Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:03 PM

685 posts, read 723,561 times

Advertisements

It's a simple message engrained in us. Do you believe in truth in advertising (that marketing, in other words isn't lying to us)?

Why or why not? If you have time, I have a follow-up. If you don't believe in truth in advertising, is it okay or do you think it's important enough to make advertisers tell the complete truth (whether possible or not).

I'll start it with a simple and annoying big no, there isn't and has not been truth in advertising. No one will likely mention my example because it's regarding Miracle Ear. Many moons ago, there was a commercial about how the Miracle Ear hearing aid cut down background noise. I watched the commercial knowing at that point in time, this concept with an analog (vs digital) aid could not dampen background noise. It took a long time but the FCC did crack down on them and had M.Ear take the commercial off the air.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-10-2015 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Removed icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,999,615 times
I think to an extent there is BUT there are exceptions and limitations. Say Kashi being more healthy than other brands of cereal is true but if it is better tasting, it is based on generalities, not specifics.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,732,561 times
As long as people don't go to jail for lying, they will continue to lie to make money. I don't condone it and i would never do it myself, but if you can make more money by lying, why would you tell the truth?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 PM

mkpunk: Yep, I agree. That's why I was so surprised the FCC actually pulled the Miracle Ear commercial off the air. Hey, I thought of
one other... to a tune that some of us will remember: Chock Full of Nuts is a heavenly coffee. Best coffee anywhere money can buy. In some later years, "Best" was changed to "Better." Sometimes writing things like this makes me feel older than I am. Anyone out there remember the commercial?

wall st kid: If the FCC pulled the one commercial for obvious false advertising, why not pull others off? Maybe (I literally
just thought of this), the audience to whom the commercial was directed was so low that pulling it didn't cause any major
harm to a hearing aid company that back then catered to the elderly and they continue to be insignificant. Your posts are
decent (irritating because I agree). Thoughts about this?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-10-2015 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,332,912 times
I absolutely DO NOT believe there is truth in advertising....though there should be.
I don't believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see.
If news net works can blatantly lie to us, daily, it's easy to understand how advertising can and will do the same.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,810,545 times
Advertisement has always been the realm of exaggeration and boast. Remember snake oil salesmen? People have to rely on their own experience and skepticism in evaluating advertising. And not only commercial advertising: political advertising is worse. And in NY, public employee advertising around state budget time is the worst of all.

Advertising by colleges is pretty bad, too.

A better way to evaluate products, politicians, colleges in by the market. Markets are the most reliable exposers of information, what works and what doesn't. Whatever has a good reputation, as uncovered by peoples experience, is a much safer bet than something that excels most at making claims.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I absolutely DO NOT believe there is truth in advertising....though there should be.
I don't believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see.
If news net works can blatantly lie to us, daily, it's easy to understand how advertising can and will do the same.
What a frickin' good analogy! I flip through media sites CNN/MSNBC and know most of what I read (closed caption) is bs. But when they're showing things like Obama and dignitaries walking across the infamous bridge in Selma, I watch it listen to Obama's speech - real or not but it's history again in the making.

I have/had (I don't talk to him - he's ill and very old now) a friend who worked as an advertiser in NYC. He said he has seen prices pumped up on inferior products to make them seem better. If it costs more, it must be. I'm always on the lookout that I don't fall into the hole and I've fallen down it a few times in life then sanity grips me .

Believing in half (I'm probably less than half) of what you see is safe and I so respect that.

I'm helping a friend check out digital aids. I went to the audiologist to meet and inspect her first before dragging my friend with me (she doesn't live close). When audiologists bs me, I can tell. As I just wrote
my friend, my goal is to protect her and to make an appt. with this new person. I wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't had so many bad experiences with audiologists (who sell hearing aids) who lie.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 AM

19,146 posts, read 27,784,656 times
Yes, there is SOME truth to them. Factitious. But, there is much more over exaggeration and skewed presentation. Even if they will refer to a research or an article - it's most likely paid for. If I ever even look at an ad, my gaze automatically goes down to the VERY fine print.
In a nutshell, it's same principle as $2.99 and 99 tenths gas price. For crying out loud, we KNOW it's 3 bucks.
That's why I do not have cable for years now. I'm streaming TV and I can skip any commercial. 3 minutes FF. Done.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,602,727 times
Marketing is what it is, that is to sell whatever product. It doesn't necessarily represent a truth or need its main purpose is to convince people to buy a product.

I don't think we can regulate "truth" it's subjective but we should teach people to be aware that they can be manipulated by commercial media and leave any judgment to their own devices.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Marketing is what it is, that is to sell whatever product. It doesn't necessarily represent a truth or need its main purpose is to convince people to buy a product.

I don't think we can regulate "truth" it's subjective but we should teach people to be aware that they can be manipulated by commercial media and leave any judgment to their own devices.
You made a really curious statement, "truth" (is) subjective. I disagree. If you are discussing truth, it is objective or we're sunk. The person viewing truth may see it as subjective, however, but it doesn't mean the object being discussed is not a truth or the truth and it can't be subjective (or it's not true).

Yes, I agree the object of marketing is to use any means necessary to sell a product whether through lies or exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates