Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
As long as people don't go to jail for lying,.....
Who says you have to lie. I'll give you two examples in the heating industry. When giving square footage for something what a stove could heat they always use the phrase "up to X sq. ft." This only applies under ideal conditions with super insulated house in mild weather.

Another thing I've seen is these expensive electric heaters, they'll show you an image from a FLIR camera where their heater has greater heat distribution. What they don't show you is they are comparing to a radiant heater instead of similar model with fan like theirs. They will also make claims about saving on your energy bill which can be true but only under certain circumstances.

They aren't lying but it's not exactly the full truth either. I'm not sure how you prevent companies from doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Marketing is what it is, that is to sell whatever product. It doesn't necessarily represent a truth or need its main purpose is to convince people to buy a product.

I don't think we can regulate "truth" it's subjective but we should teach people to be aware that they can be manipulated by commercial media and leave any judgment to their own devices.
Agreed.

While most people FF or take a break during commercials, I love to watch them. Some are ingeniously clever in how they deliver the message.

Advertising involves a whole lot more than just the words, be they truth or exaggeration or just suggestion set in the perfect imagery to lead one to the desired conclusion. In the end, they didn't really lie, they simply manipulated the target audience to want to try the product. Repetition is also very effective. If we see it often enough, we become comfortable with it and tend to gloss over any reservations we had and start to believe it.

It's all a psychological mind game and one needs to be aware of the ploys (and there are many, e.g. there are the claims; there's artistic presentation -- imagery suggesting refreshment, or enjoyment or relief from pain or worry or debt or whatever it is the viewer/audience "really needs/wants/must have", often accompanied by sweet sounds of music or nature, with smiling people apparently enjoying life once again.)

Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Agreed.

While most people FF or take a break during commercials, I love to watch them. Some are ingeniously clever in how they deliver the message.

Advertising involves a whole lot more than just the words, be they truth or exaggeration or just suggestion set in the perfect imagery to lead one to the desired conclusion. In the end, they didn't really lie, they simply manipulated the target audience to want to try the product. Repetition is also very effective. If we see it often enough, we become comfortable with it and tend to gloss over any reservations we had and start to believe it.

It's all a psychological mind game and one needs to be aware of the ploys (and there are many, e.g. there are the claims; there's artistic presentation -- imagery suggesting refreshment, or enjoyment or relief from pain or worry or debt or whatever it is the viewer/audience "really needs/wants/must have", often accompanied by sweet sounds of music or nature, with smiling people apparently enjoying life once again.)

Can you say.....they are attempting to seduce those who are weak, deceived, etc.

And, I realize some are Okay in style, to deliver their message. Therefore, some ads are helpful.....and entertaining.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-18-2015 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Removed color font

Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Who says you have to lie. I'll give you two examples in the heating industry. When giving square footage for something what a stove could heat they always use the phrase "up to X sq. ft." This only applies under ideal conditions with super insulated house in mild weather.

Another thing I've seen is these expensive electric heaters, they'll show you an image from a FLIR camera where their heater has greater heat distribution. What they don't show you is they are comparing to a radiant heater instead of similar model with fan like theirs. They will also make claims about saving on your energy bill which can be true but only under certain circumstances.

They aren't lying but it's not exactly the full truth either. I'm not sure how you prevent companies from doing this.
Good post.

I think there's a difference between outright lying and bending the truth a bit. Everyone bends the truth, but the bending isn't so far off......its kind of like someone charging 3.99 instead of 4.00.

Also, it depends on what you're bending the truth about, if its a heater that's one thing, if you're bending about health supplements or medicine or something that could affect someone's life, its different than a heater but i do agree with your points for the most part.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM

187 posts, read 270,240 times
Advertisers do anything they can to sell their product to the consumer. While they cannot flat out lie, they can certainly exaggerate and stretch the truth - which is what a lot of consumers seem to forget or be ignorant of.

I read an article recently regarding the load and tow ratings of trucks and how they were advertised. 'The Ford F150, the only 1/2 ton truck with a 10,000 pound tow rating.' 'The Dodge RAM, the only 1/2 ton with a 13,000 pound tow rating.' Turns out that yes, these trucks did meet the advertised ratings - if you removed the bumpers, spare tires, tailgates, and just about anything else that wasn't required to physically drive the body and frame down the road. At what point can the company be charged with false advertising?

Personally, I would love to see some more truth in advertising; I tend to research everything I purchase and ignore advertising, but the average consumer is generally under-informed and makes purchases based on advertising and name/brand recognition. On the other hand, many businesses would suffer if they had to advertise on truthful statements. Would Ford sell as many trucks if they advertised the true load ratings? Would Samsung still be a top HDTV seller if all TV manufacturers had a standard measuring and comparison tool (instead of their own "contrast" and "color" ratings)? Do you think Apple would sell as many devices if they advertised their engineered-obsoletion methods? Or would being forced to advertise truthfully lead to better designed products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates