Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Hey I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a logical explanation for how someone could learn piano or any other instrument without lessons? Jimmie Swaggart for example said that he learned his piano playing abilities straight from god. Is is psychologically possible to inherit a skill without lessons just as it is possible to speak in a separate language (xenoglossilalia) without being taught first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobun View Post
Hey I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a logical explanation for how someone could learn piano or any other instrument without lessons? Jimmie Swaggart for example said that he learned his piano playing abilities straight from god. Is is psychologically possible to inherit a skill without lessons just as it is possible to speak in a separate language (xenoglossilalia) without being taught first?
I think this is in the wrong forum but it will be moved shortly. Anyway, I learned basic keyboarding and music theory on my own and from a friend and a music theory book. While I know exactly what I am doing, because I did not take actual lessons, I cannot play like a real pianist but I can compose entire songs. What lessons will teach you is proper fingering techniques as well as drills to improve skill. In the case of an actual piano, proper use of the pedals as well which is something I don't have to deal with.

Now, I've never heard of anyone spontaneously speaking a separate language.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Some people just have a musical ear. I my self learned the bass, and the drums on my own....just by picking them up. Don't ask me to read sheet music though, because it's all Chinese to me.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Some people just have a musical ear. I my self learned the bass, and the drums on my own....just by picking them up. Don't ask me to read sheet music though, because it's all Chinese to me.
Reading music doesn't make one a musician anyway. It's just a language that allows you to play someone else's music. There are people who can play by reading but take the sheets from in front of then and they couldn't play a tune to save their lives. Some of the most famous songs were written by musicians who could not read music.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Is is psychologically possible to inherit a skill without lessons just as it is possible to speak in a separate language (xenoglossilalia) without being taught first?
I'm not sure about psychologically but there are people who have a gift and/or talent. Example, Mozart
was fascinated and listened to his sister and father play. His father noticed what pleasure his
son had in music and began to teach him when he was 4 yrs old. By the age of 5 wrote his first composition.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Money can be an intoxicating incentive to discover your hidden talents!

A movie director comes to you, offers you a million dollars to feign making love to an older unattractive man, or he orders you to cry on demand, what an Oscar-wining performance you might put on, without any training whatsoever!

I view many actors to be untalented, but with money dangling in front of your eyes..........................

Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Sometimes, a person will naturally inherit a certain skill or subset of skills. The exact neurological reasons may be unclear, but it is the truth. I have never taken any photography classes nor have I ever formally studied composition, but my photographic potential was obvious to the people around me almost from the day I first started practicing. When one considers that my mother, her mother, and her mother's sister (among many other people on her side of the family) also have very similar levels of visual artistic skill, it makes more sense than if it had happened in isolation.

My sister and brother don't have the same skill, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if somewhere down the line one of their children or children's children eventually inherits the skill. The same can probably be said for musical talent and many other kinds of specialized artistic skills.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 PM

176 posts, read 420,278 times
I am fairly sure anyone with enough drive can do almost anything they want to do.
I also think people are getting to the point now days in our busy lives that a lot don't spend enough time to get good at anything.
Most anyone who is good at anything from music to sports or what ever worked and practiced to get that way.
As far as being taught something there are a lot of people who don't learn anything with out doing it them self hands on. I am one of those.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Although I play guitar, I learned it over fifty years and it came mostly through a lot of practice. I neither read music and I have never taken lessons so I am quite sure I could never attain the level of a Segovia.

However, although much can be said for practice, one has to consider that anatomy and physiology differ between people trying to learn to play a musical instrument. Like the nerves that control a perfectly formed larynx allowing some people to become great vocalists, there are also nerves existing between one's auditory and interpretative mechanisms and the fingers that form the varying sounds in many musical instruments. I've always suspected there may be a better organization of those nerves in some people that allows them to more easily succeed at any given level of practice. Or maybe some people are just better at training their nerves-to-motor muscles?

Wherever my very limited musical skills come from, money certainly had nothing to do with it. Had I thought I would ever be good enough to play for money, I'd be starving to death among the real talent playing on the streets of San Francisco and New Orleans.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
It's not possible
there's several factors:
- Constantly being exposed to it by a relative or friend
- Having a relative or friend that is willing to help you / teach you

The God given talent is the ability to pick it up quickly.

I have always been good in sports... but my older son sucks at sports
I always try to teach my two older sons sports, my 2nd one is amazing at it, my older one looks as if he has never played sports in his whole life.
- They are constantly exposed to it
- They have a relative to teach them
One can't learn it worth a crap and the other picks it up very quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates