Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 04:42 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times

Advertisements

Amercity, Mexicans are that; Mexicans. Mexican Americans are as American as -I assume- you are. Therefore not illegal. Illegals might be uneducated and poor, but that doesn't equate to their offspring. I think some people don't realize that illegals aren't the main cause of U.S. problems, but the scapegoat.
America will remain strong as long as America once again start making cars, clothing, electrodomestics, you name it. Once American companies start bringing back the jobs from China and Mexico, once people stop shopping at Walmart and more at the local grocery store, and once Americans that are jobless now, will be ok getting a job doing the jobs "only Mexicans do" while they can get something better instead of whining about them.
I'm pretty certain, that it is annoying for many, having to deal with illegals but, have you ever stop to think that if there weren't for companies who profit off low wages hiring these people, these very same people will -and have by now according to the latest data- stop coming to the U.S.

And just to show you that illegals aren't the main cause of the U.S. problems, am going to point places like Detroit, where Mexican population is pretty insignificant yet, the city is bankrupt. On the other hand we have Texas, the U.S. second powerhouse. Cities such as Dallas and Houston are thriving -big time- despite their being hubs for Mexicans in the thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
You'd be surprised to know how many second generation Mexican Americans, do not know how to communicate in Spanish. Is quite common to see parents talking to their children in Spanish, while their offspring answer back in English.

I understand you might be afraid of the U.S. changing, but all changes are good and believe me; Spanish ain't anywhere close to become the lingua Franca in America.
No, all changes aren't good. In regards to the large Spanish speaking population here a lot of it is due to illegal immigration. Is that a good thing?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You don't get it. The vast majority of Mexican Americans, are proud to be Americans -because that's what they are- and their loyalties belong to the U.S. not Mexico. It amazes me how much -or how little- some people really know about Mexican Americans. I assume your ancestors came from another country, yet I don't think you have any genetic predisposition to put your ancestors land before the U.S. Well, is just like that with people of Mexican descent born in America. Sure they may enjoy eating chiles rellenos or party like a rock star every cinco de mayo, but for most is as far as they go. On this side of the border, this very same Mexican Americans you accused of leeching off the system, are view as gringo wannabes who refuse to speak decent Spanish and be -more-proud of their roots.

America's demographics may be changing, but English will prevail no matter who come and go.
Why do so many Mexican-Americans think their ethnic group is above our immigration laws if they are so proud to be Americans? Part of being a good American is to respect our laws and put country first.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, all changes aren't good. In regards to the large Spanish speaking population here a lot of it is due to illegal immigration. Is that a good thing?
In the long run all changes are good. Illegals, how many are they? 10 to 12 millions? They will either return home, die out or -one way or another-assimilate. Sure thee are companies/businesses that carry to them in Spanish, and why not. That's the law of the offer and demand, pure American capitalism. But their children, their children are Americans, born and raised in the U.S. loyal to the union, proud of being citizens of the mos powerful country in the world. Also, don't forget they're the future workforce of the nation.
I imagine californions and tejanos were as scared of you of changes, yet in the long run it was all good for both California and Texas.

Don't be afraid, embrace diversity.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Why do so many Mexican-Americans think their ethnic group is above our immigration laws if they are so proud to be Americans? Part of being a good American is to respect our laws and put country first.
Don't mix Mexicans -people born and raise in Mexico- with Mexican Americans. Mexican Americans haven't broke any law, by being born in America.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Amercity, Mexicans are that; Mexicans. Mexican Americans are as American as -I assume- you are. Therefore not illegal. Illegals might be uneducated and poor, but that doesn't equate to their offspring. I think some people don't realize that illegals aren't the main cause of U.S. problems, but the scapegoat.
America will remain strong as long as America once again start making cars, clothing, electrodomestics, you name it. Once American companies start bringing back the jobs from China and Mexico, once people stop shopping at Walmart and more at the local grocery store, and once Americans that are jobless now, will be ok getting a job doing the jobs "only Mexicans do" while they can get something better instead of whining about them.
I'm pretty certain, that it is annoying for many, having to deal with illegals but, have you ever stop to think that if there weren't for companies who profit off low wages hiring these people, these very same people will -and have by now according to the latest data- stop coming to the U.S.

And just to show you that illegals aren't the main cause of the U.S. problems, am going to point places like Detroit, where Mexican population is pretty insignificant yet, the city is bankrupt. On the other hand we have Texas, the U.S. second powerhouse. Cities such as Dallas and Houston are thriving -big time- despite their being hubs for Mexicans in the thousands.
Our jobs will continue to be outsourced unless our government imposes huge penalties for it. It's not going to happen. So what few jobs remain in the blue collar industry illegals have taken. What's left for Americans? Yes, these greedy employers are guilty but so are the illegals themselves. They have no right to be in this country much less to work here. They aren't the innocents in all of this. No one has dragged them over the border to work. Most of the jobs they have taken are jobs that Americans have always done and would still do for a fair wage.

Spouting the truth isn't scapegoating and having a legitimate complaint about the negative impact that illegal immigration has on our job market and depletion of our taxes is not whining either.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Don't mix Mexicans -people born and raise in Mexico- with Mexican Americans. Mexican Americans haven't broke any law, by being born in America.
Where did I do that? Please re-read my post. I specifically mentioned Mexican-Americans. I made no mention of Mexicans born and raised in Mexico. Who said Mexican-Americans have broken any law? But the fact is that most of them want amnesty for their illegal counterparts and that isn't respecting our immigration laws or putting the needs of our own country and its citizens first.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Our jobs will continue to be outsourced unless our government imposes huge penalties for it. It's not going to happen. So what few jobs remain in the blue collar industry illegals have taken. What's left for Americans? Yes, these greedy employers are guilty but so are the illegals themselves. They have no right to be in this country much less to work here. They aren't the innocents in all of this. No one has dragged them over the border to work. Most of the jobs they have taken are jobs that Americans have always done and would still do for a fair wage.

Spouting the truth isn't scapegoating and having a legitimate complaint about the negative impact that illegal immigration has on our job market and depletion of our taxes is not whining either.
In that case, my best suggestion will be to stop eating at places/to stop shopping at places/to stop hiring companies that recruite illegals over the ones that give jobs to Americans. If you need some yard work done, don't ask Juan or Pedro -who might or might not be illegals- to do the job just to save some dollars, and instead contact Johny or Tim. If all Americans would star doing that, I'm pretty certain that most companies will start hiring Americans again.
Being bitter and whining is not a solution. If you want America to be white and prosperus, America will have work at it and part of the entitlement attitude will have to go.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
In that case, my best suggestion will be to stop eating at places/to stop shopping at places/to stop hiring companies that recruite illegals over the ones that give jobs to Americans. If you need some yard work done, don't ask Juan or Pedro -who might or might not be illegals- to do the job just to save some dollars, and instead contact Johny or Tim. If all Americans would star doing that, I'm pretty certain that most companies will start hiring Americans again.
Being bitter and whining is not a solution. If you want America to be white and prosperus, America will have work at it and part of the entitlement attitude will have to go.
And just how do you determine what restaurants and other businesses hire illegal aliens? Should we rush in there and ask for their workers green cards or citizenship papers?

I don't hire illegal aliens so you are preaching to the choir now but yes those Americans that do hire them are despicable. How do you propose we stop that? E-verify will stop most businesses from hiring them and I push for that. That does not however allieviate the guilt on the part of the illegals themselves who take jobs they have no right to.

Why do you persist with using words like whining? Is that what it is to want our jobs to go to Americans and our borders secured? Really? White and prosporous? What's with the "white" remark? Illegal immigration has impacted all Americans negatively regardless of their race. What entitlement attitude are you speaking of?

Unfortunately, this whole thing is going off topic. The topic was about the Spanish language. Shall we get back on topic now?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Fair enough Oldglory, back to the topic. As the Mexican economy grows and the Hispanic community establish itself as a desirable/profitable market, the need to speak Spanish in order to have a better job will become more and more important. However, English is and will always remain the language to speak in America, and the world as well. Knowing Spanish is a plus, but English still a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates