Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
It's not suggested. It's true. Some African countries have average IQ's in the 70's.
Based upon what?

What were the questions asked?

If an IQ test contains only questions about automobile engine mechanics, plumbing, electricity, how would YOU fare?

If an IQ test consisted of only questions about quantum mechanics, how would YOU fare?

As my old perfessor once said, IQ is what IQ tests measure!

PS if you lived in a post holocaust world, would you have the "IQ" to survive?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's one of the greatest ironies about the Jewish people: some of them have been among the most effective capitalists the world has ever seen, while on the other hand, the Marxist/Communist movement was disproportionately led and comprised of Jews.
That's the result of that intellectual educated thing.

PS Marx did not seek to establish the Perfect Government. He merely sought to determine the bases of income inequality and propose means to deal with it, as have practically all economists, including Adam Smith. There is a further complication in the writings of Marx, based upon the historical context of his times, but this is not the proper forum to address it.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Perhaps it can be said that Jews are everything that the ideologue free market capitalist white conservatives say we all should be?

Just tossing that out as a point of debate...
That may be true to some extent, but not for all Jews. It would be unreasonable not to think some are rotten to the core.

My SIL has promised me when they take over the world I will get protection.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A lot are business oriented...

As a business person, getting the best deal, driving a hard bargain are part and parcel of doing business.

I was part of a conversation with a very successful Doctor and the question came up why none of his children went into medicine and he said there's no money in it.

His boys are in Real Estate and known for cost cutting to the extreme... Dad said if they can shave a nickel off a contract or bring in a new company to undercut and existing vendor it is a done deal...

Might work for them... just imagine if everyone did business this way?
I think that's called the best of free market capitalism by the free market capitalist true believers.

That's why our manufacturing is in China, and our textile industry in in India, Singapore, and Lesotho, for gawdssakes.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
That may be true to some extent, but not for all Jews. It would be unreasonable not to think some are rotten to the core.

My SIL has promised me when they take over the world I will get protection.
I suppose that nothing is true for everyone in any group, however that group is defined.

Glad you will be protected. With any luck I will be dead before the world is taken over by anyone in particular.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
It's incredibly impressive. I think it's due to intelligence, work ethic, education, and understanding and executing delayed gratification principles.

Most of the Jews I've known practice the above but also play hard ball business always. They're not likable and really don't like or respect non-Jews (especially Christians) from what I can tell.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:00 AM

31 posts, read 71,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
"This list is by no means an exact science. But those who we considered Jewish were those who were of Jewish descent or those who openly identified as Jews either personally or in thier giving. There are a number of folks on this list below that we were unsure about, and they are denoted with asterisks.
Some quick stats: We are reasonably certain that 139 of the richest 400 Americans are Jewish, including 20 of the richest 50. Those top 20 control some $211.8 billion in personal wealth."

At least 139 of the Forbes 400 are Jewish | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

I was stunned to read that 139 of the 400 richest people in 2011 were Jewish (35% of the richest). I looked through the list and have no reason to think it is not accurate. And they accomplished this incredible feat even though the Jewish population comprises only 2% of all Americans.

I don't understand their success secrets, but I would think that all other groups could benefit by studying their incredible accomplishments and try to reproduce their success.
If that stuns you, go look at the proportion of Jewish Nobel Laureates. Their culture historically emphasized education and learning. The "rabbi" in most traditional jewish neighborhoods wasn't just the guy with charisma trying to sell god. He was the smartest guy in the room. It is very much a meritocracy that prizes good brains. As Jews assimilated into western culture over the past 150 years, those brains were unleashed on the world into science, business, and medicine with spectacular results.

Most modern jews, though, are only jewish by ancestral heritage and do not practice judiasm or belong to a jewish community. So, aside from some vestige of good brains, being jewish is no advantage in an of itself.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
It's called valuing education and pushing yourself to succeed. Many ethnic groups do this. It really works. The other factor is group cohesiveness, as in helping your peers out when they need a hand. Many groups do this too. The last factor is not wishing to disappoint your parents. I don't know if you want it to be some obscure reason, but there it is...

Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I think that's called the best of free market capitalism by the free market capitalist true believers.

That's why our manufacturing is in China, and our textile industry in in India, Singapore, and Lesotho, for gawdssakes.
The key then is to know how far you can push before it all comes down.

I'm certain at this point GM would gladly take back the pennies saved with the ignition switch debacle if it could...

Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
One reason many Jews are "successful"--successful in terms of the pop-culture sense of the word in that it means RICH--is that they enter high paid professions such as media, medicine, law, and finance, while scoffing at blue collar or civil service work such as firefighting, policing, bricklaying, farming, carpentry, construction, and so on. If they had a reputation in those fields of being successful, we likely wouldn't have these sorts of threads because in America today, successful is another word for rich, and usually doesn't pertain to success in itself, which is the fulfillment of an end goal or favorable termination of an endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates