Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist?
Depending on who the audience is, I think it's refreshingly honest to just come out and say "white" instead of trying to use code words like "safe neighborhood" and "good schools".

Of course, if you say that to a middle class black person then it's obviously offensive. Kinda like telling a black kid to "stop acting white" if he happens to be middle class and black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Depending on who the audience is, I think it's refreshingly honest to just come out and say "white" instead of trying to use code words like "safe neighborhood" and "good schools".
Except many people who say "safe neighborhood" or "good schools" really do mean "safe neighborhood" or "good schools" with no racial implications whatsoever. I'm one of them. My own neighborhood is fairly safe, and it is zoned for good schools, but it is far from exclusively "white".

Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
In South Florida, there is no such thing as a white neighborhood so no, it isn't refreshingly honest it is bigoted and racist.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
IMO a post asking for instance about a "russian community" is not trying to exclude areas that contain people that are not Russian. They may just want a place where people speak Russian occasionally because they miss using the language. They may have some specific food interests that not mainstream in the U.S. and wish to be near stores that cater to them.

When someone asks about finding an all white community, it is the exclusion of others rather than the inclusion of factors that help them. It is unlikely that you would find all Russian or all Jewish community, but you might find areas where the views, languages, etc are expressed commonly.

I do believe that it can tread a difficult line, but to me, the difference is seeking inclusion vs exclusion.

For those that still don't seem to get it. Russian Community (for example) is not ALL RUSSIAN. The op example suggested people seeking an "ALL WHITE" community. It can be a Russian or Jewish or Black or Hispanic or Japanese culture without being 100% of any of those things. If half the people were Japanese and spoke Japanese and discussed things that happened in Japan, I would call it a Japanese community. If someone is looking for an ALL WHITE community, they are looking for the complete exclusion of other people, thoughts, and cultures. That is very different from looking for something that includes their interest.
Requesting an ethnic community is a different ballgame.

But on my local forum, people have posted straight up that they are looking for a community with only white people. Not upper middle class people. Or young professionals or whatever might be seen as a proxy for white, but white. Usually those people have issues. Lots of them (because obviously you can have upper middle class or white collar neighborhoods with a range of ethnic groups. Particularly in the region I live in.

On a slightly related angle, "white privilege" also leads to the idea that no one, other than non white people, should consider or be concerned with the ethnic makeup of their neighborhood. We had a recent thread where a poster was considering 2 very equivalent job offers. They both would have been really good for the OP's career. I commented that job offer 1 wold put him in less ethnically integrated areas, whereas job offer 2 would offer more integration of ethnic groups. This comment was an FYI, but other posted chimed in to say tha info wasn't relevant to the decision making process. The OP later commented that those were issues for him, but he didn't put it in the initial post.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines of the preferences.

Personally, I prefer to live in a more diverse neighborhood, so it is easier to find hair salons and personal care products. I also want my regular grocery store to be fully stocked with all sorts of "ethnic" cooking ingredients because I like to make all sorts of food at home. Living in an un-diverse place means I am not able to get access to those ingredients. And if one of my "other ethnic" friends comes to visit, people might find it weird we are together. All of that stuff makes me pretty uncomfortable, so if I have a choice I want to be around all types of people.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:47 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
I'm not Asian but I don't give a damn if I'm considered "racist". So what ISN"T racist today:

Last time I was called that was because I declined a black panhandler. I don't have to fund someone's drug habits.

It's barely a cliche, barely a lame excuse.

People's opinions, especially blacks, mean nothing to me. Same old drivel. Same bias. Why the hell should I be manipiulated by anyone (or NOBODY) who relies on race only to get anywhere. Man up.

Reminds me of my Army days. As an instructor I had Job One, and no white guilt was involved. You could not play the race card either. Any recruit that thought differently didn't last long. (Thank God) You washed out and had no legal recourse.
Serious question...how do you know he was on drugs? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it because he was black or did he smell like drugs or did he tell you that's what he was going to be using the money for?

I think a lot of times people categorize people of certain races as one way but whites are typically not put into such categories. I have heard people say such things as they don't want to live near blacks because the crime will increase etc. or I don't want to live near Hispanics because they aren't clean and always have too many people living in their houses and are loud.

Typcially when a minority asks about neighborhoods, its because they are trying to find somewhere where they will be culturally accepted. Most black people I know that ask about black neighborhoods usually also ask about mixed neighborhoods or neighborhoods that aren't prejudiced. They don't have to live in an exclusively black neighborhood but they want to make sure that they won't be discriminated against or they want to be near businesses or churches that reflect their culture.

Since white isn't a culture, one would naturally wonder if the person is racist if someone asked about staying in an all white neighborhood. Now if that same person were to say they wanted to stay in an Italian neighborhood or German neighborhood then you might assume they want to be near those who are culturally like them or have access to businesses/organizations that support their culture.

Last edited by PJA; 05-15-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I had a snappy reply to this, but then I realized that my post would do nothing more than push this thread down the path from a legitimate, honest, question about immigrant groups to a petty squabble about whether African Americans (technically an ethnic group and not a race) can be racist against Whites (technically a color and not a race).
Glad someone else noticed this thread has deviated from what the OP actually stated.

Like I said before, the beauty of the current US is that there is something for everyone.

Some people prefer to stay within the tribe, while others are explorers and discoverers.

Probably the majority are somewhere between those 2 extremes.

The difference between modern day and earlier America is that before only 1 of the options was allowed and people could suffer serious social penalties if they chose otherwise.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:34 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully.

Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist?

I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.
I don't think that comment in and of itself is racist per-se if you're just making a general observation about the racial makeup.

However, I had a person say, "Yeah, I'm moving to XYZ. It's 75% white. I'm going to feel much more comfortable there!" I'm an African-American female, and I THOUGHT I'd always been friendly and welcoming to him; most AA folks where we were were friendly to everybody. I thought that was racist and offensive.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-15-2014 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-15-2014, 02:47 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully.

I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.
I'd like to know why you say that.

Is this what you've been told to think?

One can see diversity as chaotic, and any person should not be judged for a feeling, and then be labelled.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:58 PM

162 posts, read 177,263 times
Damned if they do and damned if they don't. When whites fled neighborhoods that saw an increase in black population it was called "white flight" and they were accused of being racist because hey didn't want any part of the rising crime rate. Now, they are moving into places like Bed Stuy and Bushwick Brooklyn, cleaning up neighborhoods, helping to lower crime rates and increasing property values and blacks don't like it. Spike Lee is complaining about all the white people moving in to his neighborhood. Why isn't anyone boycotting his crappy films?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I don't think it's racist. It's reality. I'm black and my preference is always majority white areas. I don't have time to deal with the nonsense from minority communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates