Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times

Advertisements

Depending on your definition of a World War...we might have already had WW3

The 7 years War and Napoleonic Wars might count as World Wars as well as a few others. They involved multiple beligerants and spanned the globe.

World War 1 was originally called "The War to End all Wars" and didn't get renamed until around the time of WW2. However, one could argue that WW2 was the continuation of WW1 as one could argue the Treaty of Versailles helped to create the ideals and goals of the Nazi Party. That's a whole other debate right there though as it's a bit complicated.

Also..one could suggest the global war on terror is a World War.

Now, if you are referring to WW3 in the sense of a atomic, devastating war....well then who knows about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
I absolutely believe we will have a WW3, it will not involve nuclear weapons, and most likely will be started by China to distract their population, and seize resources.

China will get Russia on their side, and a few other smaller countries, and it will last less then a year.

Just my guess though.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,165 times
I dont think the Russia-Ukraine conflict will do it but WWIII is coming....sooner or later, it's coming and, unlike WWI and WWII, both sides will lose.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I doubt it.
The way war is conducted is entirely different now.
Technology is such that rapid assured mutual destruction is always on the table.
I think this lends more towards subversive support of smaller regional wars with puppeteers in the background.
I also think we are more at a point where global domination is more achieved through financial avenues vs military power.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth — rocks!
Albert Einstein., in an interview with Alfred Werner, Liberal Judaism 16 (April-May 1949), 12. Einstein Archive 30-1104, as sourced in The New Quotable Einstein by Alice Calaprice (2005), p. 173.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,024 times
Personally, a WWIII will never happen in the future. Almost every country in the war will go through an economic crisis.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:01 AM

723 posts, read 868,434 times
There might be one day. Currently we still have people around who either lived through the last one, or whose close relatives did. Eventually the lessons learned from that will start to fade as generations become less aware of it, and who knows, with the right set of circumstances... the real problem will come when resources properly start to become scarce, then we'll see humanity's true nature come out. I don't want to be around when that day happens, billions of people fighting over scraps...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Will There Be A WWIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
What do you think?
no
Quote:
If Russia invades Ukraine, will the US possibly invade Russia?
no
Quote:
I think that if the WWIII does happen, the UK, France, Canada, China, etc will get involved.
Over Ukraine?

What treaty/alliance obligations do the US and those other nations have to uphold Ukraine's territorial integrity?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
What do you think? If Russia invades Ukraine, will the US possibly invade Russia? I think that if the WWIII does happen, the UK, France, Canada, China, etc will get involved.
Honestly I don't even think the US will invade China if the latter invades Japan,one of its strongest ally.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Could there be a third world war? Well, yeah. If two others have already happened, we know for a fact another could happen. Will it? Hopefully not.

You'd need to look to the past to really understand how wars of that scale go about happening.

WWI was the result of Germany's quest for nationalism and world power. Germany was unified and became it's own nation around the 1880s I believe, giver or take a decade or two. They had made a pact with Russia (which had actually been broken by the time WWI had gotten started) and made several other enemies by defeating them in war to prove their military strength. They also industrialized very quickly, making a world war possible for them. Of course, they were defeated. They did defeat Russia, and in Russia's shame of their loss opened up Lenin's opportunity to start his revolution. By the time the US had gotten involved, Germany was tired.

Upon losing the war, the League of Nations sought to make Germany as weak as possible with a number of harsh restrictions, one of which being Germany's responsibility to pay for the damage caused in Europe. Germany obviously couldn't afford this after fighting a world war. Side note: other European nations had to repay the US for the weapons they had bought to fight Germany. So Germany needs to pay off a debt, and they have no money. So what do they do? They get a loan from the closest thing to a powerful European nation they can find: The United States. So if you haven't already figured out the issue, Germany is paying the rest of Western Europe with American money, and Western Europe is paying America with America's money. Thus, this cycle of the same money caused the massive economic collapse known as the Great Depression (there were other factors of course, but this is a big one).

The depression hit Germany the hardest. With nationalism left over from WWI still waiting to be reawakened, and war veterans rampant with patriotism, the window of opportunity emerged for a great and powerful leader to rise. The leader was Adolf Hitler. He used nationalism and anti-semitism, which was already present in Germany, to gain support, took over, revitalized the economy, built a military, and started the largest conflict in human history.

Germany was of course over powered by the Soviets and the Americans, leading both nations to become massive super powers and polar opposites, despite their alliance. This differences between the two caused the Cold War, which I see as being a WWIII in of itself.

I don't really see any similar factors in any country right now. Nationalism was key for the first two World Wars. Ukraine doesn't quite have the same push for it as Germany had. Obviously, Ukraine's sovereignty is important to many Ukrainians, but Putins desire to feel like a Soviet leader is just as strong, and he needs the Ukraine to have the feeling. But I see no logical reason for the tensions between Russia and Ukraine to result in any kind of world wide conflict or another Cold War.

I also think it's note worthy that we are in fact living in the most peaceful era of recorded human history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates