Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times

Advertisements

I'm going to dramatically simplify this.

When a white teacher is denied a job by a black principal because the teacher is white, what would you call that. By most most definitions(including the one recently used) that is racism.

What do you call that, since we're now making up new definitions for words. Give a name to that situation, because by the normal definition, that is racism.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 AM

56 posts, read 62,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

When a white teacher is denied a job by a black principal because the teacher is white, what would you call that. By most most definitions(including the one recently used) that is racism.
Yes, by most definitions this would be considered racism but there is no way that this could be considered racism under the power + prejudice definition. B/c the teacher being discriminated against is white and whites have never had deeply rooted HISTORICAL, social, cultural and power inequalities in society. That bold part is straight from the definition.

Quote:
What do you call that, since we're now making up new definitions for words. Give a name to that situation, because by the normal definition, that is racism.
Often times it is prudent to change history. As time changes we hope to grow. And as we grow our rules must change. It is a natural part of human evolution. Words are always being "made up" so-to-say. What we considered "normal definition" a couple years ago can be considered uncommon now. That being said, according to Historians it is widely believed that the word racism was only used in the early 1900's. The word racism itself didn't appear in dictionaries until 1930's. Humans had language before Christ and that was about 10,000 years ago. In all of human-language-speaking history only recently did we use the word racism. I'm sure (though I have nothing to back me up) when the word racism came out it drew up some tensions between races and I'm also sure certain groups of people did not like this word or agree with it's definition. The new definition was created shortly after, only 40 years later in 70's...So to give a name to that situation would be prejudice simple as that.

If anyone disagrees with the power + prejudice = racism definition simply b/c they feel morally it is wrong or b/c making one word to describe the discrimination that one group faces and an another word for another group's experience with discrimination may even further divide us; that is a topic of discussion for another thread. But by simply reading, carefully, the definition that I posted there is no way that in the U.S. whites can experience racism or that minorities can be racist.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-25-2014 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Fixed format. You need to learn how to correctly quote, use the quote button. DM me if you need it explained.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
minorities are the most racist group out they, they live . breathe racist 24/7. its like the saying misery loves company. Instead of trying to change, they just complain. I feel 70% of racist has been brought on to themselves by their own community

Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,906 times
^^^White people don't talk about the offense, itself - they talk about THE RESPONSE to the offense. They don't talk about the injury, they speak about THE PEOPLES RESPONSE to the injury - and that's problematic. You're ignoring the offense and reinjuring the wound ~ Michael Eric Dyson

Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
No, not at all. Kidding aside, yes they definitely can and are. Not only can minorities be racist against the "majority", but they can secretly be racist against themselves, which can play out in many ways. Marrying out for instance, while it definitely doesn't mean everybody who does it is racist, but it can happen. Minorities can marry non-minorities for the status the person has or they think they will get being married to them, therefore giving their kids a better life.

Discrimination and harassment of one's own race can happen as well, either to get ahead at work or in life. Black police officers, security guards and store workers for example can profile their own race or any other minorities due to stereotypes, either to feel like they fit in or separate themselves from that race and that stereotype in their minds.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post
Yes, by most definitions this would be considered racism but there is no way that this could be considered racism under the power + prejudice definition. B/c the teacher being discriminated against is white and whites have never had deeply rooted HISTORICAL, social, cultural and power inequalities in society. That bold part is straight from the definition.

Often times it is prudent to change history. As time changes we hope to grow. And as we grow our rules must change. It is a natural part of human evolution. Words are always being "made up" so-to-say. What we considered "normal definition" a couple years ago can be considered uncommon now. That being said, according to Historians it is widely believed that the word racism was only used in the early 1900's. The word racism itself didn't appear in dictionaries until 1930's. Humans had language before Christ and that was about 10,000 years ago. In all of human-language-speaking history only recently did we use the word racism. I'm sure (though I have nothing to back me up) when the word racism came out it drew up some tensions between races and I'm also sure certain groups of people did not like this word or agree with it's definition. The new definition was created shortly after, only 40 years later in 70's...So to give a name to that situation would be prejudice simple as that.

If anyone disagrees with the power + prejudice = racism definition simply b/c they feel morally it is wrong or b/c making one word to describe the discrimination that one group faces and an another word for another group's experience with discrimination may even further divide us; that is a topic of discussion for another thread. But by simply reading, carefully, the definition that I posted there is no way that in the U.S. whites can experience racism or that minorities can be racist.
It's funny how the word racist as used in certain circles has evolved.

First the understanding of the word was the same that everyone else in society had: attitudes or discrimination which treated people differently based on race.

Then whites started complaining about affirmative action, so the qualifier that those attitudes or discrimination be negative was added.

Then people started pointing out that favorable discrimination in a zero-sum situation is effectively negative discrimination against everyone else, and anyway most white people who have spent a non-negligible amount of time in heavily black areas have experience with slurs and other sorts of minor day-to-day bigotry against them.

So then definition was changed to power+prejudice: government and institutional racism against white people can be argued (although not convincingly, but that's a separate debate) not to be driven by prejudice and the person on the street muttering racial slurs against you has no power, so this makes those cases "not racism" again.

Then people point out situations like that with the principle and the teacher above, and the definition then changes yet again to "deeply rooted HISTORICAL, social, cultural and power inequalities in society" in your words.

Frankly, this is all people who openly advocate racial discrimination against white people (and often Asians as well these days, with Hispanics rarely thrown in for good measure) torturing the definition of racism until it is something completely different from the general practical definition used by society so that they don't have to internally face up to the truth that they are advocates of racial discrimination themselves and, yes, racists.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Remember way way back wen a group of whites would gang up and attack a single black man merely because of the color of his skin? That was a form of racism. Today across many urban areas, the same thing is happiness only this time the gang is black and their victim is white.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post

By your own definition, the example given is racism. The racist black principal has the power, the white teacher applying for work does not have the power. There are many forms of power and this is one example.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,906 times
Why is it that when we say we want to have a conversation on race, white people want to have a conversation about blackness? You don't want to have a conversation on race, you don't want to have the conversation on white privilege, unconscious bias, you don't want to talk about the collective world we've made as black, brown, red, yellow, and white people. You want to lecture black people.
~ Michael Eric Dyson

Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:

And really how often does this happen? Do you think that a black principal (most likely working in a white controlled system) would dare to do that? Apparently you haven't heard of the UFT.

And don't say Newark because the state controls the schools in that town. I suspect that the same applies to Detroit.

This is the problem. There was a time when being white, and especially male, brought automatic privileges when being compared to others, especially black. This is now less so the case, and so there is a back lash, with tirades of imaginary anti white racism, despite the fact that in most cases the systems are white controlled.

Now are people claiming that the mainly white controlled systems are victimizing whites in favor of non whites? Maybe if a white person isn't good enough a non white might be hired instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates