Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My thought is this: One big issue of why blacks are incarcerated more than whites can be singled out as this. Fatherless homes. The higher number of fatherless homes allows for juvenile gangs to creep in. Couple this with the idolizing of rap music stars which all claim one juvenile gang or another, and you've set the stage for a life of imprisonment. Juvenile gangs get their main source of income from selling drugs. Selling drugs gets you prison terms. The predominant juvenile gangs in this country are black with Hispanic numbers just behind. Do you feel that this has anything to do with blacks being arrested at a higher rate than whites?
That's a factor, but not the cause. If you look at where the gangs are located and the environmental issues that allow them to, let's say prosper, what you will find is safety and poverty are the underlying causes. Many of the guys that join gangs and sell drugs would get a job if they could, but McD's does pay jack, there aren't many jobs where the poor are located, and when they see their role models selling drugs or involved in a gang they are influenced. A fatherless home is definitely a more at risk home to be sure, but it does not cause anyone to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM

323 posts, read 499,469 times
Blacks are a higher percentage of inmates in the prison system population because they commit more crimes. Thats all there is to it. They might have crummer lawyers but they still commited the crimes.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
Blacks are a higher percentage of inmates in the prison system population because they commit more crimes. Thats all there is to it. They might have crummer lawyers but they still commited the crimes.
This thread is about the drug laws. With that said, read post #11. Whites commit more crimes.

http://proxy.baremetal.com/november....sPrisoners.gif

Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,978 times
Absolutely. If the cops sat on the perimeter of the black neighborhoods and exclusively pulled over white guys coming out the numbers would probably even out, but that's not the name of the game...they don't want interrupt the customer flow. It's better to get the black guy slinging rocks because they know 5 more will step up and replace him tommorow, business as usual.

Then you have the profiling going on, on our nations highways. Two white guys traveling on the interstate, must be legit. Two black guys traveling same stretch of highway, they're traffickers. I can't find the hour long video, but I saw one a DC defense lawyer made that got his clients off by staging that exact scenerio. White man goes to rehab, black man goes to prison.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM

667 posts, read 940,295 times
Quote:
: Is the war on drugs really truly racist? Or just a failed government system that needs a huge overhaul? What's your solution?.
So-called 'war on drugs' is a nice business for a lot of officials, therefore feds will newer allow disappearance of drugs or smallest endangering of their additional income .
For a possible solution look to countries where war on drugs was successful. All those punish drug traffic or selling by death sentence, consummation by long time behind bar. Unfortunately there are not other solutions.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
That is simply false. Whites are more likely to use drugs than blacks. Whites are incarcerated less for it. Blacks are incarcerated on petty drug crimes to be "initiated" into the prison system.
That could be true, I don't know. But it is my belief that the reason blacks are arrested more for drugs than whites, even though whites might use drugs more, is because blacks live in high crime areas. They live in places where cops do a lot of patrolling because of crime, drug related or otherwise (much of the "otherwise" is probably a spinoff of drugs, anyway). White neighborhoods are generally free from crime, except drug crime. And if you do drugs in private, don't commit other crimes to support your addiction, cops will generally leave you alone. They have bigger fish to fry.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM

214 posts, read 230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That blacks are not arrested more because of higher usage. For my city, we have about a 30/30/30 split between blacks, whites, and Hispanics, but most of the drug arrests are African American males. The main difference is the blacks in my city have much lower income than whites and it is just easier to target them. As long as I don't do anything ridiculously stupid I can do pretty much anything I want without cops bugging me, but I'm white and live in a wealthy area.

Another influencing factor is violent crime is pretty low in the white areas, so the cops focus on the black areas. At first glance this might just seem proactive and not racist, but if you look at NYC's old stop and frisk policy and resulting arrests you will find blacks getting stopped more often than whites, but whites carried more often than blacks. To summarize, the current drug policy is not necessarily racist, but the application is.

Now if you look back in history then you will find racist motives behind many of our drug laws. Marijuana was seen as a black drug, so the criminalized it. Crack receives a harsher punishment than cocaine or meth, etc.

I don't think marijuana was ever really seen as a black drug. Maybe more like a "jazz musician" or a "beatnik" drug. I don't recall seeing any black faces in the old anti-pot propaganda movie, "Reefer Madness."

Crack does NOT necessarily receive harsher punishment than other drugs. In my state, for example, meth by far warrants stronger penalties, and in fact is in a sort of category of it's own (like they do with gang-related crimes) than all other drugs. Kids are getting five years prison time here for possession of $10 worth of meth.

the vast majority of blacks in prison deserve to be there. Just like all the other races.

The "race card" play grew old and tiresome a long time ago, amigo.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
So-called 'war on drugs' is a nice business for a lot of officials, therefore feds will newer allow disappearance of drugs or smallest endangering of their additional income .
For a possible solution look to countries where war on drugs was successful. All those punish drug traffic or selling by death sentence, consummation by long time behind bar. Unfortunately there are not other solutions.
On the flip side, and more feasible here, I'd say is to ban prohibition of drugs. Tax them, legalize them, and make them "boring" as they have done in Holland.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times
1. Is the war on drugs really truly racist?
2. Or just a failed government system that needs a huge overhaul?
3. What's your solution?

1. NO.
2. Government has over-reached and we have suffered a huge loss of individual liberty.
3. The war is "lost" and has been for decades.
De-criminalize all personal, private drug use.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM

667 posts, read 940,295 times
Quote:
and make them "boring" as they have done in Holland.

'Thanks' to its huge tolerance for any evil Holland has today the birth rate 1.4 among whites and 4.7 among Muslim immigrants . While native Dutch smoke marijuana and use heroin immigrants produce children, are physically sound and are preparing themselves to take over the country within two or three decades.Not free Marijuana, which is the first step to more hard drugs like meth etc. ,but its totally prohibition is necessary in the western world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates