Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
po9

6 posts, read 6,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
I care ...
No you don't.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Why do people claim that speeding is a problem when no one on my street goes above the speed limit from 2AM to 2:03 AM?

I demand that you show me evidence that there is speeding.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
It's CLIMATE CHANGE, not 'global warming'. Switch your thinking to calling it climate change rather than calling it global warming.

There is tons of evidence that climate change has been occurring and at a greater rate.

You just need to read more. The evidence is presented in newspapers, in articles, in documentaries, in news reports on TV, in scientific articles.

Storms of all types including hurricanes are stronger, more fierce, more damaging. Parts of the world including New York City are having damage because of rising seas, and parts of world will be covered in water.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's CLIMATE CHANGE, not 'global warming'.
It's actually both.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

So essentially what you're saying is that because 1 more can be added to that sliver based on questionable date choices and a very conveniently truncated graph, 13,926 scientists from 1991 to 2012 were all wrong. Experts in the subject should mostly be ignored because the correct way to interpret things is for a random poster on an internet forum, who likely has 0 PhDs and maybe took a required science class or two back in high school, to hand select which minority study he or she best likes and that is reality.

Welp, I guess there's not explanation for that. You must be right. Score one for the deniers.

(The creator of this figure is James Lawrence Powell. He holds a PhD in Geochemistry and served on the National Science Board under Reagan and Bush-1.0 for 12 years. You can use google if you want his methodolgy)
One really has to be careful giving too much credence to "published" results. There is such a thing as publishing bias that exists in all science, and it basically is that only research that shows results gets published. There may be many articles based on research that didn't get published just because there wasn't a story there. I know this has happened many times in my field and I'm sure it is happening in this instance as well.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
There is no real scientific debate any more about whether climate change is real and substantial. That debate is over. That debate was decided in scientific communities a decade ago, and the consensus opinion is clear... climate change is real, and it's accelerating.

The only place left where there is still substantial debate about this issue is in political circles, and it's well documented that Big Energy interests like the Koch Brothers have financed that political resistance to the scientific facts.

That's why the US Department of Defense has been spending Billion$ on planning and mitigation of the effects of rising seas, rising air and sea temperatures, shifts in storm patterns, etc. because they know they will have to fight wars in the future in a very different physical environment than we all grew up with.

Anybody who doubts that the CO2 level in our atmosphere, which has been steadily rising since the Industrial Age began, can eventually make life uninhabitable on Earth if it rises high enough, should watch the final episode of Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, on the Fox channel and elsewhere. In it he presents the evidence in devastating detail, with visuals anybody can understand, of how serious this issue is for mankind.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-19-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM

684 posts, read 869,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There is no real scientific debate any more about whether climate change is real and substantial. That debate is over. That debate was decided in scientific communities a decade ago, and the consensus opinion is clear... climate change is real, and it's accelerating.

The only place left where there is still substantial debate about this issue is in political circles, and it's well documented that Big Energy interests like the Koch Brothers have financed that political resistance to the scientific facts.

That's why the US Department of Defense has been spending Billion$ on planning and mitigation of the effects of rising seas, rising air and sea temperatures, shifts in storm patterns, etc. because they know they will have to fight in the future in a very different physical environment than we all grew up with.

Anybody who doubts that the CO2 level in our atmosphere, which has been steadily rising since the Industrial Age began, can eventually make life uninhabitable on Earth if it rises high enough, should watch the final episode of Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, on the Fox channel and elsewhere. In it he presents the evidence in devastating detail, with visuals anybody can understand, of how serious this issue is for mankind.
Proof of man-made global warming cannot be found in the aggregate global temperature data. Other than aggregate global temperature data, what highly reliable total global data proves man-made global warming is real?

In other words: where's the beef?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Proof of man-made global warming cannot be found in the aggregate global temperature data. Other than aggregate global temperature data, what highly reliable total global data proves man-made global warming is real?

In other words: where's the beef?
Can't understand thousand year old ice flows disappearing in 50 years? Can't understand disappearing polar ice caps? Like I said... look at the the data concerning the consistent rise in CO2 content in the atmosphere since the beginning of the Industrial Age. It's indisputible. And it's a primary mechanism to raise the atmospheric temperature, the temperature of the seas, and the acidifiation of the oceans.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There is no real scientific debate any more about whether climate change is real and substantial. That debate is over. That debate was decided in scientific communities a decade ago, and the consensus opinion is clear...
But that's not fair, why didn't ordinary folk get to put their 2 cents in to help form this consensus? I'm not sure I trust those scientists, who do they think they are? So annoying, throwing around facts and figures and observations.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Proof of man-made global warming cannot be found in the aggregate global temperature data.
If being pedantic were a virtue, you'd be a saint by now. If your thesis was that even in 2014 it is possible for a person to appear reasonably coherent and yet ignore reams of scientific fact to cling to long-held beliefs, then you hit a home run. But we already knew it was possible, so you're proving nothing new.

What you're really asking for is for somebody to go back in time and create two identical earths, one that develops exactly as our reality has, and the other that saw Homo Sapiens die out and no other intelligent species come along to take over the world and pump a quadrillion tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, and then compare the two earths at the same point in time (2014). And if there's a difference, then you'll finally understand. Failing that, science will never change your mind. And then you'll die. So, I ask you, why would you create this thread? Just why do it?

Do you actually believe you'll convert somebody from a place of understanding to one of ignorance? Why would anyone want to go down that path with you? Or were you just hoping to preach to an increasingly marginalized choir?

I can't even tell if you're denying global long-term average temperature changes exist, or denying the effects of this such as the dwindling northern sea ice, or just denying that humans could possibly have had anything to do with it.

Quote:
where's the beef?
I want you to know, that never gets old.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Cute. But why don't we take a little larger sample size than 40 years. Don't you think it's a little funny that those that believe this junk science (or political bs) will only use small sample sizes, but when you look at recorded history, there's no change.

When you're born and you turn one, you're 100% older. When you're 99 and turn 100, you're 1% older. Same span of 365 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates