Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I tend to not believe things like this. I think it's a gross exaggeration and a big fat myth. How many of these people do you actually know? You've "seen" them but do you actually know them? And just how many have you "seen"? People who say things like this make it sound like everyone is like this but I never see it myself and know nobody who has those things.
People are always saying they see stuff like this, but somehow it's never worth reporting fraud to the authorities. I guess they aren't so sure after all.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I may be a little biased on this subject having been a cashier and seen people spend all their food stamps on expensive foods that I couldn't afford, and then watching them spend cash on fancy furniture, movies, big-screen TVs and the like, but I think most of them deserve to be put in their place. I once heard a twelve-year old girl say to her mother, who spent almost 100 bucks of WIC on the baby formulas she needed, "I can't wait until I'm old enough to get on WIC!" It was so hard to keep my mouth shut my blood started boiling.

Then of course there's the fact that so many of them have entitled, nasty attitudes and walk into stores with a chip on their shoulder, like just because those of us who work for a living and pay their taxes on top of it, are there that we have to put up with whatever treatment they dish out because the taxpayers are paying for everything they buy and therefore they strangely consider themselves "customers". The ones on WIC can't even be bothered to bring their own pen to the store!!! I'm so over the entitlement mentality in this country and I feel that it's not getting any better. It's disgusting!!!

I'm sorry, but I ind this story dubious at best. It sounds like a tired cliche circulated by (pick the radio/TV commentator). In all my years of going grocery shopping for the family, and being stuck in line behind a WIC, foodstamp, etc. customer, I have yet to see anyone buy expensive food with food stamps or assistance. What I usually see is someone buying a months worth of food for their family. Usually large bags of rice and the like.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to blow all the foodstamps on expensive items. If you did, you'd be eating air the rest of the month.

My suggestion, keep your eyes and ears on your own business.

I don't waste a lot of brain matter over who gets what and why in this country. I figure "there but for the Grace of God go I."

Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

Do you not understand that the government/media/right-wing/religion/etc. turns being poor into "Us vs. Them" so that they can keep people divided, angry, and distracted from the real issues? And you clearly do not understand that the first step in creating an enemy is to dehumanize them and create overblown, ridiculous myths about them so that they seem more foreign and more threatening (drug using welfare queen with 16 kids and a BMW anyone?) It's how every war begins, and you're just too blind to see it.
And who's the main driving force behind these stereotypes? The Liberal and Conservative media outlets...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: keep it on topic please

Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
People are always saying they see stuff like this, but somehow it's never worth reporting fraud to the authorities. I guess they aren't so sure after all.

Basically because it doesn't happen. Think about it, if you blow a month's worth of foodstamps on "steak and lobster" you eat air the rest of the month. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Basically because it doesn't happen. Think about it, if you blow a month's worth of foodstamps on "steak and lobster" you eat air the rest of the month. It just doesn't make any sense.
I've purchased food stamps from people when I wasn't able to get my own, so you're saying they starved themselves to help me? It seemed to me they had about 25x the amount that they needed in order to survive and were selling of the excesses.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I've purchased food stamps from people when I wasn't able to get my own, so you're saying they starved themselves to help me? It seemed to me they had about 25x the amount that they needed in order to survive and were selling of the excesses.

Please don't put words in my mouth (or keyboard).

No, what you describe is foodstamp fraud, and you just admitted to it on a public forum.

What I am saying, is that the myth of the lobster and steak buying foodstamper is just that, a myth. The story is almost exactly the same, word for word. The only difference is the location and the author.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So you are saying you helped them commit fraud by "buying" their food stamps, a wise man indeed?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM

31,019 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
NO, I advocate that the adults act responsibly and only have as many children as they can reasonably afford to care for without resorting to expecting other people to support them for years and years.

When a female dog gets pregnant it is because she does not have the means to make a choice about it, it is up to the humans to care for her and get her spayed.

I have no problem with society, via the government, providing a safety net for those who have fallen on hard times and need short term assistance until they are able to get back on their feet again and become self supporting, as well as those who due to illness or injury become permanently disabled and can not support themselves. I have a dear friend who began working and taking care of herself at 18 and at 45 did become permanently disabled. Walking from the bedroom to the kitchen is about as much as she can mange without supplemental oxygen but she would be overjoyed to have her health back and to be fully functional and able to work, take a dog for a walk around the block, etc. I do not in the least begrudge her the SSDI she gets and it does not come close to what she used to earn.
And 90+% of us agree would with the highlited.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm getting out of this thread because the ignorance astounds me.

Do you not understand that the government/media/right-wing/religion/etc. turns being poor into "Us vs. Them" so that they can keep people divided, angry, and distracted from the real issues? And you clearly do not understand that the first step in creating an enemy is to dehumanize them and create overblown, ridiculous myths about them so that they seem more foreign and more threatening (drug using welfare queen with 16 kids and a BMW anyone?) It's how every war begins, and you're just too blind to see it.
That's a door that swings in both directions, but you'll never get the so-called "progressives" here to admit it; the worn-out charges of "racism" and "class struggle" are raised whenever the abuses of the societal safety net are brought up and challenged.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
So you are saying you helped them commit fraud by "buying" their food stamps, a wise man indeed?
Yes I was starving and needed to feed four kids and couldn't qualify for food stamps so I purchased them on the Black Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates