Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think 18 makes more sense. There's the old bit "old enough to die for their country in a war abroad, but not old enough to order a lite beer at a family restaurant at home."
Well, let's set aside the fact that no soldier, no matter their age, has ever had a hard time getting a beer if they wanted one..... how about we change the law so that if you are active duty military, you can drink. Then, all of the non-serving civilians who want to use that as an argument for why they should be able to drink will have to come up with something new.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Depends on the state. In my state, PA, we have the strictest and most bizarre liquor laws. For example, if you want liquor or wine you must go to the state store (all liquor stores are owned by the state with certain hours and set prices), if you want a case of beer you must go to the beer distributor, but if you wasn't a six pack you must go to the bar. Nothing is available in gas stations, convenience stores, etc. Also most states have a religious and parental exception to drinking but PA has none.

Back in the 70s and 80s NJs drinking age was 18. My dad said his friends used to all drive over the bridge to NJ (only a thirty min drive tops) and get drunk.

I drank a lot in my teen years but once I turned 21 I stopped completely. Believe me, once you can legally do it then it loses its appeal fast. Plus I hate hangovers. Lol
I also found this map, on the states that do have at home under parental supervision, and other such exemptions to the 21 year old alcohol age(& looks like some of the states that used to have family/parental exemptions, have removed them. yay for IL not doing so, as I've always thought Canada got it right with majority of provinces going with 18 and 19 y/o drinking ages):

https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/....html?tab=maps

Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
I personally don't believe anyone should be barred from consuming a legal product...no need to grab the pitch forks, it is just my opinion.

However, we do live in the dark shadow of the State and the market is regulated.

I would think that even in this silly society of "subjects", that if a "subject" is old enough to die in war, than they are certainly old enough to have a drink...so 18 years of age, as legally an "adult", should have every right that any other adult has...

Old 09-16-2014, 06:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I don't think it should be a yes, or no answer for 18 year olds drinking. I think it should be a gradual ease. For instance I think an 18 year old should be able to drink beer, then at 19 wine, then at 20 liquor or something like that. I also agree with the old enough to die for your Country view however I remember how irresponsible I was at 18 and the thought of myself at 18 being able to buy a handle of whiskey is terrifying lol.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
If you are old enough to make the decision to join the army, you should be old enough to drink IMHO.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
If you're old enough to be "tried as an adult" and put to death for a crime, i think you should also have the right to drink.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
If you are old enough to make the decision to join the army, you should be old enough to drink IMHO.
The ONLY issue I have with this argument is the reason that the military wants kids from the earliest age possible is because theyre still impressionable and can be "brainwashed" for lack of a better term. This virginity of the mind is the exact reason kids cant be trusted with a cart full of liquor. At 18 a kid will believe anything you drill into them (sergeant) and will jump when you say jump. Try sending a 30 year old to boot camp and screaming in their faces, the majority of us would have a much harder time getting into the programmed mindset of a grunt because our cognitive brain has matured and were "set in our ways".

Old 09-17-2014, 03:38 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
I'm all for unifying the age of conscription, marriage, drinking etc. Most of the sane world it is 18. 21 is just crazy and it' not like 16+ don't find ways to drink, or even worse, to experiment with drugs, which are probably more accessible than alcohol.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Yes, the legal drinking age is silly. You are an "adult" by law at eighteen. Now if the law was changed to say you were not an adult until twenty-one, that would make the laws at least consistent.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 9,733 times
I am all for lowering the drinking age, but raise the driving age to 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates