Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

Simple question, and I'm saying $100 just to have a nice round number

What should be the tip on a $100 meal with bad service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:08 PM

538 posts, read 539,154 times
Define "bad" service.

To me, anywhere from nothing to 5%. I would make sure I informed the server why before I left, and then let the restaurant owner/manager know as well.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I still consider 10% to be standard, more or less based on the service. I'd probably go with $5 but it depends on just how bad it was. If there were just mistakes it's one thing, but if the server just didn't seem to care, there would be no tip at all.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:38 PM

251 posts, read 299,774 times
Bad service=No Tip. Even if it was a $1,000 meal.
I especially avoid restaurants that include tip cost in the bill. By them doing that, they can treat you as bad as they want and still get a tip.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
If the person gives bad service but is trying very hard and seems genuinely apologetic and the bad service is a product of that server being 'swamped" in work because the company they work for didnt hire enough employees, than i usually give the full tip.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
Depends on the reason. If the server is doing their best (judgment call) but things just aren't going well, I'll give them 15%.

I'll offer no tip if the poor service is due to a lackadaisical server.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
First the OP has not defined "bad service" -- that could be anything from a VERY subjective / picky assessment of a server not be sufficiently cheerful to a much more objective assessment that the server got multiple parts of the order VERY wrong and made no effort to correct it...

In either case it is almost always the case that in the US a substantial part of the server's earnings are based on the ASSUMPTION that they will receive some gratuity.

In situations where I have not be satisfied with the server performing their required job well (which is very very rare) I have generally made an effort to ask some other member of the restaurant staff to put me in touch with management / supervisory staff. At any nicer restaurant that has resulted in some kind of apology / adjustment. In those case I did give the server a proper gratuity. To do otherwise is simply not the right thing to do.

I have even been a guest of other paying the tab and when they have wanted to leave no tip I have advised them to follow a similar path -- ask for supervisor / management, explain situation, get apology / adjustment , leave fair tip.

I don't know what I would do if no one took responsibility but honestly that has never happened...

Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
If you don't leave a tip, you aren't sending a message to the waiter, they simply think you forgot.

Bad service: 5-10%
Average service: 15%
Great service : 20% and up.

Since I was in the industry for a long time, I have never tipped under 10%. With the exception of last week! We were sat, the waitress came and asked our drink order. She brought two drinks and walked away, even when I said, can we order? (She may not have heard me). She started taking orders from tables that were sat after us. My husband waved his arms, no one would walk over. We put $5 on the table and walked out.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
A lot of servers blow it by not doing some very basic things. One of my pet peeves is a server who never comes back to check on you. I have had to flag down a server to get my drink refilled, or to bring me something that was omitted from the meal. I have actually told another server who was passing by "If my server is still alive would you send them by?"

I also hate it when they simply plunk down the check without asking if you want anything else........maybe I would have ordered desert, or maybe I wanted a to go box.

There have been times that I left no tip but I wrote on the signed restaurant copy of the check "NO TIP, POOR SERVICE". After all, TIPS stands for "To Insure Prompt Service" and if I am not getting good service that negates my responsibility to leave one or much. However, I am normally a very good tipper, going well beyond the normal 20%, and if I get great service I say "Thank you for the excellent service" when the server is giving me my check. I also will ask for the manager sometimes and them them how much I enjoyed the meal and how good ___________ was in serving that meal.

Don

Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,140 times
I have only done this once in my whole life, but I learned from my parents a very old custom of leaving just one penny on the table tail side up which means you believe the server gave you bad service. Normally we leave 10% if the service was below average but this one time it was one thing after another and the surliness and combativeness of the server and the manager's lack of concern had us walk out before our entrees were served. We were shocked because we had been going to this place occasionally for many years. Must have been a 24 hour sickness in the restaurant that affected all the staff.....

Last edited by crystalys; 01-02-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates