Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,136,457 times

Advertisements

Both are saying: "I am paying you back for what you did to me". Both are saying: "you are getting what you deserve for doing what you did".

So what is the difference?

And why is revenge considered a negative thing, but justice positive even though the action is pretty much the same? Or is it? Maybe I am not thinking of something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,851,865 times
Revenge: inflict hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong done to (someone else)
Justice: fair behavior or treatment.

So their definitions are not the same. Revenge is " You hit me, im going to hit you back" Justice is " You killed that woman so you will go to jail for life"

Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Revenge: inflict hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong done to (someone else)
Justice: fair behavior or treatment.

So their definitions are not the same. Revenge is " You hit me, im going to hit you back" Justice is " You killed that woman so you will go to jail for life"

In other words, revenge is when you personally pay back for the wrong done to you personally.
Justice is when others pay back to that person for doing something wrong to you.

So I guess it's just related to the laws of our society. Our society/laws don't want people to take the matters into their own hands, so therefore the word "revenge" has stigma associated with it. Maybe people believe that it's better when a group decides whether this person is guilty or not. Because when it's one on one, the emotions may make the person judge falsely. So in order to prevent this, it was decided that justice was good (others pay back on your behalf) and revenge was bad (you pay back on your own behalf).

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,292,411 times
Revenge is based on emotion, and can be out of proportion to the damage/pain inflicted. Revenge/vengeance actions are generally performed by people who are somehow emotionally invested in the outcome.

Justice is rules-based, and conducted by an (at least nominally) impartial party. One not emotionally involved in the crime.

So killing someone because they murdered your spouse is revenge. The state executing that person because they murdered your spouse is considered justice. I don't believe in the death penalty, personally, but that's the analogy.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,638,477 times
Sometimes revenge can be justice (just works out that way sometimes), but justice should never be revenge.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM

So I guess it's similar to the principle of killing a person. Killing is good as long as it's done by a group (aka: war or jail executions). But when it's done by one person, it's called "murder" and it becomes a bad thing.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,292,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
So I guess it's similar to the principle of killing a person. Killing is good as long as it's done by a group (aka: war or jail executions). But when it's done by one person, it's called "murder" and it becomes a bad thing.
Not exactly. A group of vigilantes can kill and it would be revenge murder. If the state kills via execution, it is done via a specified process, aka, not murder.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:48 PM

393 posts, read 466,845 times
When someone is punished, whether by the legal system or by a vigilante, and we think the punishment is fair, we call it justice. If we think the punishment was excessive and vindictive, we call it vengeance. It's similar to the difference between terrorism and freedom-fighting--when someone does political violence we don't approve of, it's terrorism, whereas if we do approve of it, it's freedom-fighting.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Not exactly. A group of vigilantes can kill and it would be revenge murder. If the state kills via execution, it is done via a specified process, aka, not murder.
Yes.

It should be a 'group' designated by the law (or by the orders of society). Not just any group.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sometimes revenge can be justice (just works out that way sometimes), but justice should never be revenge.
So I think it means that when a person reacts emotionally, sometimes he is not doing the right thing, but simply something that makes him happy. So in this case, it's not fair (therefore it's revenge which is not justice in a moral sense). But if the person pays back fairly, then it's revenge in a sense of justice (but it has to be called revenge since it was not done by a designated group)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates