTW, it's 62 kms.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hoo, boy, is it!! I probably wouldn't live long enough to sort out the -s from the +s.

BTW, it's 62 kms.
Even I screwed it up. If it were midnight in Greenwich, it would be 1900 on the East Coast of the US, not 0500! After a while we would get used to it, though.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,861 times
I love my extra hour of daylight in the evenings! I think if they do end DST then we should all stay on it and not go back to regular. It is a little odd when I visit Arizona and it is getting dark by 5pm because they want to be stubborn and thumb their nose at the big liberal government overlords.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

I find this too confusing and it would cause more problems than it is worth to enact such a philosophy. Plus that would mean that EVERY country would need to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I love my extra hour of daylight in the evenings! I think if they do end DST then we should all stay on it and not go back to regular. It is a little odd when I visit Arizona and it is getting dark by 5pm because they want to be stubborn and thumb their nose at the big liberal government overlords.
It gets dark at 5pm during winter, New York would too. As for your comments, Arizona hold onto it because it is already 8 at sunset, making it 9 with DST (unless the revert to MDT rather than staying in MST.) Also because of this, there is really no economic benefit to Arizona based on that.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
With Congressional approval so low, DST can be attributed to them. Congress passed the Uniform Time Act in 1966, supposedly to save fuel. In 1973 they had DST year round but found that there were more school bus accidents so they repealed it. In 1986 the time was set to change on the first Sunday in April, but apparently Congress felt the need to change that and in 2007 moved it 3 weeks earlier. The notion this was for farmers isn't really true, as the farmers and cows don't change their schedules because Congress deems it so.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default Much ado about nothing

This whole discussion is much ado about nothing. It's hard to believe that some people are so rigid in their habits that a change of one single hour twice a year bothers them. Do those people actually go to bed and get up at EXACTLY the same every single day? Do they ever travel anywhere outside of their own time zone? If so, how do they cope? Too much trouble to change the clocks? Five to ten minutes spent changing clocks and watches twice a year is too much trouble? Can it really be that so many people have nothing important in life to be concerned about that such trivia as this somehow becomes important? God help us.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times
I don't get the point of it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates