Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM

291 posts, read 392,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
I have my beefs with executive pay, but have you considered that she/he also takes on greater responsibility and risk?

This line of argument quickly devolves down to the notion that there should be some kind of cap on what people earn. Once we go there, we are essentially at "...to each according to their needs...".
What is the risk they take on?

They are at no greater risk than their employees. If they fail, they go bankrupt. Just like a regular guy. There's no death penalty for CEOs. In Japan, they kill themselves when shamed, but our society has no shame--from top to bottom, actually, but not among CEOs, certainly.

And this is not a slippery slope towards salary caps. It is an argument for payment for work done rather than extortion, which is the case currently. I am saying they didn't earn the money, so why give it to them?

I know why. It's called extortion.

"My associates and I own bazillions of acres of land and we sit on piles of capital that you need*. If you don't let me continue to take a cut, I will cut off your access to that capital which is needed for the continued production of goods and services, and thus, profit. So pay me what I say."

*"We got this in large part as spoils of a few major wars and occupations, during which we taxed people to pay for our own industrial projects and took over huge tracts of natural resources, which we could do because we had a bit of capital at a time when many had none, so we got elected."

The entire bailout was due to extortion. "Too big to fail," "Don't burn your bridges," they said. In other words, though we did poorly and should be fired, you have to give us money or we will cut off your access to capital. And since the capital is so centralized, they can do this.

This is not a free market. It is truly a plutocracy. A free market would not allow you to use capital to buy other types of power, such as political power, which would then limit the market's freedom.

But that is what has happened: we have allowed people to amass wealth (on the heads of Indians, by the way, not earned but taken--acre by acre, dead Indian by dead Indian, slave by slave, that is not earned capital, that is theft) and then use it to stop the free market.

I said in my post specifically that I'm opposed to distribution by need. So your argument does not address my point, which is that CEO and other executive pay and corporate distribution of profits is not "unfair"--it is unjust. Unfair implies that one has more than the other, but sometimes life is unfair.

Unjust implies that someone has wronged another. And that is what is happening here.

People have used extortion to demand higher and higher salaries that go above their contribution to the profitability of the enterprise.

That is what I oppose.

And this highlights a key difference between them and people who have actual talent. Let's take athletes because I'm pretty convinced that the highest paid entertainers are not the most talented artists. In fact I'm almost positive. Most sports require an intelligence combined with physical prowess that is extremely rare. And indeed, we do see continued improvement in athleticism coming from the athletes themselves.

Contrast this with CEO pay--my partner has a patent to his name and I have one, and we both make jack bunny, whereas the CEO of his company does not have an individual patent to his name but makes way, way, oh god so much more than us. The workers who cannot bargain face two challenges. First, as a worker, they need food, shelter, and clothing, which are running out as we speak (we are talking about renters with children) whereas the CEO needs nothing compared to the amount of wealth they are sitting on.

So the workers'/producers' bargaining power is limited: they cannot walk away from an offer. Athletes and new actors/singers are actually in this situation with the "regular people" at first. The CEO can continue selling an inferior product (in fact I'm 100% sure that Comcast does so on purpose, i.e. no pay per view on the Internet for sports, just as one example of how they could provide better service for less) because there's no competition for improvement. So he can say, "No thanks, don't need your great analytics / IT skills. My customers have to deal with me no matter what since I already bought the lawmaker who will prevent competition."

With sports it's somewhat different because the competition is built into the business model. They need the best athletes to get ratings. They can't all go ho-hum because the game stops improving. So I'm actually kind of okay with celebrity athletes though I do think a salary cap is a good think to keep the game evolving and support new talent. Still you could say that a player is playing 20 times better than the janitor could, or even 1,000 times better.

With mass media performing arts, there is yet a different force at work, which is that people want to look at pretty young things. And youth fades. So they always need to find the next big thing, the zeitgeist. Madonna's over, Britney's here. Britney's pregnant, Lady Gaga's here. So the youth demand their money while they can. This model, however, is fading now that media is fragmenting to some extent. That's very important because it shows that it is the lack of competition that causes centralization of power and wealth-- not some amazing centralization of talent, effort, and time put in.

Sure there are differences between talent, effort, and time, but they don't end up in 1,000 or 2,000 times the pay for a CEO and a working person.

Now let's look at what the CEO contributes to the company that could possibly justify his wages.

There are some CEOs, incidentally, who I find quite compelling.

Starbucks comes to mind. I worked at Starbucks and I hated it. I also was bad at my job, make a mistake with the till, and got fired, and I deserved it. I cried, because I was sad, but I didn't complain, and I learned my lesson, which was that I'm somewhat dyslexic and I shouldn't be working with numbers when I can't check my work. I thank Starbucks for the opportunity.

Howard Schultz deserves quite a lot of money, in my opinion. First of all, he has offered cheap stocks to associates since Starbucks started. He started with a cafe and turned it into a business. Not the world's best coffee, and many don't like how they operate, but he worked within the law and he achieved his goals. He also spread the wealth around, paying up to $2 more than the minimum wage even in the places in the country with the highest minimum wages. He is always looking to reward the people who make and serve the coffee with the fruits of their labor. He's not giving charity but recognizing that without the people to pick, roast and serve the coffee, he has nothing.

I am not opposed to Schultz being wealthy. I think he deserves it. What I am opposed to is the way the profit is divided between people working 6.5 hours per day (because Starbucks keeps them at part-time) and people like him who are probably working much more, and who take greater risks, but probably not a thousand times more effectively than their workers. Schultz earned, in salary only (this does not includes stocks, let him keep his stocks), over $21m. Assuming a 60-hour week with only two weeks of vacation per year, this is about 950 times more per hour than the people who serve the coffee.

I will not even start on how much the people who produce the coffee make. And speaking of risks, it is the coffee producers, without a doubt, that have the greatest risk in this game. Schultz, who does a great job organizing and marketing the product, is making about a million times more (if you include his stocks) in some cases than those who grow and pick the coffee he sells.

http://www.fews.net/sites/default/fi...14_02_en_0.pdf

The average Ethiopian coffee farmer earns $900 cash / year.

The World Food Program is feeding the workers of coffee magnates. These farmers take on huge risks. Where are their bonuses when they produce a lot? There is no bonus: only extremely rich people saying, "Well, you guys all improved your production method and had a good year we get to choose from whom to buy, so you get less money."

Does that seem just to you?

Demanding a wage that depends on the production of one's labor is not begging. It is free trade and should be respected as such.

Last edited by MmeZeeZee; 07-15-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM

179 posts, read 248,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Marx had his solution. So did Schumpeter.

I'm afraid there are no simple answers.
Exactly, the original question was "should it be addressed" which I take to mean "acted upon." If you take action, you have an answer (right ot wrong.) so I don't get the point of merely restating the problem no matter how well done it was.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
And, if one argues about CEO vs Joe, what about Sports/Movie/Rock Star vs Joe pay differential?

This line of argument quickly devolves down to the notion that there should be some kind of cap on what people earn. Once we go there, we are essentially at "...to each according to their needs...".
Rock stars, athletes and movie stars also get more hot chicks than the Average Joe. The government needs to step in and spread around the hot chicks.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Rock stars, athletes and movie stars also get more hot chicks than the Average Joe. The government needs to step in and spread around the hot chicks.
I get the joke. You want a hot chick government handout (assuming you are not already married to the most beautiful woman in the world).

But seriously, can we stop acting like employees are beggars? Employees are the ones producing the wealth.

We are talking about people who are working full-time jobs and producing the goods which are creating profitability.

They deserve a fair share of the wealth they are producing.

It doesn't take 1,000 times more talent to read graphs of profits and production and assess a product's worth. It just doesn't. I know because I've done it. That inflated salary is due to the individual in question's power to withhold basic needs from the other negotiating party (the wage earner). It is not due to increased productivity.

Please stop pretending this is about poor people asking for handouts.

It is about the people who make the stuff asking to be paid for their work. Starbucks annual NET profits, divided evenly between their workers, would be giving people a median salary of $80,000 on top of their wages.

This is not someone sitting on their butt asking for money for "equality".

This is a question of employees sharing in the wealth they create through their work.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
Exactly, the original question was "should it be addressed" which I take to mean "acted upon." If you take action, you have an answer (right ot wrong.) so I don't get the point of merely restating the problem no matter how well done it was.
Another good point. Here's my take.

A second question was also asked: "Do we even have a problem?" The second question needed to be answered first because it would be pointless to derive a plan to address something that doesn't exist. Its been answered in the affirmative, and pretty well.

Now, "should it be addressed?" The answer you choose will depend on your position in the earnings/wealth continuum. If you're in the top ten percent (who collectively take in half the nation's annual income), your answer would probably be "no." If you're in the bottom ninety percent, your answer would probably be "yes." Because my wife and I are in the bottom ninety percent, we answer in the affirmative -- not so much for us, but for our grandchildren.

I do not yet know how to address it (but I'm working on it). I only know that it must be addressed. I'd greatly prefer that our grandchildren inherited a strong and robust economy/society from my generation, instead of one that strongly resembles those in the Third World. You see, if things don't change pretty soon, that's exactly where we're headed...

-- Nighteyes

Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
By the way, I've just noticed something. Here on this thread, and on several others, the term in use is "Income Inequality" rather than the proper term, "Income Inequity." They are NOT synonymous.

Let's do our part to ensure that the conversations/debates don't get sidetracked onto that, because if it does I'm afraid we're all doomed. I'm not at all sure which group is more dangerous -- those of us who don't know the difference, or those of us who DO know the difference and fail to make the needed correction.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
They deserve a fair share of the wealth they are producing.
Well, what is a fair share? How much should the following positions be paid in the New York market...

Mailroom Clerk
Receptionist
Secretary
Senior Associate
Partner
Managing Partner

Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
The Gov. is taking steps. There is a WAR being raged on the middle class and the latest battle is with all these illegal immigrant kids being dropped all over the country. How many of these "kids" will grow up to be contributing members of society and how many will remain on the doles of welfare their entire lives?
Why are so many "middle class" programs like social security, the VA, medicare always on the cusp of running out of money while welfare and free handouts are on the rise for the loafers? Ok some folks really do need a helping hand but most take advantage of it.
Middle class jobs are drying up and we are all trying to do more with less meanwhile our Gov. is telling us it will be OK.
I am seriously concerned for the future of this country and the path it is on and No one seems to have any answers.
The rich will always be rich but more and more the middle class is slipping into lower class.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,227 times
This is an extremely interesting thread that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Not necessarily because of the topic but because it is so rare to find folks with different backgrounds and opinions coming together and having an intelligent conversation without beating each other up due to those differing opinions. It's very refreshing to see for a change. The topic is an excellent one too. Carry on my friends.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM

792 posts, read 634,677 times
I'm a young idealist; I would certainly like to overhaul the whole federal budget, raise taxes on the rich, make capital gains tax rates equal to income tax rates, and spend that money on research, improving people's lives, and education instead of blowing stuff up.

But I realize that with the political climate now, it'll take 50-100 years for America to get with the rest of Western Europe.

So, I have one simple proposal:

Raise the top 3 brackets' tax rates by 3%; tax capital gains as regular income; and cut the defense budget anywhere from 33% to 50%, and devote more of that defense budget on research instead of buying F-35s.

With that money, make college free. Free community and state college. This won't enable lazy people, because those lazy people are going to flunk out. This will enable smart, hardworking people who weren't lucky enough to be born into a family that had money to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates