Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 AM

352 posts, read 324,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
not like 12, but I think 18 is reasonable. Me personally, I, in this past year from June '13 to June '14, have had 4 beers, all with my parents. It used to be 18 then someone decided to ruin the fun of being a teenager. You can say " oh well, they can't handle booze at that age. They're immature" You know who's 21? That Miley Cyrus, is she mature? no. If anything leave it up to the parents. My parents know I'm a good kid and know that, if it was 18, I wouldn't be at the bar nightly getting hammered. If your kid is dumb and irresponsible, keep them away from it as best you can. No one magically matures on their 21st birthday, plenty of people of legal age are morons. I was watching that " What would you do" show and 1 episode had 2 soldiers both 20, try to get a beer and they were refused. Really? So you're telling me at 18, I'm allowed to buy a house, get married, buy cigarettes, adopt, get shot at in battle and go to strip clubs. But drinking a beer is a no-no?
I was in the Navy and had just seen the country get attacked on 9/11 (on TV, though my father was scheduled to be on Flight 93 but had cancelled the previous night to schedule two meetings in NYC, including one in the late morning at WTC #2), but since I was 20 years and a month old I couldn't drink a glass of scotch or beer to settle my nerves.

I can be executed for a crime at age 18. Can be tried as an adult at age 18. Can be trusted to elect the president at age 18. Can be trusted to take care of myself at age 18.

So why do I have to wait 3 years to drink?

Plus, who actually had to wait until their 21st birthday for their first drink?
I learned Spanish at age 12 just so me and my buddies could get alcohol: "Hola amigo, mi y mis hermanos queremos cerveza. Tengo veinte dolares, el cambio es para ti" was my first phrase I knew in Spanish. We'd go to the day laborers and one guy would always be willing to help out.

And then anyone who went to a college (aside from places like BYU or Bob Jones University) surely had alcohol flowing the moment they arrived on campus.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I agree with conservative talk show host Mark Belling on this one... the 21 drinking age is silly and stupid...it should be 18.

Im not going to argue why after as this thread has run its course... besides it should be obvious.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 AM

128 posts, read 207,659 times
Ruin the fun, eh? My husband thought it was fun too...and now his liver is failing. Nice huh? 4 drinks can turn into 12 drinks, and so forth...then you will feel the need to drink every day to "relieve stress"..and lets not forget the idiots who can't even handle it who are on the road drinking and driving now. no age is a "Smart age" to drink.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
insurance.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Im not going to argue why after as this thread has run its course... besides it should be obvious.

Agreed - the same arguments are just cycling through now. Time to put this thread to bed.

Closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates