Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why do we need more people? aren't there enough on welfare already? unemployed? I really hope "immigration" doesn't turn into breeding ground here cause that would suck even more.
As I wrote a million times before in this thread, the population is aging. The elderly are living longer and are going to need young people to take care of them. If the proportion of the population that is young declines which is going to happen if the elderly live longer and the young aren't properly supplied, there will be a shortage of people to even support the elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
As I wrote a million times before in this thread, the population is aging. The elderly are living longer and are going to need young people to take care of them. If the proportion of the population that is young declines which is going to happen if the elderly live longer and the young aren't properly supplied, there will be a shortage of people to even support the elderly.
Have you seen how much it costs to raise a child these days? There is no incentive here to have more kids! As it is, the wrong people end up multiplying and eating up tax dollars like it's cake!

There is an "Aging population" % that cannot retire because they were never in CEO positions to have been offered retirement benefits or pensions. Most companies don't offer pensions here FORCING RETIREES TO WORK to pay rent, mortgage and pay for medication. There are plenty of young people working minimum wage jobs, plenty of college educated people working minimum wage jobs, because the other side of the "aging population" sits pretty on 6 figures! Take the entire Gov as prime example of that.

There is no incentive given to families to WANT to multiply. There is no job security, no maternity leave, daycare costs as much as rent or a mortgage for a mansion, and healthy food which parents would prefer to feed their children is very expensive=Whole Foods etc.

Did I mention how parents from their ridiculous wages have to support public schools too because the Gov is not supplying them with what they need? and we need "fund raisers" to have a track in the school yard?

To many things will have to be addressed to make "parenthood" appealing these days! Like I said before, I HOPE we won't have to rely on Immigration to continue to populate the states! THAT will lead us back to slavery, which in many forms never left us. Think DEBT!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
You wrote an entire lengthy post and still failed to address the issue I raised in the original post: aging population. As I mentioned before, without supplying the population with younger people, eventually the population will be mostly older people who are going to need support and care from the young. What do you suppose is the solution if birth rate stays low and immigration isn't an option?
Did you even see post #24 (right above mine)? Did you even look at the chart? If you had, you would have seen that if we completely shut off immigration, the population would still increase by 40 million by 2050

So, basically, what you are proposing is nothing but a Ponzi scheme. Bring in young immigrants to pay into SSA. And what happens when those young immigrants become old immigrants? Do we bring in even more young immigrants? Where does it end for YOU? Guess what, Ponzi schemes never end well.

You fail to take into consideration that we have finite resources and are running out of potable water and buildable land. So much of our farm land has been plowed over to build subdivisions. Not to mention raising livestock to feed the populace requires prodigious amounts of water, as does farm land. Look at what happens now when areas are in drought conditions---there are fights as to where the water should go---farms or residences.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Complete Nonsense,

You simply do not know what you are talking about. Are you an economist? Immigration keeps the economic wheel rolling, greases it. Moves the economy along. Lifts all boats.
Immigrants are the economy. Get that? Simply because it causes a stimulation, an increase in
total commerce. An Extra. The flow of money. This never stops. It is the secret behind the San Antonio, Texas success. A city that is always prospering, always growing, it is an amazing place. American immigration and Mexican immigration have added to the mix here, for hundreds of years now and
people have lived there , in the River Valley for 11,000 years.
They take nothing and give an amazing amount.
Japan stagnates without immigration, and they know it. Japan knows the U.S. economy thrives only, because of immigration. This is what is.
Another poster.....
Infastructure comes and goes , always, since the days of Roman Emperors. Some of those Roman roads still exist. Dwindling resources?
The human population will grow, it matters little what we write here. Economic growth is the only way
an economy will work because it must keep up with population growth.A stagnant economy will lag and
wither on the vine. People with it.
A demographic shift is a demographic shift of the populace of a continent. All of the tongue wagging can flow spittle here as much as it wants. This is what it is.

The commentary on union thinking was hilarious.
The real question is what do you really think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Wrong!

Illegal aliens do NOT help the economy "massively".

You must be a cheerleader for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor. Some illegals get paid under the table thus don't pay taxes. Much of their money gets sent out of the country.

Who do you think pays for it if they go to a doctor or need hospitalization? The taxpayers. Who do you think pays for the education of their kids who come to school not knowing a word of English and the Spanish they know is atrocious? The taxpayers.

Illegal aliens take far, far more than they give. In no way, shape or form are they "a blessing in disguise". They have displaced unskilled Americans in the work force. I guess if you are happy about Americans getting displaced in the work force, then that explains why you find illegals to be a blessing.

As for unions---They actually like illegals because they see them as future members

Old 02-11-2015, 04:29 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Immigration aside.... Why do we need to solve the declining birth rate? The earth is nearing max capacity. Decline might be a good thing.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

105 posts, read 181,750 times
Don't worry. Obamacare is designed to make sure that the number of seniors who are dependent on young people declines dramatically by denying them life extending care that will add years (and costs) to their lives.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
A declining population isn't necessarily a problem. So what if statistically, the nation is shrinking. As long as people have jobs, food, health care etc, I don't see a problem. Its better than bringing in a bunch of people that make the situation worse, like we have in the USA today.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
You simply do not know what you are talking about. Are you an economist? Immigration keeps the economic wheel rolling, greases it. Moves the economy along. Lifts all boats.
Immigrants are the economy. Get that? Simply because it causes a stimulation, an increase in
total commerce. An Extra. The flow of money. This never stops. It is the secret behind the San Antonio, Texas success. A city that is always prospering, always growing, it is an amazing place. American immigration and Mexican immigration have added to the mix here, for hundreds of years now and
people have lived there , in the River Valley for 11,000 years.
They take nothing and give an amazing amount.
Japan stagnates without immigration, and they know it. Japan knows the U.S. economy thrives only, because of immigration. This is what is.
Another poster.....
Infastructure comes and goes , always, since the days of Roman Emperors. Some of those Roman roads still exist. Dwindling resources?
The human population will grow, it matters little what we write here. Economic growth is the only way
an economy will work because it must keep up with population growth.A stagnant economy will lag and
wither on the vine. People with it.
A demographic shift is a demographic shift of the populace of a continent. All of the tongue wagging can flow spittle here as much as it wants. This is what it is.

The commentary on union thinking was hilarious.
The real question is what do you really think?

No, it is YOU who "simply [does] not know what you are talking about.

So, according to you we should continue letting 1 million legal immigrants a year and Lord knows how many illegals? What would be too many for YOU when all is said and done? 1 billion? 2 billion? If having so many people in a country is such a good thing, then explain why India is not a first world paradise.

You also seem to think that we have infinite resources, when in fact we are running out of potable water and buildable land. We lose farm land every year when it gets plowed over to create subdivisions.

It's despicable that you want to recklessly grow the population with no thought about the effects on the environment and natural resources.

What you are proposing is incredibly irresponsible.

Back when this country had 200 million people, the economy was doing fine. Unemployment was low, we had less gridlock on the roads, more farm land and more natural resources.

It's irresponsible to continually add large numbers of people with no thought to the long term consequences when it comes to the environment. How good would the economy be if we had severe shortages of potable water and buildable land? Think about it.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I don't understand the OP's position at all. It makes absolutely no sense at all. The only thing I can see is that OP is a supporter of illegal immigration and is not looking at the dynamics involved with illegal immigration. This idea will never sell to those of us who see what illegal immigration is doing to our welfare system and education system. In areas with heavy illegal immigrant population, the city is turning 3rd world from dumpy, overcrowded hovels to the diseases brought in.

So many children are being born into poverty now by uneducated people or those that expect the rest of us who were smart enough not to have more children than we could afford that we surely don't need anymore.

Illegal immigration makes me sick as it is not sustaining our country but destroying it. Until I started seeing it up close and personal, I had no idea the decay that it was bringing to our society.

We do not have jobs for these people and we cannot carry the load for any more freeloaders.

Most seniors are now holding jobs beyond retirement and don't need younger people to care for them. Actually with the retirement age getting further and further away as we age, we won't need to replace the work force.

OP, get a clue about illegal immigration!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Yeah, I'm not so sure. Every time I'm in Wal-Mart and see some non-English speaking Hispanic lady with six kids and a shiny EBT card, I hardly think more immigration is the answer.

Our country is already overcrowded as it is and we're running out of resources. I don't understand why declining population is a problem. There will always be plenty of people to take care of the aging population. Heck, I have friends who are nurses and can't get hired full time because the industry is so saturated.

We already have enough uneducated, unskilled people in this country, we don't need any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates