Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Yes. The country is overpopulated enough. If people would stop being selfish and stop having kids for their own sake, maybe we can get the population under control.

I always wonder, if we stopped all infertility treatments, how fast would the population be reduced?
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but have you considered the alternative? The entire world economy is basically a Ponzi scheme, dependent upon constant growth that can only be fueled by an ever-expanding population. The productivity of the working-age segment of the population is what supports the aging Americans who no longer pay into the system, and that segment of aging citizens is growing larger and living longer every year. If you cut back on the number of working-age citizens, where are the resources going to come from to feed you and me when we're old?

Again, not saying you're wrong, but we're caught in a trap here. There is no painless way to reduce our population growth. We need more kids now, so that we don't starve in 20 or 30 years.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Really? Because the woman that I babysit for has a son that she adopted. She said that they called her as soon as he was born and she got him that same day (free of charge). I thought that couples were adopting from outside the country because it's faster.

Aren't the prices for IVF and adopting an infant similar?
I think it depends on the services you go through. I know a couple who adopted through a Christian service. They paid for all the medical for the pregnant woman. Others I know are single women who are well off and could support a child on their own, but agencies won't adopt to them. One woman I knew, her husband was in a wheelchair, they were denied because "what if something happens to her, how will the husband take care of the child". I dunno. Different agencies, different rules. The single friend has been researching adoption since she was 30 (she's now 42), her only choice is out of the country because she's single.

As for prices, again, I'd think it depends on the agency. The single friend I talked about, she has thought about finding a sperm bank and just getting PG because it'll be easier than adopting. I told her to jut find some hot/smart man and get knocked up. This was years ago. Now that she's in her 40's, she won't go the PG route.

My cousin did IVF, I was told it was $10k a try. They tried 3x and ended up with twins the last round.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
We have lost all sense of purpose, if wanting your own child to love, nurture and raise is now considered being selfish.
Wanting a child to love, nurture, and raise, is NOT selfish. Wanting a child to love, nurture, and raise, that is of your own DNA and paying exorbitant amounts of money to make it happen, when you can adopt, is what is selfish. Don't mince my words please. There's a big difference between not accepting and loving an adopted child because they're not your DNA.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:

I'm all for ending infertility treatments and supporting sterilization/birth control.
If you are opposed to infertility treatments no one is forcing you to have them. But I don't think you should be dictating to anyone else what they decide to do.

Plenty of support for birth control/sterilization is already available.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but have you considered the alternative? The entire world economy is basically a Ponzi scheme, dependent upon constant growth that can only be fueled by an ever-expanding population. The productivity of the working-age segment of the population is what supports the aging Americans who no longer pay into the system, and that segment of aging citizens is growing larger and living longer every year. If you cut back on the number of working-age citizens, where are the resources going to come from to feed you and me when we're old?

Again, not saying you're wrong, but we're caught in a trap here. There is no painless way to reduce our population growth. We need more kids now, so that we don't starve in 20 or 30 years.

IMHO, it seems like the Baby Boomers are doing just fine w/o enough Gen X'ers to support them, because Gen X'ers had enough babies and the Millennials are starting to catch up to Boomer numbers. Hmm...the economy was good before the Millennials came around. What does that say? We were doing fine w/o another Baby Boom. And with this new Boom, it's sucking us dry. Look how many families have more kids than they thought they'd have due to fertility treatments. They couldn't "kill" a viable egg, so they had them and figured they'd make it work or hope to get help from....their parents or worse companies. Whatever I truly feel, doesn't really matter. People will continue to have children and it looks like we're on the cusp of yet another Baby Boom. Like this world needs to be run by seniors citizens (not working, not contributing) and young kids (not working, not contributing). Looks like Gen X and Y are going to have to support everyone.....and I'm sure they'll do it, because life goes on.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If you are opposed to infertility treatments no one is forcing you to have them. But I don't think you should be dictating to anyone else what they decide to do.
I'm not forcing nor dictating to anyone else what they should or should not do. I am simply expressing my opinion. There's a difference.

Quote:
Plenty of support for birth control/sterilization is already available.
It's just too bad the people that should use it, don't.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
I think if it gives a family hope of having a child, then so be it. The great thing about America is we have the freedom to be able to decide what's best for our own lives... If you want 15 babies, then have at it.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:59 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
At this point in time, I do feel it is selfish, though I know people who've done it successfully and wouldn't want to rob them of their joy. The wife & I chose to go the foster-to-adopt route, and I have no regrets.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Yes. The country is overpopulated enough. If people would stop being selfish and stop having kids for their own sake, maybe we can get the population under control.

I always wonder, if we stopped all infertility treatments, how fast would the population be reduced? Especially since infertility treatments tend to produce multiple babies (twins, triplets, etc) to people who wouldn't have them otherwise.

I'm all for ending infertility treatments and supporting sterilization/birth control.
All that it would take to get population under control is to limit immigration. Americans are NOT having too many babies. We've been at replacement level for some years --- it's the very high number of those coming in from third world nations with their sky high birth rates that is causing the huge population increase.

Americans are having to pay for all the children of illegals -- who are now 8% of those having children. It's rather absurd that those doing all the paying cannot have children of their own.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,095 times
I thought the map was interesting...I'm guessing that the states where the number is zero must not have access to those sorts of services.

We used fertility drugs only...no IVF, insemination etc. We were successful with one pregnancy. We had one pregnancy where we conceived without use of the meds.

I'd like someone to tell me why using such treatments is wrong. I can see having individual discussions about each of the options listed, but I can't see making a point blank statement telling others they shouldn't be used.

We never ruled out adoption but never looked into it seriously. From what I understand the potential for expensive legal bills is quite high especially if there are some sort of discrepancies during the adoption process. Travel costs seem like they can be quite expensive as well. I briefly thought about adopting abroad, after we had a couple children of our own. I remember at the very time I thought about it there were news stories about the birth mothers not having given their full consent. That wasn't something I'd want to be involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates