Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vaccines do have failure rates. Vaccines are not 100% guaranteed, and no one who prescribes them would claim that. Unvaccinated people do indeed pose a risk to those for whom the vaccine does not work.

Every single dose of every single vaccine is accompanied by a Vaccine Information Sheet:

Vaccine Information Statements: Current VISs - Vaccines - CDC

Anyone who claims his doctor did not tell him the risks of a vaccine probably just tossed the information sheet without reading it.
My husband's doctor did not tell him the risks of any of those vax because my husband just plain refused them based on his life experience and views. As an ADULT he has the right to refuse medical care. Change the LAW if you don't like that. "MY" doctor will never say that to me because I don't have one (for this and other reasons), and don't want "my" own doctor; insurance or no insurance makes no difference to me.

Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-12-2014 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting and as posted

Old 06-12-2014, 05:32 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As I said in my post, I made that off of the top of my head, but I am not a sheep of the CDC, OR Jenny McCarthy. I guess everyone needs to fit into your neat little package of anti-vaxers? Try again, from this OLD woman.
You say this after you were challenged to support your original statement, and you did not in any way let us know at that time that you "made it up."

It is, however, a good example of how such mis-information gets started on the internet.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
The problem is that by not vaccinating you (generic you) are removing choices for others by helping to keep vaccine preventable diseases circulating in the general population. What you are saying is that your right to choose not to vaccinate trumps the right of those who cannot be vaccinated to not be exposed to these diseases.

The vast majority of people who do not vaccinate are not basing their decision on sound reasoning. They fear adverse events that either do not exist or they are unable to weigh the common, sometimes severe risks of the diseases against the very small risks of the vaccines. Every single vaccine we have would not exist if the risks of the vaccine exceeded the risk of the disease. Every single argument against vaccines ultimately collapses into conspiracy theory.
So, you are saying you'd be ok with mandating our country to get vaccinated against (generic you's) will? Or they will serve jail time? All because of your hyper version of danger posed by those few who don't vaccinate?
Pro vax mandate advocates are scarier to me than those who pose any small risk that are unvaccinated.

Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines

I would never vote for such a Moderator cut: against guidelines proposal, it's overkill. Hand out as many pamphlets as you like but jail time or fines would be defeating our system of choice. Not enough of a danger to warrent it.

You can't even prove how many people who don't vaccinate pose any risk to others in this country, it's a guessing game, yet you want to make it a law?
Stop "what ifing" and threatening mandates, and stick to public health advice instead. You people are just as harmful as any anti vaccine group and a lot more dangerous to our freedoms. Educate yourself and others on the positives, stop scaring people. It's ridiculous and won't serve your purpose. You're just driving people away from making healthy choices because of you're scare tactics.

Plenty of people chose to vaccinate in our country:
http://www.americashealthrankings.org/all/immunize

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-12-2014 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband's doctor did not tell him the risks of any of those vax because my husband just plain refused them based on his life experience and views. As an ADULT he has the right to refuse medical care. Change the LAW if you don't like that. "MY" doctor will never say that to me because I don't have one (for this and other reasons), and don't want "my" own doctor; insurance or no insurance makes no difference to me.

You can make the parents of children you pet scapegoats, but you cannot force your precious vax, and medical care, on adults. Round us up and throw us in a ghetto to keep YOU safe from discease ridden "those people". You would have liked living in another century and another country. Your total mindset.
It seems strange to make such a decision with no medical information at all. To each his own, I guess. Uninformed decisions have a propensity to not turn out well.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,289 times
Quote:
Tomljenovic is a chemist, not a physician or immunologist, and just another anti-vax quack.
You didn't read any of the 45 page report from UK?
You have to scroll down to page 3.
http://nsnbc.me/wp-content/uploads/2.../BSEM-2011.pdf

Here's some more info on Medical Secrecy:
Ploy--secrecy

Have you ever done research on vaccine damaged children?
You might find it very enlightening.

Here's an index of vaccine deaths.
Vaccine death articles

If you knew that permanent damage or death was a possible side effect of the vaccine would you still vaccinate your child?

Here's one that says a court ruling confirmed vaccines cause Autism.
Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism

Old 06-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, you are saying you'd be ok with mandating our country to get vaccinated against (generic you's) will? Or they will serve jail time? All because of your hyper version of danger posed by those few who don't vaccinate?
Pro vax mandate advocates are scarier to me than those who pose any small risk that are unvaccinated.

Your fears are unfounded and ridiculous.

I would never vote for such an incredibly stupid proposal, it's overkill. Hand out as many pamphlets as you like but jail time or fines would be defeating our system of choice. Not enough of a danger to warrent it.

You can't even prove how many people who don't vaccinate pose any risk to others in this country, it's a guessing game, yet you want to make it a law?
Stop "what ifing" and threatening mandates, and stick to public health advice instead. You people are just as harmful as any anti vaccine group and a lot more dangerous to our freedoms. Educate yourself and others on the positives, stop scaring people. It's ridiculous and won't serve your purpose. You're just driving people away from making healthy choices because of you're scare tactics.

Plenty of people chose to vaccinate in our country:
Immunization - Children
The point is that if fewer people vaccinate and attempt to "hide in the herd", herd immunity will fail. We are seeing it in other countries and in some areas of the US. It's not "scare tactics," It's stark truth.

I personally doubt that anyone will go to jail for not vaccinating, but our country is lawsuit happy. These days it is possible to trace the initial case in a disease outbreak. If that source is not vaccinated (and the vast majority are not), he did not take a reasonable step that could have prevented his own illness and kept others from being sick. He has to be prepared to accept the consequences, just as someone who drives drunk has to accept his.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,289 times
Quote:
Vaccines do have failure rates. Vaccines are not 100% guaranteed, and no one who prescribes them would claim that. Unvaccinated people do indeed pose a risk to those for whom the vaccine does not work.

Every single dose of every single vaccine is accompanied by a Vaccine Information Sheet:

Vaccine Information Statements: Current VISs - Vaccines - CDC

Anyone who claims his doctor did not tell him the risks of a vaccine probably just tossed the information sheet without reading it.
The problem with that is that they get that Information Sheet AFTER the kids have received the vaccine.
Too Late to change their minds.!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
You didn't read any of the 45 page report from UK?
You have to scroll down to page 3.
http://nsnbc.me/wp-content/uploads/2.../BSEM-2011.pdf

Here's some more info on Medical Secrecy:
Ploy--secrecy

Have you ever done research on vaccine damaged children?
You might find it very enlightening.

Here's an index of vaccine deaths.
Vaccine death articles

If you knew that permanent damage or death was a possible side effect of the vaccine would you still vaccinate your child?

Here's one that says a court ruling confirmed vaccines cause Autism.
Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism
What I see is a long, rambling concoction of quote mining by a conspiracy theorist with no training in biology or vaccines.

Since measles, chickenpox, flu, whooping cough, diphtheria, tetanus, and all the other preventable diseases kill many more people than vaccines, the question is why any rational person would not vaccinate. I'm vaccinated as are DH, our two sons, their wives, and both our grand daughters are vaccinated.

No court has determined that vaccines cause autism. There has been one award to a child with an underlying illness that has similar symptoms to autism. that does not provide any evidence that vaccines cause autism.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
The problem with that is that they get that Information Sheet AFTER the kids have received the vaccine.
Too Late to change their minds.!!!
No, they are given the sheet before the vaccine is administered and are asked if there are any questions.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,606 times
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines Anti-vaxxers are in denial and use the flimsiest pseudoscience to back up their unsupportable claims. Vaccines work, PERIOD. God bless Jonas Salk and every other immunologist who followed in his footsteps for saving millions and millions of lives.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-12-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates