Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Ha, I've just been off researching and came back to say 'look, I found these devices, a pressure pad shotblocker and a buzzy thing!' HPV is a 3 dose course (I haven't quite got round to mentioning that to Son yet...) so perhaps I could interest him in a field trial of both of these, and EMLA cream, to see what works best for him going forward.
That would be great and deserving of its own thread. Since it's not just for kids, maybe start a thread in Health & Wellness?

Also, plan on having him use some other distraction, either music though earphones or a game on a laptop.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM

351 posts, read 693,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Children who get the chicken pox vaccine are also at risk for shingles later on. The chicken pox vaccine offers temporary immunity while catching the actual chicken pox offers lifetime immunity. Both open up the a person up for the possibility of shingles later in life.

Prior to the advent of the chicken pox vaccine, almost everyone got the chicken pox as children, a small percentage got it as adults. 99% of kids who got chicken pox had no complications. Children having chicken pox served an important role in warding off shingles in the community. Post chicken pox, people's natural immunity would get asymptomatically "boosted" by coming into contact with children infected with chicken pox. This "boosting" of natural immunity to chickenpox helped protect people from getting shingles later in life. Now people have to rely on getting multiple vaccines for both chicken pox and shingles.

Chicken pox is becoming rarer and rarer so adults are no longer getting the boost to their immune systems from coming into contact with children recovering from chicken pox. Many speculate that we will see a rise in shingles cases due to this fact. I actually think the chicken pox vaccine has caused more harm then good and I wish people would rethink this.

I didn't read any responses to this so I may be repeating someone else, so excuse me for that.

That is THEE most ridiculous excuse not to get the chicken pox vaccine I have ever heard. Sure it wears out. Get it again. We have to get a few vaccines over and over again due to them wearing out or being updated. We are expected to get the flu vaccine every year because it's updated yearly. We get the tetanus shot every 10 years. We are supposed to anyway. The chicken pox vaccine only lasts 15 years. Like the tetanus shot, get it again. If an adult catches chicken pox it can be a VERY bad thing for them. It hits adults MUCH worse than kids. If a kid gets the chicken pox and comes near or in contact with an adult who never got the chicken pox and also never got vaccinated. That adult is at risk of getting a very very high fever, rashes, permanent scars, among other possible problems. Shingles is more of a pain in the butt, but that too can be a big problem for some people. It can be very painful and it will continue to return throughout the rest of the person's life. The reason why chicken pox has become less of an issue is because more and more people are getting the vaccine especially for their kids. Also fewer people are doing the chicken pox parties in order to get their kids sick thinking they are making them immune to future outbreaks of chicken pox. Thank goodness that type of party is no longer popular! Once you've had the chicken pox, getting the vaccine is not really necessary. If you've never had the chicken pox, then you should get vaccinated, if not for your protection, but for others.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
I didn't read any responses to this so I may be repeating someone else, so excuse me for that.

That is THEE most ridiculous excuse not to get the chicken pox vaccine I have ever heard. Sure it wears out. Get it again. We have to get a few vaccines over and over again due to them wearing out or being updated. We are expected to get the flu vaccine every year because it's updated yearly. We get the tetanus shot every 10 years. We are supposed to anyway. The chicken pox vaccine only lasts 15 years. Like the tetanus shot, get it again. If an adult catches chicken pox it can be a VERY bad thing for them. It hits adults MUCH worse than kids. If a kid gets the chicken pox and comes near or in contact with an adult who never got the chicken pox and also never got vaccinated. That adult is at risk of getting a very very high fever, rashes, permanent scars, among other possible problems. Shingles is more of a pain in the butt, but that too can be a big problem for some people. It can be very painful and it will continue to return throughout the rest of the person's life. The reason why chicken pox has become less of an issue is because more and more people are getting the vaccine especially for their kids. Also fewer people are doing the chicken pox parties in order to get their kids sick thinking they are making them immune to future outbreaks of chicken pox. Thank goodness that type of party is no longer popular! Once you've had the chicken pox, getting the vaccine is not really necessary. If you've never had the chicken pox, then you should get vaccinated, if not for your protection, but for others.
I hate to be critical of anyone agreeing with immunizations, but that's not quite right about the chickenpox vaccine. You are supposed to get two doses at least 3 months apart if under 13. The second dose was instituted in 2006. Interestingly, a second dose had always been recommended for adults over 13.
Second Dose of Vaccine Cuts Chickenpox Cases Even More, Study Finds
The American Academy of Pediatrics says that chickenpox vaccine lasts at least 20 years.
Chicken Pox Immunity: How Long It Lasts - HealthyChildren.org

I do agree with everything else you said. In the future, another booster may be recommended, but for now, it is not.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 PM

301 posts, read 295,728 times
Katiana – Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% that vaccinations should be required. If I were king, everyone would be required to be vaccinated and there would be no religious or personal exemptions. It is funny that laws are created that force us to wear our seat belts where most likely you are only going to hurt yourself if involved in an accident, and you certainly can't get an exemption to leave your child out of a safety seat yet you can get an exemption for vaccines where you are likely to take many other people down if you become ill with some of these deadly diseases.

About vaccines with immune disorders – people with primary immune disorders, especially certain kinds do not get any benefit from vaccines. I know this because I have one. I do not make any antibodies whatsoever in any of the 5 classes (IgG, IgM, IgA, IgD, IgE ) nor any of the subclasses. People with Common Variable Immune Deficiency or Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disorders.

The reason that I would not be surprised if there is an Autism link is because 1) There are many many studies linking Autism to autoimmune disorders (of which CVID and SCID are) and 2) Getting vaccines with an autoimmune disorder can cause inflammation in weird places and cause cascade effects of autoimmune disorders. There has never been a study stating people with certain autoimmune disorders should be vaccinated. It does zero good as the body can't make antibodies which is the whole purpose of immunizations, and it can do great deal of harm.

Now... the number of people with immune system disorders that are severe enough not to be vaccinated is less than 1 in 100,000 (and it is actually much higher in children, but I can't find sources, I believe it was on the order of 1 in 300,000) For example, my kids all have immune disorders and suffer from low antibody counts, but are encouraged to be vaccinated. It is only a factor in the severe cases. That was the point I was bringing up.

Anyway, it just amazes me that people trust Hollywood celebrities and fringe non-peer reviewed science papers for their vaccination logic. Would you want one of them to design your cell phone or be your surgeon? If not, then why believe their observations about vaccines. Jenny McCarty said that getting vaccinated is about as helpful as having front brakes on a car. (Well, actually she was right... because the front braked do almost all the work, but she was trying to make a point that front brakes aren't needed). I mean it is not like Playboy payed her for her brains.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Can we discuss a different vaccination, since there seem to be a lot of usefully informed people here?

It's the newish one for HPV, to prevent cervical cancer. I have a 10 yr old girl, and she will 'automatically' be getting it soon, as per the recommendations (both in the US and UK ).

Recently, however, it's been reported that HPV is the cause of oral cancers in men (and perhaps women..? Dunno). And it's been suggested that teen boys should get it too, partly as a herd immunity prevention measure to protect their future partners, and partly to help prevent them getting future oral cancers. So I'm strongly considering getting this for my 14 yr old son* The only thing making me hesitate is that he's HUGELY needle-phobic (goes pale and clammy, swoons, on verge of throwing up, has to lay down for some time afterwards so as not to pass out, etc) so we have a deal that he only has to have really important life-saving injections, not more optional ones like annual flu jabs.

Does anyone here have an opinion on HPV for boys, as well as girls?

*no, it's not already too late, if anyone was wondering. Unless, that is, HPV is transmittable via Skype and multiplayer gaming, as that's what constitutes most of his social life!
All I know is my Ob-Gyn had her teenage son vaccinated for HPV, so I took that as an endorsement.

My 15-year-old daughter completed the series in January with no ill effects at all.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post
Katiana – Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% that vaccinations should be required. If I were king, everyone would be required to be vaccinated and there would be no religious or personal exemptions. It is funny that laws are created that force us to wear our seat belts where most likely you are only going to hurt yourself if involved in an accident, and you certainly can't get an exemption to leave your child out of a safety seat yet you can get an exemption for vaccines where you are likely to take many other people down if you become ill with some of these deadly diseases.

About vaccines with immune disorders – people with primary immune disorders, especially certain kinds do not get any benefit from vaccines. I know this because I have one. I do not make any antibodies whatsoever in any of the 5 classes (IgG, IgM, IgA, IgD, IgE ) nor any of the subclasses. People with Common Variable Immune Deficiency or Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disorders.

The reason that I would not be surprised if there is an Autism link is because 1) There are many many studies linking Autism to autoimmune disorders (of which CVID and SCID are) and 2) Getting vaccines with an autoimmune disorder can cause inflammation in weird places and cause cascade effects of autoimmune disorders. There has never been a study stating people with certain autoimmune disorders should be vaccinated. It does zero good as the body can't make antibodies which is the whole purpose of immunizations, and it can do great deal of harm.

Now... the number of people with immune system disorders that are severe enough not to be vaccinated is less than 1 in 100,000 (and it is actually much higher in children, but I can't find sources, I believe it was on the order of 1 in 300,000) For example, my kids all have immune disorders and suffer from low antibody counts, but are encouraged to be vaccinated. It is only a factor in the severe cases. That was the point I was bringing up.

Anyway, it just amazes me that people trust Hollywood celebrities and fringe non-peer reviewed science papers for their vaccination logic. Would you want one of them to design your cell phone or be your surgeon? If not, then why believe their observations about vaccines. Jenny McCarty said that getting vaccinated is about as helpful as having front brakes on a car. (Well, actually she was right... because the front braked do almost all the work, but she was trying to make a point that front brakes aren't needed). I mean it is not like Playboy payed her for her brains.
Yes, and the reason not immunizing is a public health issue as well as an individual issue is because of people with immune disorders who cannot be vaccinated, yet can get very sick with the diseases.

See this map: http://www.immunize.org/laws/exempti..._june-2014.pdf
The states with the highest immunization rates in the country are those who allow only medical exemptions. I think religious exemptions could be handled on a case-by-case basis. My friend who works in a school healthroom says she has one child with a religious exemption; the rest are "personal belief" exemptions. 93% of immunization exemptions in CO are "personal belief". Colorado's Personal Belief Exemption Target Of New Report | KUNC

Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post

Anyway, it just amazes me that people trust Hollywood celebrities and fringe non-peer reviewed science papers for their vaccination logic. Would you want one of them to design your cell phone or be your surgeon? If not, then why believe their observations about vaccines. Jenny McCarty said that getting vaccinated is about as helpful as having front brakes on a car. (Well, actually she was right... because the front braked do almost all the work, but she was trying to make a point that front brakes aren't needed). I mean it is not like Playboy payed her for her brains
Jenny McCarthy was a teenager in HS when I said enough vax for my own kids. Try again. As far as me myself, I am not afraid of becoming autistic from vax at 65 years old. Although, now that I think about it, maybe all these vax are causing Altzheimers in the older population? Hmmm. Has Dr. Jenny said anything about that one too? Nah, her specialty is just kids, not elderly.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-11-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 AM

^^Actually, since the evidence is becoming more overwhelming that vaccines DON'T cause autism, the anti-vaxers have been focusing on Alzheimer's. I'll let anyone interested look up the links; I'm not going to feed that one.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-11-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Jenny McCarthy was a teenager in HS when I said enough vax for my own kids. Try again. As far as me myself, I am not afraid of becoming autistic from vax at 65 years old. Although, now that I think about it, maybe all these vax are causing Altzheimers in the older population? Hmmm. Has Dr. Jenny said anything about that one too? Nah, her specialty is just kids, not elderly.
Nope, no evidence that vaccines cause Alzheimer's disease. Quite the contrary.

Past exposure to vaccines and subsequent risk of Alzheimer's disease

"Past exposure to vaccines against diphtheria or tetanus, poliomyelitis and influenza may protect against subsequent development of Alzheimer's disease."

Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Actually, since the evidence is becoming more overwhelming that vaccines DON'T cause autism, the anti-vaxers have been focusing on Alzheimer's. I'll let anyone interested look up the links; I'm not going to feed that one.
I just had to comment that she talks about the increasing prevalence of Alzheimer's Disease. Well, there is also an increasing number of elderly people both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the total population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates