Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

I think any diet can be done wrong. Just look at the sheer number of people who do fast food. And I wouldn't call that a meat eating diet, but a crapola diet.

I do give my daughter meat, but our preference is local, grass fed, hormone free. Not factory farmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Its amazing how many people are into these food fetishes today...vegan, vegetarian,etc, etc.

If you want to eat like that, fine, its your life but these people have bevome so self righteous.
Food fetishes that have been around for years & years. Yeah, that's not a fetish. I wouldn't call them self-righteous. I would say they're more informed than the average person. Perhaps you're just feeling defensive about eating meat? Who knows. I do however recommend watching a few documentaries, Food, Inc. being first & foremost. They're very informative. I quit eating meat after thinking about it for awhile, watching that doc sealed my decision. It's not that hard to do however you should research & prepare ahead of time so you don't fall into a food rut. I don't care if someone eats meat, however it's pretty tiresome having people exclaim "You don't eat meat??? Why not?????" like it's completely foreign to them.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Food fetishes that have been around for years & years. Yeah, that's not a fetish. I wouldn't call them self-righteous. I would say they're more informed than the average person. Perhaps you're just feeling defensive about eating meat? Who knows. I do however recommend watching a few documentaries, Food, Inc. being first & foremost. They're very informative. I quit eating meat after thinking about it for awhile, watching that doc sealed my decision. It's not that hard to do however you should research & prepare ahead of time so you don't fall into a food rut. I don't care if someone eats meat, however it's pretty tiresome having people exclaim "You don't eat meat??? Why not?????" like it's completely foreign to them.
But a lot of them are self righteous. I guess it depends on where you live at and who you are exposed to. I live in Los Angeles and the food fads here can be over the top. No, not everyone is like that. But a lot are. Its to the point where I look forward to eating at some of the "lower income" places simply because they are devoid of all the food related self righteousness.

Here in L.A. one will rarely be badgered for not eating meat. Its actually the other way around in certain neighborhoods here.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
But a lot of them are self righteous. I guess it depends on where you live at and who you are exposed to. I live in Los Angeles and the food fads here can be over the top. No, not everyone is like that. But a lot are. Its to the point where I look forward to eating at some of the "lower income" places simply because they are devoid of all the food related self righteousness.

Here in L.A. one will rarely be badgered for not eating meat. Its actually the other way around in certain neighborhoods here.
You mean like "I'll take the chorizo, egg and cheese burrito." "Chorizo, eh? You should really watch Food, Inc. Namaste."

In all seriousness, I have family members that are long-term vegans and they seem healthy and happy enough... But they REALLY get bent out of shape over hunting and fishing; sometimes beyond the point of being unreasonable, IMO. That said, we get along just fine. I get along just fine with my family members that have very different political ideology as well, there are just topics that we leave undiscussed in order to maintain a fun atmosphere.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,786 times
This mother is simply nuts... has nothing to do with being a vegan. Soy formula has been around for a long time and is nothing new; some infants have problems digesting cow's milk.

Something like 40 percent of the population of India is vegetarian, with a significant percentage of that being vegan. You don't see them dropping like flies. People do not need meat as long as their diet is carefully planned.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
This mother is simply nuts... has nothing to do with being a vegan. Soy formula has been around for a long time and is nothing new; some infants have problems digesting cow's milk.

Something like 40 percent of the population of India is vegetarian, with a significant percentage of that being vegan. You don't see them dropping like flies. People do not need meat as long as their diet is carefully planned.
My brother had to be on a soy formula when he was a baby. My mother couldn't breastfeed, and he couldn't tolerate cow's milk. He will be 45 years old in July, so yes, soy formula has been around for quite a while!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Maybe. Until about 10,000 years ago humans were probably obligate predators. The domestication of grains, legumes, greens and fruit was a pretty huge development and, until then, there just weren't any local ecosystems that would support any number of humans through four seasons without killing heterotrophic organisms to eat.
Are you serious? You think humans evolved the ability to eat grains and fruit 10,000 years ago?

Humans have been foraging for the majority of their diet since Homo erectus some 2 millions years ago. If anything the need for dietary vitamin C and a haustrated colon suggest a more herbivorous primate origin for our diets as opposed to carnivorous. Additionally, prior to that 10k mark, many if not most human populations were primarily tropical in location, meaning they had year round access to a variety of WILD fruits, plants, grains, etc.

Make no mistake, much of this gathering, was also protein targeted (insects, eggs, etc.) but you are so far off base with your timeline as to be laughable.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Maybe. Until about 10,000 years ago humans were probably obligate predators. The domestication of grains, legumes, greens and fruit was a pretty huge development and, until then, there just weren't any local ecosystems that would support any number of humans through four seasons without killing heterotrophic organisms to eat.
I highly doubt we started out as preditors due to our lack of speed and our lacking of a set of true carnivore teeth. Our teeth are most like chimps, their diet is primarily vegitarian. Most protien is provided by eating insects. We were hunters yes, but we were also gatherers, and not sedentary either. Early man went were the food was and the food most accessible and easy to obtain was mainly from some sort of vegetation. What could be found was collected, as much as could be carried I would imagine.
I feel pretty confident that the nomadic people along the Nile were eating marshmellow and the natives in the US were eating acorns and in Asia, everyone was eating rice.
These things did not have to be domesticated to be harvested.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I agree, something else was going on. a 12 day old baby is only feeding on breast milk. At least mine were, and nothing else. Until I had to go back to work and they supplemented with formula.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Wrong, humans are omnivores, children should have a diet that allows them to grow as they should, what is best for an adult(what they think is best), isn't always best for children, especially an infant. They need formula, and milk, vegetables, meat, all essential to making a strong child. Soybeans, fruits, veggies, and almonds just aren't going to cut it. Veganism is a lifestyle choice, much like religion, should be decided by themselves once old enough. You really can't just do whatever you want to a child.
I agree with a lot of what you said except the meats. Humans can and have survived fine without eating meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates