Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

I am married to a person who comes from a culturally Jewish background and I attended an elementary school that was 3/4s Jewish.

1. Jewish people value education from pre-school on. Some ways that they implement this include the following - destination vacations with an educational theme rather than theme parks. They will go to Disney once, but no yearly pilgrimages.

2. Summer camp or other structured activities. Children loose educational ground during the Summer. Keeping them structured and among like minded, educationally oriented people, fuels this.

3. College. Four Years of it. No questions asked. Most Jews (not so much DHs family) also opt for a college that is residential, as opposed to commuter.
They will even get a mediocre student into a 4 year college. Usually with good results.

4. They don't stop parenting at 18.

5. No teenage pregnancies. They generally derail a child's life.

6. They help their children financially - no questions asked. And in turn, their children help their elderly parents.

7. There is no "everyman for himself", "sink or swim" "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" attitude when it comes to children.

8. Similarly, they expect a lot out of their children in terms of achievement. They generally want a certain type of achievement - white collar professional.
I've never heard a Jewish parent say "whatever makes you happy" and let their kids go to a trade and technical school instead of college.

If it seems that there isn't a lot of wiggle room in a Jewish family, that's true.

There you have it. We have raised out two this way. It works.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with it.

There is a strong correlation between intelligence and wealth.
To be more exact, there is a strong correlation between wealth and academic accolades, and academic achievements. Now does academic accolades and achievements actually mean you are intelligent? That still remains to be proven concrete. It is the same as the middle ages and before. Wealth had a strong correlation with titles, honorary ranks, and ownership of land, and slaves or serfs. Now did all those people really truely earn those in the way they are supposed to: by being a hardcore warrior who took on any challengers and beat them to the dirt?

by the way, cant you train for those IQ tests?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
I wonder which ethnic groups make up the 1000 or 5000 wealthiest americans list. Why dont they do something like that? That list would tell an even better story. It is always about the jews, the jews, jews.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM

684 posts, read 869,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with it.

There is a strong correlation between intelligence and wealth.
You posted: "A Jewish average IQ of 115 is 8 points higher than the generally accepted IQ of their closest rivals—Northeast Asians—and approximately 40% higher than the global average IQ of 79.1 calculated by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen in IQ and Global Inequity"

I don't know the source of what you posted. Still, it certainly is surprising to me.

I may be wrong, I've always read that eugenics and the Bell Curve had been debunked. If what you posted is true, that would argue strongly for the Bell Curve being true. And if the Jewish community has an inherent 15 point IQ advantage over the rest of America, that would certainly go towards explaining this incredible wealth disparity.

Moreover, if besides being inherently smarter, Jewish children also studied harder or more effectively than other children, that would be yet another huge advantage.

As for a correlation between intelligence and wealth, if an inherent Jewish intelligence advantage does exist, the wealth data would definitely evidence such a correlation.

(Thanks for the input.)

Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well one only has to look at the history of commerce in Europe to see Jews where way ahead of others as a culture. They were business men in high numbers and passed on the lessons. its also why they became targets of envy and politicians who sold hate. based o that envy. Now day you se the same of Asians. Failure often hates success has they say.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am married to a person who comes from a culturally Jewish background and I attended an elementary school that was 3/4s Jewish.

1. Jewish people value education from pre-school on. Some ways that they implement this include the following - destination vacations with an educational theme rather than theme parks. They will go to Disney once, but no yearly pilgrimages.

2. Summer camp or other structured activities. Children loose educational ground during the Summer. Keeping them structured and among like minded, educationally oriented people, fuels this.

3. College. Four Years of it. No questions asked. Most Jews (not so much DHs family) also opt for a college that is residential, as opposed to commuter.
They will even get a mediocre student into a 4 year college. Usually with good results.

4. They don't stop parenting at 18.

5. No teenage pregnancies. They generally derail a child's life.

6. They help their children financially - no questions asked. And in turn, their children help their elderly parents.

7. There is no "everyman for himself", "sink or swim" "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" attitude when it comes to children.

8. Similarly, they expect a lot out of their children in terms of achievement. They generally want a certain type of achievement - white collar professional.
I've never heard a Jewish parent say "whatever makes you happy" and let their kids go to a trade and technical school instead of college.

If it seems that there isn't a lot of wiggle room in a Jewish family, that's true.

There you have it. We have raised out two this way. It works.
Well, I'm about as Jewish as they come, and I took the kids to Disney every chance I got when they were of an age to enjoy it! Once my parents had paid for private school, Ivy league college, and professional school, there was very little money from them - but I didn't need it. It's true that there was a culture of academic achievement and musical achievement, which I've passed down to my kids. We were sent to summer camp so that we wouldn't be bored and underfoot. I remember once asking my mother why our house wasn't as nice as our cousins' houses, and she said, "We poured a fortune into you children!" And she was right, they had.

But these values are shared by other ethnic groups, too - look at the achievement of Asian immigrant children nowadays. Anyone can do it. Just kill the TV, and spend time working with your kids on academic games. Take them to the library very often. Find activities that are intellectually enriching, in addition to sports.

But it's not just wealth that's created. Jews are vastly overrepresented in the helping professions, legal aid, civil rights, gay rights, social justice organizations, anything that fulfills the moral commandment, "Justice, justice shall you pursue!"

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
In America most kids are brought up to just do good in school and accept being who they are. While I look at Jewish families there are more grooming of their kids and a path set forth by the parents including paying to part of a community that plays heavy influence.

The problem I have with Jews is that if I had known there is a strong representation of Jews in a company top down I rather work somewhere else. I've seen many times that Jews are only hiring Jews or helping their own to the ranks while other ethnics don't get equal opportunity and will get pushed out if they demand promotion. I've worked at company where a new Jewish director was hired and in 6 months he has hired only Jews to help him manage and created extra management layers to further marginalize existing managers that are not Jewish systematically.

This is how I believe many acquired their positions in American companies. It's not about IQs, experience, or money. I've witness my manager with the company for 14 years get marginalized by an incoming Jewish manager because the new higher ups are predominantly Jewish and others that weren't start taking notice and either quits or eventually get let go.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well one only has to look at the history of commerce in Europe to see Jews where way ahead of others as a culture. They were business men in high numbers and passed on the lessons. its also why they became targets of envy and politicians who sold hate. based o that envy. Now day you se the same of Asians. Failure often hates success has they say.
I'm not Jewish, but I've thought this, too. That instead of hating Jews because they are wealthy and successful, uh, why not ask them to teach you what they are doing?

If you want to know how to be successful, go ask a successful person.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I should have pointed out I am not Jewish either: I guess.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Yes calculus instead of hip hop for a start
Joining a violin quartet instead of a rape gang
Just a few guesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates