Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Polio has been eradicated in India, which is quite the feat considering this is a country with many issues, including "open defecation". At face value this sounds like wonderful news but the positive news fails to mention some of the negative consequences of this vaccination campaign. In 2011 alone, 47,500 kids were paralyzed in India and there is evidence that this number is tied to the polio vaccine program. Cases of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis dramatically increased in India in conjunction with the campaign to eradicate polio. There has been a twelve fold increase in cases since the beginning of the polio eradication campaign. The increase in the occurrence of non-polio AFP could be directly linked to the massive increase in the dosage of OPV in the name of eradication. Of course, we never hear this news in the US mainstream media.
[url="http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/rise-in-paralysis-cases-after-polio-vaccine-deccan-chronicle/#.U5BfDhEU_IU"]47,500 paralysis cases

First off, this "article" that allegedly proves these claims is about as weak a piece of journalism as I have ever seen, especially since it doesn't exist. The website that supposedly summarizes this article uses words like co-relation and then does not produce one iota of evidence to support its claims.

Secondly, at the bottom of the website it says "read article" and then it only takes me here:
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/local...io-vaccine-234
There is no article! It's just the paper's home page. Maybe this website is actually the one with a diabolical plot, especially if it provides ZERO evidence. Matter of fact, some of the links it provides actually support immunization and do not support what it claims.
http://www.nature.com/news/india-on-...t-month-1.9771

Thirdly, even if it did, this "article" better provide some hard evidence to support such strong claims and not just quoting some supposed doctor as saying there seems to be a correlation.

Fourthly, if this was true then wouldn't this supposed paralysis from the polio vaccine be prevelent in the rest of the world too, including our own country since we have immunized most children in the US against polio? Where are all these cases?

Lastly, what exactly do you think the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation along with Rotary International have to gain from such a supposed nefarious plot to immunize children against polio? Maybe one of the richest men in the world wants to destroy humanity just for kicks? Maybe he wants to create some sort of cyborgs that can be enslaved one day? Maybe Rotary International after 100 years of promoting "service above self" now really wants to hurt people instead of helping them? If you are going to speculate about these organizations supposed evil intentions you better carry the whole thought through and tell us exactly why and what hard proof you have that they are really trying to harm the world. Otherwise, promoting hysteria based on the weakest of evidence is the height of arrogance.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-05-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Since my own children are now adults, I was shocked that they now shoot up newborns with vaccines before they even leave the hospital: Hepatitis, ABC, XYZ?
[URL="http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-new-dad/newborn-basics/articles/vaccinations-what-baby-will-need.aspx?MsdVisit=1"]Vaccinations: What Baby Will Need - New Parent - Newborn Basics[/URL]

My SIL refused to have his newborn son vaccinated against Hepatitis when he was less than 2 days old. ANOTHER at a month old? These babies cannot digest solid food yet, but they get these chemicals put into them at BIRTH?????? Crazy. My husband's doctor told him he needs this vax too. "I am not a IV drug user, know anyone who is, or frequent hookers". I suppose his doctor should drop him as a patient for refusing any vax? Or only peditricians should do that?

I am flying on a plane in a couple of days. Do you know if the adult sitting next to you on your flight has had all their vax and boosters? How do you propose to police adults on planes, restaurants, etc. Maybe you can make little children your guinea pig and keep them from public schools, but what is your "ulitimate solution" for adults? Vax papers, citizen?

Better put on your masks, gowns, and gloves whenever you go out into society. You will never get the compliance you seek with your sheep immunity.
The reasoning behind the birth dose of hepatitis b vaccine is as a safeguard for babies whose mothers may have not been tested during pregnancy (or received false-negative test results), or those who may have contracted hep b during pregnancy, whether through lifestyle or occupational exposure. While children of hep b negative mothers are generally at low risk of contracting the disease, the prognosis for an infant or child who contracts it is extremely serious.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
First off, this "article" that allegedly proves these claims is about as weak a piece of journalism as I have ever seen, especially since it doesn't exist. The website that supposedly summarizes this article uses words like co-relation and then does not produce one iota of evidence to support its claims.

Secondly, at the bottom of the website it says "read article" and then it only takes me here:
Cities | Deccan Chronicle
There is no article! It's just the paper's home page. Maybe this website is actually the one with a diabolical plot, especially if it provides ZERO evidence.

Thirdly, even if it did, this "article" better provide some hard evidence to support such strong claims and not just quoting some supposed doctor as saying there seems to be a correlation.
My apologies for not linking a better source. This one is much better. http://www.issuesinmedicalethics.org.../view/110/1065

Quote:
Fourthly, if this was true then wouldn't this supposed paralysis from the polio vaccine be prevelent in the rest of the world too, including our own country since we have immunized most children in the US against polio? Where are all these cases?
You do realize that they do not use the same vaccine in India as they do in the US and not in the same amounts. In India they used the oral polio vaccine which has not been in use in the US for decades. One of the problems with the oral polio virus is that the virus from the vaccine is shed from the body via fecal matter. Considering India's problem with raw sewage and open defecation, It seems likely that polio will not remain "eradicated" in India for long. There is not even a consensus among scientist that it is even possible to fully eradicate polio.

Quote:
Lastly, what exactly do you think the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation along with Rotary International have to gain from such a supposed nefarious plot to immunize children against polio? Maybe one of the richest men in the world wants to destroy humanity just for kicks? Maybe he wants to create some sort of cyborgs that can be enslaved one day? Maybe Rotary International after 100 years of promoting "service above self" now really wants to hurt people instead of helping them? If you are going to speculate about these organizations supposed evil intentions you better carry the whole thought through and tell us exactly why and what hard proof you have that they are really trying to harm the world. Otherwise, promoting hysteria based on the weakest of evidence is the height of arrogance.
That would be for another discussion, maybe for another day. I'm afraid we would veer way too far off topic if we delved into this too much. I've already posted a few pieces of evidence as to why I feel the way I do and I will leave it at that.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Regarding OPV... it's worth a read.

Time for a Worldwide Shift from Oral Polio Vaccine to Inactivated Polio Vaccine

http://www.webmd.com/children/vaccin...io-vaccine-ipv

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Regarding OPV... it's worth a read.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm just going to pull a couple of quotes from the first link to highlight them as they are related to my post regarding eradication, paralysis and shedding.

Quote:
A major concern about OPV is its ability to revert to a form that can cause paralysis. Outbreaks of vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis (VAPP) have been reported in many countries of the world [2, 4]. <snip>The above observations suggest that OPV has lost its effectiveness in providing herd immunity. It seems that children are getting polio from OPV, and it also seems that OPV is proving to be ineffective in stopping polio transmission from another source.
This is the vaccine used in India as well as other countries outside of the US.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
I wonder why they chose OPV when IPV is and was available. Perhaps it's less expensive?

Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing this. I'm just going to pull a couple of quotes from the first link to highlight them as they are related to my post regarding eradication, paralysis and shedding.

This is the vaccine used in India as well as other countries outside of the US.
I haven't had a chance to read the whole article yet but since the title of the link you provided is basically called switching from one vaccine to another vaccine then you have just debunked your own assertion against vaccination.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-05-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM

Why OPV is used during outbreaks and in polio endemic areas: [url=http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention/Thevaccines/Oralpoliovaccine%28OPV%29.aspx]Global Polio Eradication Initiative > Polio and prevention > The vaccines > Oral polio vaccine (OPV)[/url]

Why IPV is used in areas where polio has been eradicated: [url=http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention/Thevaccines/Inactivatedpoliovaccine%28IPV%29.aspx]Global Polio Eradication Initiative > Polio and prevention > The vaccines > Inactivated polio vaccine (IPV)[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I wonder why they chose OPV when IPV is and was available. Perhaps it's less expensive?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
How is getting a vaccine when you're an infinite a sign that you are afraid of death? If anything it seems like you're the one who is afraid of a shot (literally).
Me? I choose to not go to doctors at all and haven't in 30 years. Vaccines are only part of it. When it's my time to go, I will die. At 65 years old, it could be tomorrow. I can accept that. I don't want to be "saved". My choice and nobody elses.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You do realize that they do not use the same vaccine in India as they do in the US and not in the same amounts. In India they used the oral polio vaccine which has not been in use in the US for decades. One of the problems with the oral polio virus is that the virus from the vaccine is shed from the body via fecal matter. Considering India's problem with raw sewage and open defecation, It seems likely that polio will not remain "eradicated" in India for long. There is not even a consensus among scientist that it is even possible to fully eradicate polio.
The OPV actually puts poor sanitary conditions to an advantage because the shed vaccine viruses spread to close contacts of the vaccinees. The attenuated viruses are too weak to cause infection, but are able to create an immune response in those exposed to it. OPV creates a herd effect that IPV cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates