Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why do some people take every opportunity to verbally attack people on assistance? I am constantly reading posts on forums and social sites that indicate that anyone one welfare or food stamps is a greedy, lazy freeloader.

That is not the case. As a single mom of two children, we are on welfare. I work 40-50 hours a week in addition to maintaining a household and raising children.

I know way more people that work full time and get assistance, then I know that do not work and get assistance. Help me understand.

I think that's wrong also. I feel sorry for people who have to have governmental assistance. Any verbal attacks are categorically wrong.

However, there is something in your post that will tend to rub many middle and above middle class people the wrong way - why do you have children?

I don't understand having children if you can't afford them? I finished my first masters, bought a condo and married before we thought of one child, much less two of them.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 04-16-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I know that I am disabled and my husband works his butt off and we tried to get help one time and we were told no , your husband makes too much money ...really news to us . if it were not for our church we would go hungry a lot of times and food prices are going up every week and sometimes we may get a package of hot dogs and a couple cans of tuna .we live very frugally and our car is 20 yrs old ...we make sure our bills get paid first thing and we don't go out to eat , we don't have cable tv , we have a cell phone because that is the only phone we have . We don't have a big screen tv . Yet we make too much money for the government assistance program I think their standards need to be lower so that they can help more people ...yes some take advantage of the system we however are not that . We honestly need help and we cannot get it . Our pastor even tried to get us help and they told him to mind his own business .this was the first time we had ever tried to get help and we never applied again and they look at you like you are lazy and dirty and that they are above you so I don't want to be put through that again ...

Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

I don't understand having children if you can't afford them? I finished my first masters, bought a condo and married before we thought of one child, much less two of them.

I don't get it either. My brother and SIL decided to wait until were able to care for children before having them. They both finished their masters and got their careers going. They now have two kids. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
You would think that people who do not need assistance would be happy & grateful about that fact. Instead, I see nothing but grumbling, accusing, name calling & pointing fingers at the people who do need assistance. How about cutting out the constant anger in ones life? Do people need to be angry about something at all times? It's bizarre.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM

100 posts, read 213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Although the figure varies from place to place, public schools cost in the neighborhood of $10,000 per student per year. How many people do you know who pay that much in taxes just for that one service? If you want to play the game, parents of kids under 18 are, far and away, the biggest takers in America. Those of us without kids are the one getting taken to the cleaners to pay for their little brats. But that's ok with me, because just about everybody gets much more from the government than they pay in and I believe doing something for children is important. However, you cannot neatly divide our population in those who pay and those who don't. Everybody gets taxed at some point. The mythological non contributing welfare queen is as real as unicorns and Santa Claus.
You cannot generalize what someone pays "per student" every state is different, some significantly so. 18 years is a very short time for someone to be a "Big taker" in the span of things. Your also paying more for those "little brats" of people that pay nothing into the system.

The "non contributing welfare queen" exists, I sadly have a step-sister that is one. She has never worked a day in more than 20 years and she is fully capable of contributing to society but chooses to get fat on your dime and mine while pushing out children. You can't say that you are paying less for her 5 children than you are for a 3.5 middle class family in the suburbs.

Last edited by aimeesc; 04-16-2014 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors :)

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Food stamps and entitlement programs are a small amount of the total money collected from taxpayers.
Who cares about what the actual amount is?
The point is that it's other people supporting a group of people.
I actually have no problem with that. I think that it's the duty of a citizen in society to uplift others.
We are all in this together.

The problem I have is this DAILY slap in the face of the abuse I see. 1% my ass. Just about everyone uses the food stamps for the food so they can use their other money (claimed or unclaimed) for "fun stuff." I see the fun stuff march in and out of my doors *daily*. I don't have to stalk anyone; their financial picture is a few clicks away.

Or hell...like my mother asked the guy who charged her thousands of dollars to paint her house and he told her (proud and loud) that his wife claims the kids to keep the medicaid so his son got free braces. Or like the social workers who would practically hold classes at the border to teach people how to get free stuff. These aren't stories. This is regular life.

Of course I am also angry about defense contract waste and stupid, pointless wars (wasted young lives!). I am angry about any waste, fraud, entitlement, perpetuated bad life choices, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeesc View Post
You cannot generalize what someone pays "per student" every state is different, some signifcanly so. 18 years is a very short time for someone to be a "Big taker" in the span of things. Your also paying more for those "little brats" of people that pay nothing into the system.

The "non contributing welfare queen" exists, I sadly have a step-sister that is one. She has never worked a day in more than 20 years and she is fully capabile of contributing to society but chooses to get fat on your dime and mine while pushing out children. You can't say that you are paying less for her 5 children than you are for a 3.5 middle class family in the suburbs.
Those days will come to a sad end when she most needs to have had a background of work. When those kids age out and the money stops coming in, what is she going to do?

Non-working women between the ages of 50 - 65 are not in a good place.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You would think that people who do not need assistance would be happy & grateful about that fact. Instead, I see nothing but grumbling, accusing, name calling & pointing fingers at the people who do need assistance. How about cutting out the constant anger in ones life? Do people need to be angry about something at all times? It's bizarre.
You are right! If it was so great, people would gladly trade places - lol.

You might see them go out and get filet mignon at the beginning of the month, but the rest, its standing in line at the food pantry for weird items. Begging for money to keep the utilities on and trying to hitch a ride to a doctor's appointment.

The life of Riley - I tell ya!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Plus it sounds like someone is being a stalker. How do you know these people who buy the expensive foods are also buying big screen TVs? .
I rang them up. If you'd read my post, you would have realized that.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Why do some people take every opportunity to verbally attack people on assistance?
Short answer: because they're told to. Hate radio and stilted TV "News" like to provide easy targets for the anger and fear of the rabid right.

Longer explanation: these assistance programs are in reality nothing more than corporate welfare. As you've stated, you're working full time, yet need assistance to get by. When that assistance is provided by the taxpayer, then your employer can continue to pay peanuts, which increases his bottom line at the public's expense. If the day comes when the minimum wage is increased to a living wage level, then these assistance programs can be reduced. But I seriously doubt that we'll live to see that day. Corporate America owns the government and the current arrangement is to their liking. Along the same lines, it's corporate America that benefits from the presence of millions of sub-minimum wage illegals in our midst, so don't look for that situation to be improved anytime soon, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates