Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:35 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What are people even talking about with nonsense posts like this? Do people really believe this BS?

Can you please tell me the last time there were "hockey rioters" attacking black people? Please give us one example in the history of the U.S. when "hockey rioters" burned down buildings and shot at police.

We are talling about people rioting ON:Y because their team LOST A MATCH. Not for any larger reason. Not out of a sense of being blocked frtom alternative ways of expressing themselves. No because their team lost a match.

As to criminal behavior. Yes I am sure that Michael Brown's mother, who looked forward to seeing her son DEPART FOR COLLEGE would have preferred that the cops focused on those blacks who kill other than blacks than on her son, who she struggled to ensure that he took the right path, and thought that he had made it.

Now if you cannot understand this then you really ought not to be talking about this topic. The role of the police is to protect innocent people against criminals, NOT TO ENGAGE IN CRIMINAL behavior themselves.

As a frustrated MIDDLE CLASS black mother said. She didn't know what to do and feared for her son because he had to be AS AFRAID OF THE POLICE MEN as he has to be of the gangs. Except that her property taxes are being used to pay the police.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Moderator cut: -

I don't like it when anyone involves themselves in civil unrest, whatever the reason.
My question was(and not one person posting has given one single reason) why do blacks loot and burn buildings as a form of retaliation, when negotiating through proper channels with authority is the proven way to get their concerns addressed?
What is it in their nature that tells them to loot and burn, and destroy?

To answer one who posted;
It doesn't matter that the riots in Los Angeles happened in the early nineties, the fact is they happened, and blacks were the predominant factor in the looting, fires, and destruction.
My question remains, why?

Bob.

My problem with you is why you say blacks when 40 million people in the USA do NOT engage in riots and lootings on a regular basis and the MAJORITY OF THOSE IN THE LA RIOTS WERE HISPANIC!

Why is this a concept that is so hard to digest?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
Quote:
None of this is true. He had 4 felonies on his record, AND had a sealed juvenile record AND we found out today that he's on video robbing a liquor store the night he was killed. The victim is basically Exhibit A of the problems among many young black males.

So this is my point. No one on C-D knows what happened that night. It could be the cop is a killer, or it could be that the killing was totally justified self-defense. Until we know more, why are people protesting and rioting over a murky killing of a felon, when there are thousands of black males gunned down every year, many of them totally innocent bystanders? Isn't that kind of a bigger problem?

It's like your house is burning down, so you call the exterminator to deal with your termite problem. Huh? Black-on-black violence is strangling the black community, but no one cares. People only care if it's an issue with a white cop, and those issues are outnumbered 10,000-to-one to blacks killing blacks.

I'm sorry, but to me, it's hypocrisy. I want justice in this incident, but federal justice, not vigilante justice. If the cop is a murderer, then punish him as severely as possible. But I refuse to believe that "racist cops" are the problem holding back young black males. It's young black males who are exterminating each other.
It seems like black on black crime is accepted as the norm but I think if you dig deeper you'll find decent, civilized people protesting and demanding that it be stopped. Their protests are but a burp on the news because lets face the media loves drama. It's way more interesting to watch destruction then it is to see decent hard working people ask for help and looking for a peaceful solution to end the animal thug mentality. It's unusual to go a day here without a heart broken mother asking for witnesses to come forward to identify the useless life form that gunned down her innocent child because of some one being "disrespected." Yes it's true that when a cop kills someone it's front page news every where. It's sensational enough all right and a lot less rare then some thug with no regard for the innocent life they take on nearly a weekly basis if not daily basis here. Yawn, another drive by. Meh it's just the norm we've become accustomed to.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting issue

Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I

Educated people get angry, too, but they are more likely to start class action law suits or lobby Congress to pass laws restricting certain behaviors.

Two things.

1. The majority of the people were apparently protesting PEACEFULLY.

2. What contributed to the escalation into violence is the heavy handed and militaristic response of the police, and indeed no less than RAND PAUL condemns this.

This is not to excuse the criminal elements who no doubt took advantage of the disorder to engage in robberies and burglaries under the guise of civil protest, but then to not also condemn the police handling of this is to be EQUALLY inaccurate.

Please tell me why TWO JOURNALISTS, who were in a fast food restaurant charging their phones and getting a meal, were ARRESTED. Are you suggesting that they too were engaged in looting, or isn't this a case of an inept and disgraceful police force.

BTW having refused to release information for several days any one who believes what the police now say is a fool. They will release false information to cover their you know what now that the FBI and others are involved. This is clearly an out of control police force.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
We are talling about people rioting ON:Y because their team LOST A MATCH. Not for any larger reason. Not out of a sense of being blocked frtom alternative ways of expressing themselves. No because their team lost a match.
Exactly. Which is why I asked why you brought it up. It has nothing to do with race.

The hockey-type riots are not similar to this race-based rioting so the excuse "well there was hockey-based looting in the past, therefore race-based rioting is fine" is pretty silly. They're nothing alike, and I have never heard anyone defend idiot sports fans who go riot.
Quote:
As to criminal behavior. Yes I am sure that Michael Brown's mother, who looked forward to seeing her son DEPART FOR COLLEGE would have preferred that the cops focused on those blacks who kill other than blacks than on her son, who she struggled to ensure that he took the right path, and thought that he had made it.
We already know that the deceased was a thug; this is not in question. He had a sealed juvenile record, four felonies, and is on tape for a violent robbery. Obviously the mother is not a reliable source and whether or not he would have attended college is irrelevant.

All that matters is what happened between the cop and the deceased.
Quote:
Now if you cannot understand this then you really ought not to be talking about this topic. The role of the police is to protect innocent people against criminals, NOT TO ENGAGE IN CRIMINAL behavior themselves.
Again, the dead guy was a criminal, and the police officer had a 100% clean record, no previous complaints, and even awards for community policing in a black community, no less.

So you are asking us to believe that the thug is a poor victim, and the cop with a perfect record was some murderous, racist thug. This scenario is technically possible, but extremely unlikely. He had been working in this black community for many years without a single complaint. And the victim had just robbed a store, and knew police were out looking for him. It seems plausible, given his record, that he would resist arrest. It does not seem particularly plausible that the cop would just decide to execute a black man in the streets for the heck of it, and just coincidentally chose a black man who happened to be fleeing the police.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Hi CALGUY,
You said/asked "My .

I have sympathy for people who riot. My father explained to me one time that he lived in a nice neighborhood in Cleveland and it was full of many Czech immigrants and they all took care of the neighborhood. But when many blacks moved in and took over they did not take as good care. he did not blame them at all. He said it was because they were economically disadvantaged.

I suggest that you learn more about the red lining and the various scams of the 60s and 70s. Speculators DELIBERATELY targeted certain neighborhoods and set out to destroy them for profit.

First thing as to panic whites by spreading rumors, and by deliberately moving a few inappropriate people who happened to be black to ensure that the message stuck. The whites sold at a loss in a panic and so speculators bought these homes in the cheap.

They then turned around and sold these homes to first time buyers, who happened to be black, at exorbitant rates. There was deliberate bias in extending gov't backed mortgages to blacks on an equitable basis so many had to resort to unofficial sources.......often the same speculators. These blacks couldn't afford to maintain their homes as they were too busy trying to avoid foreclosure and eviction. When that did indeed occur the speculator bought the homes on the cheap, and the masquerade continued when another sucker moved in, maybe even poorer than the first.

The blacks who initially moved in, probably middle class, then left, seeing the neighborhood deteriorate, so there was concentrated poverty, a withdrawal of investment, declining social services and a rapid decent downwards. Speculators then turned the dwellings into rooming houses and refused to maintain these buildings. Some speculators realized that there was more money to be found in burning down these dwellings for the insurance money.

So here we have the modern US ghetto, established by racist gov't policies and greedy speculators and naïve black home buyers. Of course now the segregation isn't by race as the black middle, and even working classes, have long since gone. But it is now an intense concentration of losers, with no role models to learn from.

A new chapter to this saga is gentrification. The few black home buyers left, are eager to escape this miasma by selling to the new speculators who aim at young professionals (usually but not always white) seeking locations closer to central business districts. And a new wave of evictions by renters who now can no longer afford to live there, or by home owners who can't afford to pay the taxes now that the buildings have higher valuations.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:

2. What contributed to the escalation into violence is the heavy handed and militaristic response of the police, and indeed no less than RAND PAUL condemns this.
This is obviously not true either.

The "heavy handed and militaristic" response has ended, with the state police takeover, yet the looting last night was the worst yet.

Obviously the looting has nothing to do with the "heavy handed and militaristic" response, it's thugs trying to take advantage of the situation.
Quote:
Please tell me why TWO JOURNALISTS, who were in a fast food restaurant charging their phones and getting a meal, were ARRESTED. Are you suggesting that they too were engaged in looting, or isn't this a case of an inept and disgraceful police force.
Because the journalists refused police orders to clear the restaurant. Failure to comply with police orders is a crime.

Part of the reason they want the journalists out is probably because they have been outright fanning the flamings of the rioting by lying about the reality (deceased was a "good kid", police officer was "racist", kid had his hands up saying don't shoot, all these claims are, at this point, found to be not true). A second reason is that it's downright dangerous to be out on the streets now. Two white journalists were beaten by rioting thugs last night.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Which is why I asked why you brought it up. It has nothing to do with race.

The hockey-type riots are not similar to this race-based rioting so the excuse "well there was hockey-based looting in the past, therefore race-based rioting is fine" is pretty silly. They're nothing alike, and I have never heard anyone defend idiot sports fans who go riot.

We already know that the deceased was a thug; this is not in question. He had a sealed juvenile record, four felonies, and is on tape for a violent robbery. Obviously the mother is not a reliable source and whether or not he would have attended college is irrelevant.

Hockey riots have EVRYTHING to do with race because the OP implies that only blacks riot. SOME ELSE raised the issue of the hockey riots to indicate that rioting is hardly confined to blacks. So why POSE THE PROBLEM as a racial one, one it is about angry mobs. Frustrated either because they lost a match, or because they feel done upon by society.

What we do know is that this kid was going to college. WHAT YOU KNOW IS THAT THE POLICE ARE TRYING TO MAKE HIM INTO A THUG BECAUSE THIS PLAYS INTO THE NOTION THAT WHITE AMERICA has of black men. This being a standard tactic used. Trayvon Martin was a "thug" because he smoked weed and had occasional school fights, no different from huge numbers of white males.

I will await the FBI report before I cast final judgment on Michael Brown. What needs to concern YOU is that even Rand Paul, hardly a liberal, is upset about how the police in Ferguson are handling this issue. No this isn't just "limp wristed liberals" this time.

You see when police men ARREST journalists who were in a fast food restaurant they begin to lose credibility, except to those who are borderline racist. What reason was there for the restaurant to be cleared. That has NOT been established. And if an order is foolishly given that it shouldn't be supported!

Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Because there is no such thing. Violent crime rates among white Americans are not particularly high. They're pretty typical of most western nations. The only demographic group in the U.S. that has a crazy high violent crime rate is African Americans.

And you're completely missing the point. White/Hispanic/Asian people aren't out there rioting and blaming black people for killing their kids. In contrast, black people are rioting and looting, claiming that this is in response to some white (or nonblack) conspiracy to kill their kids.
No you don't get it. "Black people" are rioting and looting. Some people are. I am not responsible for the behavior of "some people." As I mentioned, in my city random trouble makers came out to cause trouble because they could blend in with the legit protesters. Apparently it is easier for you to blame all of us for the behavior of a few bad seeds.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No you don't get it. "Black people" are rioting and looting. Some people are. I am not responsible for the behavior of "some people." As I mentioned, in my city random trouble makers came out to cause trouble because they could blend in with the legit protesters. Apparently it is easier for you to blame all of us for the behavior of a few bad seeds.
Agreed, no one should blame black people for the crimes of a small minority of black people.

At the same time, trying to hide the obvious problem of black-on-black crime, mostly by young black males (including the victim in this case), is making a mockery of the situation. The only reason this incident is in the news is because the officer was white. If he was black, no one would care. All the blacks murdered on the streets of the U.S. tonight will receive no comparable press coverage.

So the problem is the selective outrage. Do the protesters really care about saving young black lives, or are they taking advantage of a bad situation for their own ends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates