Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I hate DST. I get SAD when the sun goes down before 5pm. I am ready for it to be gone. Going into work when it's dark and leaving when it's dark is very depressing.
That has nothing to do with DST. You do realize that the actual hours of sunlight decreases starting in Fall and increases starting in Spring? The only way to avoid that is to move to the tropics, where you get close to 12 hours of sunlight and darkness year round.

I don't enjoy changing the clocks and being tired the following week, but the alternative would be worse. Here in Denver, the sun would pop over the horizon at 4:30 a.m. in June/July if we didn't go on DST. That would mean it would start getting light outside around 3:45 a.m. I already have sleep issues that time of year with the sun coming up at 5:30 a.m. And then if we didn't go off DST, the sun wouldn't rise here until 8:20 a.m. I think DST is a necessary evil needed to make the best of the changing sunlight at different times of the year.

If you live far enough south where the sunlight doesn't vary much, then it probably makes no sense. Hawaii doesn't participate in DST because it just isn't needed because the longest days of the year are about 12.5 hours of sunlight and the shortest are about 11.5 hours of sunlight.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I just decided, (well the other day,) I'm not touching a single clock in the house, if it changes on its own find, if not, it will be the right time come fall back.
So it's like your house is in it's own time zone lol!

And remember, a stopped clock is right twice per day

Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I have never heard of any school day starting at 7 a.m. If anything high school hours especially should be later, not early. It's well known that teenagers have a biological need to sleep long hours. They would be better served by a school day that started at 10 a.m. I don't know who is served by having schools start at such ungodly hours.

What should be adjusted is having any school kid have to take a bus or get to school at such an early hour. Kids getting out of school at 2:30 pm does them no good either. Those hours between 3 and 5 pm is when they get into trouble. Let them get out when their parents are getting out of work.
I agree with everything you said. When my two older kids were in high school, they started at 7:05 a.m. and the bus came at 5:30 to 5:45 depending on the current bus schedule. I always thought it was crazy they would have to be at the end of our driveway waiting that early. They often complained about having to be up that early and waiting for the bus in the dark.

When my youngest daughter got to high school, we moved to a different district, and she started at 7:20 a.m. or something crazy like that. Since we lived a lot closer to school, she could catch the bus at 6:40 but still, there were many mornings, especially after DST went into effect where the kids were starting school before sunrise.

One part of me likes the evening hours to be lighter longer, especially now while the weather is nice. Another part, especially from June through September, wishes it wouldn't stay sunny so late since it gets so hot here and doesn't cool off at all till at least midnight - even that is debatable. I'm in SE Texas to give an idea of the latitude.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
And then there's the one about the lady who called the radio talk show to complain about DST. Yup, it was causing her roses to get too much sunlight...
Seriously? How funny!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So it's like your house is in it's own time zone lol!

And remember, a stopped clock is right twice per day
I've been living in my own time zone for years, nothing new.

But the tv cable box, pc and other gadgets keep me on time when I have to make any real effort to meet a time frame, so, I'm not going to worry any more about the other four or so clocks, including my watch, I will just remember it's an hour behind. come Fall, I'll be set

This time change ain't got nothing on me, I'm winning.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
I live in Arizona where the entire state ignores Daylight Saving Time. You might think, therefore, this debate doesn't effect us. We shouldn't even have to know when DST starts. Au contraire. When I lived back East, all I had to do was change my clock twice a year. Here, every time zone (including the one I'm in!) changes in relationship to mine twice a year. Every time I make a phone call to another state, I have to figure out what time it is. In July, my relatives in Chicago are only one hour ahead. In December, it's two. So when I'd be happy to chat at my 8 p.m. they are fine with me calling in the summer, but in the winter I have to remember not to call then because they go to bed then. Business hours on the East Coast are three hours ahead of me in the summer. If I need to speak with someone at only 2 p.m., all winter long offices are already closed. I'm on the same time as my friends in California this time of year even though it's a different time zone. But come October, there will be an hour difference between us.

But that's not the hardest thing to adjust to. ALL the television programs (and national radio shows) that aren't on the local networks change the time they are on TWICE A YEAR. A program on cable TV that is advertised as being on at 10 p.m. is NEVER on at 10 p.m. here, but it also changes the time it is on twice a year. So as soon as I get used to watching it at one time that is not 10 p.m., it switches to yet another time. It's utterly maddening.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That has nothing to do with DST.
Depends on what time you get up ... And Daylight Savings Time shifts daylight to the hours when people are more likely to be awake.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I've always heard this scam of DST was to keep people out shopping later in the evenings (because it stayed light longer). Consume, consume, consume! ...
Actually, that is incorrect. The concept of DST existed long before stores began the practice of being open at night. The Romans used water clocks that used different scales for different months of the year. Several ancient civilizations adjusted times they did things to changes in the sun. Benjamin Franklin published an essay in 1784 called An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light. It proposed that people rise earlier in the summer to economize on the use of candles. During WWII, President Roosevelt instituted DST all year long and called it War Time. Can you imagine the Tea Party's reaction if President Obama tried something like that?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I LOVE DST. Leave it alone.

If you cant figure out how to change your clocks then you really have bigger problems than DST

Old 03-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I live in Arizona where the entire state ignores Daylight Saving Time. You might think, therefore, this debate doesn't effect us. We shouldn't even have to know when DST starts. Au contraire. When I lived back East, all I had to do was change my clock twice a year. Here, every time zone (including the one I'm in!) changes in relationship to mine twice a year. Every time I make a phone call to another state, I have to figure out what time it is. In July, my relatives in Chicago are only one hour ahead. In December, it's two. So when I'd be happy to chat at my 8 p.m. they are fine with me calling in the summer, but in the winter I have to remember not to call then because they go to bed then. Business hours on the East Coast are three hours ahead of me in the summer. If I need to speak with someone at only 2 p.m., all winter long offices are already closed. I'm on the same time as my friends in California this time of year even though it's a different time zone. But come October, there will be an hour difference between us.

But that's not the hardest thing to adjust to. ALL the television programs (and national radio shows) that aren't on the local networks change the time they are on TWICE A YEAR. A program on cable TV that is advertised as being on at 10 p.m. is NEVER on at 10 p.m. here, but it also changes the time it is on twice a year. So as soon as I get used to watching it at one time that is not 10 p.m., it switches to yet another time. It's utterly maddening.
I never thought of all that. Maybe it is worse to not play along!

So if AZ is officially in the Mountain time zone, same as Denver, your prime time TV would begin at 7 p.m., as it does heer in Denver. So now that you didn't move your clocks forward, when it's 7 p.m. in Denver, it's only 6 p.m. in Phoenix, same as in L.A. But Prime time in L.A. (and Eastern time) starts at 8 p.m. So does that mean shows that normally begin at 7 p.m. (for example, The Middle on Wednesdays starts at 7 p.m. in Denver and Mountain Time) will actually begin at 6 p.m. in Phoenix? Or do they change it and have it start at 8 p.m. the Phoenix time, the same time it starts in L.A.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates